by 1983 G20 Van - April 23rd 2024 8:59 pm
Sunroof removal / Fiberglass repair
by amx - April 23rd 2024 7:48 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1993 Dodge B250 - rear door latch to keep the door open...
#812017 April 02nd 2024 11:03 pm
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi,

I'm looking for a spare part that anyone might have.

On the right rear door there is a mechanism that slides in and out of the door frame between the door and the door jam. That mechanism has broken and is no longer preventing the door from opening excessively and hitting the right rear taillight with the spare tire. There is a lot of weight on that door due to the weight of the spare tire added to the door. I'm thinking that's what made the mechanism fail sooner than the others.

Have a look at the pics. You'll see a bracket that has been spot welded in 4 places. two on the top and two on the bottom. I need one of those systems with the slider bar that is pinned to the door jam.

Does anyone have a spare in their junk yard anywhere. I'll pay you for your time/labor/and shipping to get one to me ASAP. My van is about to go on outdoorsy as a rental and I can't have that door the way it is now.

If anyone has an alternative solution for this problem...I'm all ears.

Thanks for the help!
Matt

Attached Files IMG_6188.JPGIMG_6192.JPG
Re: 1993 Dodge B250 - rear door latch to keep the door open...
Moonlight sailor #812019 April 03rd 2024 11:22 am
S
Post Junkie
Post Junkie
S
You may want to reach out to Lee7673. Good luck

Re: 1993 Dodge B250 - rear door latch to keep the door open...
Moonlight sailor #812336 April 14th 2024 12:28 pm
stranger
stranger
I think the dealer service manual calls the part a "check strap".

Interesting, that bracket changed at some point in the early nineties, and yours looks like a transitional year. On my 1990 (and earlier years), both the side and rear doors have a very similar bracket that attaches by four or five philips screws. Later years had a better design that used ball bearing detents and opened all the way. I spent way too much time looking at these last summer when I modified my rear doors to accept the new brackets.

I'm assuming the right picture is your broken part. Is the problem just that it's just missing the rubber boot/washer/pad that stops it from hitting metal on metal? Those often split and fall off, extending the door opening. Maybe finding a replacement hefty rubber piece is all you need.

On the other hand, you could replace the whole check strap bracket. I don't know for use, but if you find any older bracket going back to 71 it should only attach with screws. Check your local pick-n-pulls, etc. And call around the local smaller junkyards and wreckers, as they often keep old van's around as makeshift sheds for other parts. The side doors should have the same part, and in fact the left side may be the same part installed upside down. But check the condition of that rubber boot so it's not equally deteriorated.

Drill out the spot welds from the inside with a spot weld cutter, and drill new holes to mount the retrofit bracket with screws. If you can, install it from the inside while the door is closed to ensure better alignment. Although maybe that's not possible if you have a built in bed.

Now that I look at it a bit more, the actual "throat" that the check strap passes through rivets to the bracket. So maybe you can just drill out those rivets and swap that small piece alone.

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Colte45, Robert_Fisher, drivestylish, MGCBBQ, rick74
12738 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)