Mlarky has a "new" project Ford E150 van
#794316 August 14th 2022 9:06 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Hi Gang, Got me a "new" Project Ford E150 van. I got a sweet deal! Laid down $3000 for a 1990 Ford E150 long wheel base. Slider side door. Dark blue with white roof. Only 145,800 on the Odometer! Verified. Originally from OHIO and no rust issues except a thumb size spot on the drip rail over drivers door. 5.0 fuel injected, AOD, power steering and brakes, with a nice cold AC system. Thermometer in center vent says 55 degrees and that's in 93 degree heat with 80% humidity. Not bad. It does have some wheel wobble at high speed and under hard braking, but sure it's worn tie rod ends. Have a customer's shop I can take it to for the work and a proper front end alignment. The seller gave me a set of tie rod ends and some heavy duty shocks he hadn't had time to install. Bonus!! And a spare alternator. The worn out original factory low back seats have the vinyl coming apart so a trip to the local Pick N Pull is coming very soon, get a pair of captains chairs. Could use a full tune up, and plan to do the transmission filter and a few quarts of fresh fluid since the seller didn't know if it has ever been done. The tranny shifts OK, but the kick down needs adjusting. Had to shift down out of over drive on the bigger hills since it didn't kick down to 3rd or 2nd as it should. Rear bumper swap in the works since it has more of a truck bumper. Seller used van for hauling motorcycles to his shop. Decided on another vehicle for his needs. A few dings in body, typical for it's age. Paint faded on hood, Fair on the rest of the body. I am planning a new paint job in the near future by me. Then an interior redo with over head console. Panels are already in so I just need to recover them, has benches over wheel wells with and I will add carpet since it has a rubber mat floor. (Set up for his needs). Has a dual battery system with deep cycle battery in back, with an inverter. Shopping for new wheels and some fat tires. Post pics soon.

1 member likes this: frscke1
AdSense long
Re: Mlarky has a "new" project Ford E150 van
mlarky #794317 August 14th 2022 9:48 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Congrats on your new to you van. Looking forward to pics.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arianrhod:2003 Chevy Astro
Black Magic: 1985 Dodge B-250
Serenity:1985 Chevy G-20
The Outcast:1983 Ford club wagon
Luna 1974 VW bay window transporter
Freedom:1990 Ford E-150(parts van)
Outcast Vanners van club
Support your local 2%
mlarky #794320 August 15th 2022 1:00 am
Master Yard Rat
Master Yard Rat
Oh yeah! Fat tires and flares? I can’t wait to see pics.

You hear the thunder of stampeding rhinos, elephants and tacky tigers
This town ain't big enough for the both of us
And it ain't me who's gonna leave
mlarky #794347 August 15th 2022 10:39 pm
S
Post Junkie
Post Junkie
S
Congrats ! can't wait to see the pics.

mlarky #794360 August 16th 2022 1:01 pm
veteran
veteran
Pics or it didn't happen. lol

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
1 member likes this: Charlie 99909
mlarky #794369 August 17th 2022 12:53 am
S
Post Junkie
Post Junkie
S
Trust The Duke !

mlarky #794413 August 17th 2022 9:05 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Well, Monday morning on the way to work, the van suddenly feels sluggish like it was on the way home from Austin, only getting worse and the Check engine light goes on, then off, then back on as the engine slowly dies, stalls and leaves me on the side of the road. Thinking weakening fuel pump? Running through the possibilities in my head while I wait for the tow truck. I get to work ( at Auto Zone), and luckily the pump is on the shelf. $125 with my discount, also get a fuel filter, pressure regulator, the relay, all the things I think I might need just in case. Learned years ago.. get EVERYTHING I even THINK I might need, rather than be "Oh Sh*t", halfway through the job, no ride to get what I should have gotten when I was there in the first place. How many of you have done that?? Show of hands! 1, 2, 3, thought so....

I get home from work, the van starts right up like nothing was wrong. Fast idles for a bit, then RPMs suddenly drop like the choke warmed up and let the motor go to regular idle. It almost stalls, again, but I give it gas in time to get it to "normal" idle range. OK, so fuel pump is not my issue. There's the damned intermittent Check Engine light again! Shut it off. Go to my tool box, search the bottom drawer for my OBD1 reader for Fords. Found it. Plug it in, 6 codes come up. Erratic Idle, misfires, ERG codes, lean condition, and..AH HAH! TPS sensor!! Then I have my DUH moment. All the symptoms should have been obvious to me. Been down this road before. To double check, I take the negative cable off the battery for 15 minutes while I get on the computer, double check TPS symptoms online. Yep think I got this properly diagnosed. I search for part numbers on the Auto Zone site. TPS228. On the shelf at work. Cool! $38. NICE! Return the pump, get the TPS, throttle gasket, cleaner, fuel system cleaner. Have the day off, so off to the garage to fix the van and hopefully it runs the way it was meant to. Then I can give myself a pat on the back. Then figure out how to load these pics for y'all to see.

mlarky #794459 August 17th 2022 9:31 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
TPS job was a bit of a chore, but successful! The sensor on the bottom of a vertically stacked throttle body seems weird. One of Ford's better ideas?? Runs better but doesn't have quite the get up and go I think it should have. I also cleaned the throttle body, and discovered it already had a new (er) IAC and EGR valves. Still thinking about new cap rotor plugs and wires. Trans filter and fluid change. Seller never did any of that and didn't know if it was done before he got it. Just oil changes. He did redo the ac with new pieces and a newer style compressor. Works great.

While draining the radiator before disconnecting the cooling lines from the TB, I saw what appears to be factory trans cooler, and the alternator looks like the heavy duty option. Wish I had the build sheet or the original window sticker to see how this one was built in the factory. The side rail fuel pump is still whining a bit loud, wondering if I should swap it for good measure, or at least have a new one ready in case? Opinions?? Oh and suggestions for wide rims and fat tire sizes for the old school look. But I have a sliding side door, so clearance will be an issue. Yes I know about extenders, but where would I find one? my first van with sliding doors, so no experience.

mlarky #794513 August 18th 2022 12:56 pm
Master Yard Rat
Master Yard Rat
Originally Posted by mlarky
TPS job was a bit of a chore, but successful! The sensor on the bottom of a vertically stacked throttle body seems weird. One of Ford's better ideas?? Runs better but doesn't have quite the get up and go I think it should have. I also cleaned the throttle body, and discovered it already had a new (er) IAC and EGR valves. Still thinking about new cap rotor plugs and wires. Trans filter and fluid change. Seller never did any of that and didn't know if it was done before he got it. Just oil changes. He did redo the ac with new pieces and a newer style compressor. Works great.

While draining the radiator before disconnecting the cooling lines from the TB, I saw what appears to be factory trans cooler, and the alternator looks like the heavy duty option. Wish I had the build sheet or the original window sticker to see how this one was built in the factory. The side rail fuel pump is still whining a bit loud, wondering if I should swap it for good measure, or at least have a new one ready in case? Opinions?? Oh and suggestions for wide rims and fat tire sizes for the old school look. But I have a sliding side door, so clearance will be an issue. Yes I know about extenders, but where would I find one? my first van with sliding doors, so no experience.

I come across them from time, the extended sliders are more common on conversions and high top campers. NOS ones can pull a pretty penny. One thing you could do is find a standard sized one and have a metal shop cut and extend it for you. Man, I have all the fiberglass and boogie goodies that van could ever need and they're all NOS. I wanted to get a third gen myself and I hoarded all the best parts I could find.

You hear the thunder of stampeding rhinos, elephants and tacky tigers
This town ain't big enough for the both of us
And it ain't me who's gonna leave
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod