Rate Thread
Power Solutions for PS4 (or PS5), HDTV, and Laptop
#784015 October 21st 2021 12:14 am
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hello! I am a gamer, and I want to hook up a Playstation 4, or possibly a Playstation 5, an HDTV (Vizio is my preferred brand, but I am open to suggestions), and my laptop (a Thinkpad T430 with charging dock). My problem is that I'm not sure of I would have to be connected to shore power to supply my devices, or if there are batteries and inverters that can accommodate my needs when I am not near an outlet. Solar is always an option for me, and I'd like to hear any solar setups that I could use.

I am fully aware that a Nintendo Switch may be a better idea, but all my games right now are for the PS4.

AdSense long
Re: Power Solutions for PS4 (or PS5), HDTV, and Laptop
mhmrules #784018 October 21st 2021 2:51 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Well you will need a sinewave inverter to keep from harming your electronics, you need the correct size, and no less than 2 batterys, deep cycle to handle it.

1 member likes this: mhmrules
maples01 #784038 October 21st 2021 11:36 am
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Anything specific?

mhmrules #784047 October 21st 2021 1:28 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Get a kill a watt meter and measure how much juice your items use jn actual use.

Power bricks, ac dc transformers rarely have issues with msw inverters, but psw is better, but for.price.

How long you game for has huge effects on total kwh consumed and thus battery bank size required.

Also how long you will be away from an outlet, so you can plug in to recharge that battery capacity.

Basically, as much solar on yiur roof as you can fit will not be enough if you game 12 hours a day even jn a sunnh environment in June.

Lead acid batteries lose capacity quickly when cycled over and over without ever reachjng true full charge. This capacity loss is mostly un recoverable.so best to be able to achieve a true full charge every few days and never overdischarge.

My 90 watt laptop powerbrick draws an average of 32 watts when its battery is full and cpu doing little. This doubles watching a dvd or streaming video.

Gamestations are much more.power hungry as far as i know.

This subject is huge, and few u nderstand how much juice they use require amd just how little energy a battery stores i comparison to that.

An inverter is only about 85% efficient as well.

1 member likes this: Ram4ever
wrcsixeight #784102 October 22nd 2021 12:19 pm
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
Get a kill a watt meter and measure how much juice your items use jn actual use.

Power bricks, ac dc transformers rarely have issues with msw inverters, but psw is better, but for.price.

How long you game for has huge effects on total kwh consumed and thus battery bank size required.

Also how long you will be away from an outlet, so you can plug in to recharge that battery capacity.

Basically, as much solar on yiur roof as you can fit will not be enough if you game 12 hours a day even jn a sunnh environment in June.

Lead acid batteries lose capacity quickly when cycled over and over without ever reachjng true full charge. This capacity loss is mostly un recoverable.so best to be able to achieve a true full charge every few days and never overdischarge.

My 90 watt laptop powerbrick draws an average of 32 watts when its battery is full and cpu doing little. This doubles watching a dvd or streaming video.

Gamestations are much more.power hungry as far as i know.

This subject is huge, and few u nderstand how much juice they use require amd just how little energy a battery stores i comparison to that.

An inverter is only about 85% efficient as well.

The PS4 would be in use for about five to six hours, because I would typically get off work at 5pm, and I don't play any video games in the morning. I am also planning on using a slimmed down PS4 that would only use 77 watts (compared to the 150 watts the first model consumed). I'm willing to cut down on gaming depending on the environment. If the sun was out, and I was parked somewhere nice, I'd spend more time outside.

I want to stay away from lead acid if I can because, knowing me, I would forget to add water even though I told myself I would. Are there any other battery solutions I could explore?

mhmrules #784143 October 23rd 2021 12:23 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
77 watts at 12.4v is a 6.2 amp load

a 100 amp hour battery, like a group 27 or a group 31, when healthy and fully charged, can provided 5 amps for 20 hours before being completely discharged. loads over 5 amps, reduce the total amp hour capacity available of that 100Ah battery due to the peukert effect.
Lead acid batteries should not regularly be drawn well below 50% state of charge, and when they are it is very important to promptly and truly fully charge them.

the 77 watts does not include the inverter inefficiency, nor the load of the TV, and whatever else is running off the batteries at the same time.

Absorbed glass matt (AGM) are a lead acid battery, that do not require watering. Lifeline, Northstar, Odyssey are 3 top dog AGMS.

Actual gelled electrolyte batteries exist, but many people call AGM's Gel cells erronoiusly.
Actual Gel batteries can make excellent deep cycle batteries, better than wet/flooded or AGM, but they have specific limitations during charging. cross those limitations and voids form in the gel and a percentage of capacity and performance is gone forever.

Lithium batteries are becoming more affordable. I have no experience with them, so any words i type regarding them are not much more than worthless so I won't bother.

YOur power needs are not insignificant.
YOu are likely to become a battery murderer, drawing them too low, too often and not returning them to full charge anywhere near as often as they would like.

An abused Lead acid battery is like a gas tank which keeps getting smaller as it ages/ suffers abuse.
Abuse can be considered being less than truly fully charged.
a battery drained to 50%, with a high amp charging source seking voltage in the mid 14's, can relatively quickly charge a battery to 80% charged, but getting from 80% to 100% is no less than 3 hours
those 3 hours assume healthy batteries, and a charging source which can maintain 14.4ish volts for that entire time.

