by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Thread Like Summary
ah64pilot, Charlie 99909, cornfarmer, frscke1, NEmery, Rusty Pancelode
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Queen Anne's Revenge #747425 04/18/2019 1:36 AM
by kursed
kursed
So I FINALLY found a new mistress! She hasn't told me her name yet, so I named the thread best I could. She's a little hesitant to leave her current home and come live with me, but she's warming up to the idea more each day.

I've been going through withdrawals ever since I sold the 76 long box Chevy (was called "the Rum Cutter", now appropriately named "Ramblin' Van") to Mr. LaGrange in Kentucky. I bought a 1968 Chevy K10, which I love, but just wasn't the same not Vannin' anymore. So the 68 K10 will be up for sale in a week or two. Out riding around Monday and decided to check on a local 1983 G10 shorty (looks like an 82 grill to me, but he said it's an 83) I checked on two years ago. The van has some history hauling a Ford Pinto mini-modified dirt track car to and from the local racetrack back in the 80's and 90's. I remember seeing it sitting in the infield when I would watch my uncle race dirt track as a kid back then. There was a long wheelbase G10 painted to match it. Apparently the owner worked for Federated Auto Parts back then and had worked out some sort of sponsorship with them, so he painted her up in the Federated Auto Parts colors complete with stripes.

She is amazingly solid for her age with the only bad cancer in the rear of the slide and in front of the rear wheels. There is a little creeping through on the windshield channel, but I'll take care of all of that very soon. The previous owner said she started overheating one night in 2016 on the way home from a job, so he took out the thermostat to see if that would help. Soon after he noticed some water from the tailpipe and got scared that it might be a head gasket issue, so it's been parked since then. When I stopped the first time two years ago, he was super hesitant to let her go, but gave me a ballpark price in case he changed his mind as he knew he wouldn't get to the head gaskets anytime soon and hated seeing her sit like that. When I stopped by this time, he was willing to let her go and said since I had seemed to fall in love with her, he knocked $2,500 off the price! My jaw hit the floor and I literally ran for the bank as quick as I could get there.

So the past couple days I've just been getting to know her. I gave him half down until he finds the title. He is SUPER busy running a vending machine business and doing vinyl wraps with his son in the evenings, so I'm not sweating it. I put two decent used tires on the front yesterday, and grabbed a top post battery from NAPA since the cables were beyond trash. I figured as long as I'm changing the cables might as well change to top post since I prefer that style anyway. But when I hopped in and turned the key I got nothing but crickets. No clicks, no buzzing, nothing. Dome lights worked, headlights and dash lights, but nothing from the starter or otherwise. She did not want to cooperate. I was tired and sweaty anyway, so I packed up my pride and went home to rest. I did get to meet Mr. Howard Lickliter of the "Lickliter Bros Comp Coupe" fame (1961 National Champions in their '31 Austin bodied Hemi powered comp coupe). He and his brother Pete ran a speed shop in my hometown called "Staunton Speed & Sport from the 50's through the 60's. Super great guy, one of my drag racing heroes. So freaking cool to meet him and shoot the breeze for a minute.

This morning I slept in a little, got up to a fresh pot of coffee and a fresh outlook on the ignition deal. It had to either be the lock and tumbler, or the ignition switch electrical switch part halfway down the column. So I headed over to give her a look. First thing I did was try to turn the lock tumbler in my hand without the key to see how much slop it had and to my surprise it turned all the way and she tried cranking over. So apparently she just doesn't like the key at all. Patted the gas a few times and she fired right up like she was running all this time without sitting. Gotta love a good tuned Quadrajet man. So I patted her on the dash and let her know she was in good hands, took some pictures to share, and went about my business for the rest of the day.

Stopped by a local-ish junkyard where I've found a sweet stash of vans a few years ago hidden from most prying eyes. I'll be pulling all sorts of parts soon, to include a 71-77 front clip, bumpers, port windows, all sorts of goodies. The plan is to paint her with a solid paint scheme, satin deep blue pearl for now until all the bodywork is completed so at least folks don't think I'm out delivering parts for Federated Auto. Blue interior. Slots or Cragar S/S rims 15x10 rear and 15x8 fronts. I can't wait to get to work and turn her around for the better. She supposedly has a 350 from an old dirt track street stock Monte Carlo and a th350 at the moment. I will run the numbers later down the road to see what it all is.

Damn it feels good to be a Vanner again!

