by MufflerMan Mike - April 15th 2024 8:19 pm
Featured Links

Thread Like Summary
Dyno_Dave, frscke1, NateB, Rusty Pancelode, Wedgy
Original Post (Thread Starter)
My 72 Dodge Chop Project #755740 01/13/2020 1:37 AM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
I picked up this 72 a few months ago.....was only 3 miles from my house.....had been sitting in a carport for 20 years....and was $350!!!!! Going to fix the body rust, build some crazy ground effects and chop the top!
Brought it home and washed off 20 years of dust/dirt.

[Linked Image]IMG-2087 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-2094 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG-2105 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
Liked Replies
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #785190 Nov 15th a 10:38 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Started laying out and cutting the hood for the hood scoops.

This is the design I am trying to achieve:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Hood scoops by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

Laid out the cut lines and then cut. The wood blocks are just there to hold it open and let the metal flex until I weld a 1/4" rod opening....then will have to fill in the sides. I plan on making the openings a little taller. I like where it is heading.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]HS1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]HS2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]HS3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
3 members like this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #777715 Jun 16th a 02:17 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Engine and tranny back in. Now to install the headers, hook up the linkage and wiring and fire it up!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chop engine by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
2 members like this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #784969 Nov 11th a 08:46 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Finally got the side doors cut down to fit and I have finished all the flares and ground effects all the way around the van. Have to finish the top of the passenger door and then want to cut two recessed scoops in the hood and then the real fun begins....cutting the windshield and finding side glass that will work.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chopped van side doors by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]chop effects by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]CE1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]CE3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
2 members like this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #785021 Nov 12th a 01:58 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Originally Posted by SDMickey
So nice Lee. And isn't this the van you got for Free? Awesome work.

Almost free. I paid $350 for it. Had to fix some rust and swap the motor. I always wanted to chop one but didn't want to invest too much money in case I screwed it up and had nothing but a scrap van left!
2 members like this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #800727 Jan 18th a 11:54 PM
by DrCaldre
DrCaldre
Every time big red surgery photos pop up I'm happy. Reminds you what's possible. I guess I joined the van surgery club lately with new windshield metal.

Lee, when I talk about custom vans or this forum with people, sometimes they don't get it.

Then I pull up your build threads and they understand. Absolutely epic dodge vans man.
2 members like this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #765117 Aug 28th a 10:29 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Finished trimming and welding the other half of the front spoiler on.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG-6474 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG-6478 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
1 member likes this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #776644 May 24th a 12:43 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Put the engine into the chopped van. Now have to install the carburetor, linkage, transmission, radiator.....and the list goes on. Kept the carburetor off (and almost left the intake off) due to the reduced room to work with going in through the passenger door due to the chop.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chopped van new motor 2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Chopped van new motor by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
1 member likes this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #785084 Nov 13th a 05:07 PM
by Dyno_Dave
Dyno_Dave
Originally Posted by Lee7673
If I just had to cut across the top I would attempt it (I know a few people who have done it). But….I pulled the sides in so I have to cut across the top and down both sides. I think I am going to have it cut with a water jet.

I hope you can catch some action shots f that being done, along with the results.
1 member likes this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #788375 Feb 13th a 07:30 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Finishing up the metal work on the van so I can start the bodywork. Finishing the passenger front door (what a PIA....everything changes....the top of the doors get longer, the widths don't match up etc) and started filling in the sides of the front scoops. Fitted the windows and realize I am going to have to make side glass (ughhh). When I chopped the top I decided to pull the sides in vs widening the roof so the curvature of the door glass changed (I was given a tip of someone else who had to make side glass of what car class to start with). Always something new on this project!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]chopped van raw metal1 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]front window raw metal chopped van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]front window chopped van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Hood scoop chopped van by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
1 member likes this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #788892 Feb 28th a 02:48 PM
by Lee7673
Lee7673
Hood scoops are done (just need a little touch up and need to find some screen/grate for the back of the scoops). I wanted to "break up" the spoiler as it was a lot of straight sheet metal so I cut and welded two closed scoops in the spoiler just to give it a little different appearance.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Spoiler vent by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Spoiler vent 2 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Spoiler vent 3 by Lee Hatfield, on Flickr
1 member likes this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #800726 Jan 18th a 08:05 PM
by frscke1
frscke1
My van got slammed the whole side of the van was wiped and I went to a JY to get my metal ... cost $400 for the whole side of that van

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Had them slice the whole side of a van to get me my metal....

They cut what they needed ....

As Big Red sits today ...

1 member likes this
Re: My 72 Dodge Chop Project #800760 Jan 19th a 05:37 PM
by Wedgy
Wedgy
That was a metric ton and a half of work, time, frustration, and money. Turned out nice! Cool to see it up close and give you a ride from the driveline shop. That alone was a long grind just to straighten out the entire driveline.
Good job Scott!

Off to WrenchaPart! Gday!
1 member likes this
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
rick74, Keithl, G10brett, Debusen, mkmc69
12734 Registered Users