How I found her on Monday
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Meeting Mr. Howard Lickliter for the first time
[Linked Image]

After the two used tires on the front
[Linked Image]

Lots of dirt and grime from years of hauling a race car and sitting a lot between races, but otherwise pretty darn solid!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Someone cut some of the bracing out of the passenger rear corner at some point. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. Also there was a vent or something in the roof. Sheet metal patch has been welded in.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Quick video of the fire up today
[Linked Image]
Liked Replies
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #784916 Nov 10th a 02:29 AM
by kursed
kursed
Well I spent a few days last week or week before (getting old, can't remember :lol ) hitting junkyards looking for a proper dipstick. The 350 that came out of the van used the driver side dipstick, the 305 I put in used the passenger side, but of course it was a short tube version for a truck instead of the van. I hit every single junkyard between a 90 mile stretch, calling some, and finally found one at the last stop in Buena Vista VA. It's a two piece as well which seemed to make it a bit easier installing.

Wife came home from her deployment a little early, so we've been spending a lot of time just reconnecting as a family. Finally had some time to work on the van today. Installed the oil and trans dipsticks, the driver side exhaust pipe, carb bracket for throttle cable and kickdown, and a few other small bits and bobs. Having a hard time finding an upper radiator hose that will work. The hose that everyone has for an 82 with the 305 is too small on the radiator side. I might end up going with a flex hose if I can't find another to work, but I would like to stick with a stock style if I can.

I was really happy today to figure out my radiator cushion conundrum. So I would assume this is the same from 71-95 entire run of the G series vans, but I can't confirm that as I only have an 82 G10. My lower cups are welded in and the upper cups are loose, all of the rubber cushion inserts for mine were toast. Some dry rotten, some just horribly torn and deformed. I looked all over the internet and even checked all the local parts stores, but could not find an aftermarket source for these.

Looking at the old ones, I felt like they looked really similar to the 67-72 C & K series Chevy trucks. So when I was junkyard shopping I picked up a set out of a 1970 C10 and they work perfectly. So I ordered some from Classic Truck Parts, but they're on back order. They also sell some for heavy duty radiators which look larger, but the ones I grabbed are for the standard radiators.

The trucks use a different cup on the top, and have loose cups on the bottom, whereas the vans use welded in cups on the bottom and loose cups on tops. The bottom cups for the truck are the exact same as the upper and lower cups for the van, and the rubber cushions are all the same as well. Hope this helps someone else down the road that might run across the same issue.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
2 members like this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #796122 Sep 19th a 05:55 PM
by kursed
kursed
Got the plugs swapped. The old ones were for sure fuel fouled from setting up the carb and distributor. Swapped from Autolite 25s to 26s simply because I found a set in a box of Chevelle parts I already had in the garage, so that saved me a trip to the parts store and $25 for plugs. Crimeny, I remember paying $8 for 8 spark plugs, UGH!

Also cleaned the parts and trash out of the interior, took the wife and two kiddos around the neighborhood for their first ride. They were excited as heck. We still have a ton of bugs to work out before she's road ready, but one step closer for sure.

Just took an S.O.S. pad to the old crusty air cleaner. Got it all cleaned up and installed. Left the carb stud long for now, because I'd like to find a taller filter for it eventually. Next up is wire separating and re-routing, then bleeding the brakes.
2 members like this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #798084 Nov 5th a 05:57 PM
by kursed
kursed
As usual, haven't done much to the QAR in a while. I did however stop by Ollie's Bargain Outlet (local discount store) and grabbed a bright red (aka: whorehouse red as NEmery calls it lol) shag rug for super cheap. I eventually want to put some really nice Sansom Shag carpet in there, but for now this will do. I just placed it in there to see if it was going to be big enough for the front section (doing vinyl wood plank in the rear) and it looks cool to me.

Also found a 100% free WORKING Shop Vac sitting on a trash pile in the alley behind my mom's place while I was installing a shed lock for her. I can't believe someone would throw away a perfectly good shop vac like that. Missing the wands and accessories, no filter, but the darn thing was just dusty (thankfully nothing gross inside) and works amazingly well. What the heck?!

Also, I've been spending some time cleaning out old junk in storage on the porch I want to turn into an art studio. Came across these old Back to the Future promotional sunglasses from Pizza Hut back in the 80's. So now I have some new Vannin' shades! WOOHOO! lol Not sure if that is Saga's look of approval or dismay, but we'll call it approval for now. HA!

2 members like this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #781870 Sep 8th a 01:25 AM
by kursed
kursed
Just went back out and pulled the #5 plug thinking maybe it's getting enough voltage for the test light, but not enough for the plug, but when grounding the plug against the manifold, I'm getting good spark. Tried spraying a little carb cleaner down the carb in case it's just gummed up or something, still no luck.

*EDIT* a few hours later, couldn't leave well enough alone. Found a clogged vacuum line from the distributor to the carb, cleaned it out, and now we have a coughing engine with poofs of smoke out of the exhaust manifolds, so we're on the right track. WOOHOO!
1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #781962 Sep 9th a 08:10 PM
by kursed
kursed
Well I wasn't able to accomplish much today. Running back and forth to the vet for the cat having seizures took most of my day. I did get the torque converter bolted up, finally found those bolts right where I left them in the passenger floorboard. DOH! Adjusted the carb a little and went to fire it up, but nothing but buzzing from the starter.

It looked like the cheap junk we used to sell at the cheap junk parts stores, so I went to Federated Auto Parts and swapped it out for a Chevy# 6449 starter (6449MS Federated #). For those of you who haven't done this before, hopefully this info will help someone out there. Chevy used this starter on later model cars and trucks with the 4.3 and it is a smaller, lighter, gear reduction starter. Instead of the typical 20 lbs found on the normal SBC starters, this thing only weighs about 8 lbs.

I used one on an old Squarebody K10 I had and it worked perfectly, a little noisier than the original, but seemed to spin it faster. You will need to get new bolts when swapping as the new 6449 starter is a bit smaller. Parts store didn't have any in stock today, but they're getting them from the warehouse and should have them ready for me in the AM. So hopefully I can get back to work on her some tomorrow.

1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #782042 Sep 11th a 02:25 PM
by kursed
kursed
I'll eventually get myself one too, I've been curious about them for a while, so the Chevelle will probably get one when I start working on that.
1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #782185 Sep 15th a 02:45 AM
by kursed
kursed
Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Well glad it's running at least... With the starter would've worked out for you

Eh no worries. The starter would have probably worked if I felt like yanking the trans out and swapping the flywheel that came off the 350 onto the 305, but I didn't feel like going through all that mess again when I'm so close to having her able to move under her own power. No worries though, good excuse to grab a Power master and try one down the road since I've been so curious about them anyway.

I didn't get to work on it today. Had to run kiddos back and forth across the county to orthodontists and dentists all day. Hopefully back out in the shop tomorrow for some more fun.
1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #784932 Nov 10th a 06:00 PM
by Meanmachine
Meanmachine
Kursed, a Thank You to your wife and you for your service to are country and protecting our freedoms. Tomorrow we honor all Veterans past and present.
1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #793137 Jul 18th a 12:34 PM
by NEmery
NEmery
Glad to see you back in here posting! you know how to reach out if you ever need to vent!
1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #793139 Jul 18th a 02:39 PM
by kursed
kursed
Originally Posted by NEmery
Glad to see you back in here posting! you know how to reach out if you ever need to vent!

Thanks man. Every day is an exhausting emotional roller coaster. I'm just trying to push through one day at a time.
1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #793151 Jul 18th a 11:25 PM
by kursed
kursed
Thanks guys. Feels really good to be able to move it when needed as well.

Playing around with the photoshop junk today. eek grin lol
1 member likes this
Re: Queen Anne's Revenge #795967 Sep 16th a 06:20 PM
by kursed
kursed
"One small step for van, one giant step for vankind!" Isn't that how the saying goes?

Finally had a chance to top off the power steering and trans fluid last night and drive the rickety rickshaw around the block. She has a longer list of medical issues than I do, and that's a lot, but she's a little bit closer.

Needs:
- Spark plugs
- Engine bay wiring organized
- Brakes inspected and bled
- Driver seat base sandblasted and painted, then installed
- Gauges put back in and hooked up
- Light inspection and diagnosis. Driver headlight and passenger tail light very dim, no signals (probably because the gauges are out at the moment)
- A bath lol
- Trans cooler needs hooked up (lines are looped and bypassed at the moment)
- 71-77 grille swap with headlights and marker/signals relocated
- 71-77 front and rear bumpers installed
- Carb tuned and timing tweaked
- Doghouse re-installed

And probably about a million other things, but we'll start with that. I'm supposed to be helping my wife move back into the old house this weekend, so there's still that stress and kids are constantly being run back and forth across town for work, drama club, tennis, and cheerleading.

Also trying to help my oldest daughter get her ride sorted out and road ready. My mom gave her the 1990 4Runner she had, has been sitting for a long time only occasionally driven. Already sorted the steering slop (20lbs of air in the front tires lol), not shifting into overdrive (apparently it just needs to get to full operating temp before driving so overdrive will work), fixed a exhaust leak at the O2 sensor.

Service dog is doing AMAZING! She is actually a huge help already even at 5 months old. I'll just keep plugging away on the van in what little time I have and hopefully we'll be truly road ready soon.
1 member likes this
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130