Idling to recharge is unwise, as the vehicles voltage regulator often decides 13.6 is fine and dandy, and a healthy group 27 will charge 3 times slower at 13.6 vs 14.7v.

If the cabling to additional depleted house batteries is fat, and the voltage regulator is seeking 14.1+ volts, the alternatort will be maxxed out for a long time, and get extremely hot.
Driving under 25mph is not much better than parked idling, in terms of hot alternator, but 65mph keeps them cool even maxxed out.

The Kill a watt meter will let you know how many KWH your devices actually consume.
1000 Watthours consumed at 12.0 vdc, is 83.3 amp hours, before the 15%+ loss from the inverter.
A group 24 battery is about 85 amp hours, and 100$
A group 24 might say deep cycle on it, but it is a marine battery.
Marine batteries are much closer in design to a starter battery, than to a true deep cycle battery.

A perfectly treated starting battery might accumulate 80 to 100 deep cylces to 50% before failure.
A perfectly treated marine battery might accumulate 300 to 350 deep cycles to 50%
A perfectly treated true deep cycle battery might accumulate 900 to 1200 deep cycles to 50% charged.

Expect real world cycles achieved to be a tiny fraction of the "lab' cycles that the manufacturer lists

https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/

most internet forums have lots of extremely inaccurate information regarding the cycling of lead acid batteries.

2 members like this: Ram4ever, frscke1
wrcsixeight #784329 October 27th 2021 1:55 pm
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
77 watts at 12.4v is a 6.2 amp load

a 100 amp hour battery, like a group 27 or a group 31, when healthy and fully charged, can provided 5 amps for 20 hours before being completely discharged. loads over 5 amps, reduce the total amp hour capacity available of that 100Ah battery due to the peukert effect.
Lead acid batteries should not regularly be drawn well below 50% state of charge, and when they are it is very important to promptly and truly fully charge them.

the 77 watts does not include the inverter inefficiency, nor the load of the TV, and whatever else is running off the batteries at the same time.

Absorbed glass matt (AGM) are a lead acid battery, that do not require watering. Lifeline, Northstar, Odyssey are 3 top dog AGMS.

Actual gelled electrolyte batteries exist, but many people call AGM's Gel cells erronoiusly.
Actual Gel batteries can make excellent deep cycle batteries, better than wet/flooded or AGM, but they have specific limitations during charging. cross those limitations and voids form in the gel and a percentage of capacity and performance is gone forever.

Thanks for setting me straight on AGMs.

YOur power needs are not insignificant.
YOu are likely to become a battery murderer, drawing them too low, too often and not returning them to full charge anywhere near as often as they would like.

Knowing my luck, I would be a battery murderer.

An abused Lead acid battery is like a gas tank which keeps getting smaller as it ages/ suffers abuse.
Abuse can be considered being less than truly fully charged.
a battery drained to 50%, with a high amp charging source seking voltage in the mid 14's, can relatively quickly charge a battery to 80% charged, but getting from 80% to 100% is no less than 3 hours
those 3 hours assume healthy batteries, and a charging source which can maintain 14.4ish volts for that entire time.

Idling to recharge is unwise, as the vehicles voltage regulator often decides 13.6 is fine and dandy, and a healthy group 27 will charge 3 times slower at 13.6 vs 14.7v.

If the cabling to additional depleted house batteries is fat, and the voltage regulator is seeking 14.1+ volts, the alternatort will be maxxed out for a long time, and get extremely hot.
Driving under 25mph is not much better than parked idling, in terms of hot alternator, but 65mph keeps them cool even maxxed out.

Thankfully, I don't plan on idling to keep power. Would shore power be my best solution for a reasonable recharge time? Or would it still take three hours to get from 80-100%?

The Kill a watt meter will let you know how many KWH your devices actually consume.
1000 Watthours consumed at 12.0 vdc, is 83.3 amp hours, before the 15%+ loss from the inverter.
A group 24 battery is about 85 amp hours, and 100$
A group 24 might say deep cycle on it, but it is a marine battery.
Marine batteries are much closer in design to a starter battery, than to a true deep cycle battery.

A perfectly treated starting battery might accumulate 80 to 100 deep cylces to 50% before failure.
A perfectly treated marine battery might accumulate 300 to 350 deep cycles to 50%
A perfectly treated true deep cycle battery might accumulate 900 to 1200 deep cycles to 50% charged.

Expect real world cycles achieved to be a tiny fraction of the "lab' cycles that the manufacturer lists

https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/

most internet forums have lots of extremely inaccurate information regarding the cycling of lead acid batteries.
That last sentence is definitely correct, and thanks for the link, I'll be sure to read it.

mhmrules #784759 November 05th 2021 2:18 pm
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I was thinking about purchasing one of these (Bluetti 2048Wh Lithium Iron Phosphate AC200Max) battery bank, along with two of their battery modules [(B230 2048Wh Lithium Iron Phosphate)(In total, this would be 6,144Wh)]. As expensive as it is, would something like this be worth it, considering my needs? Are there any alternatives, or should I just use shore power?

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0536/3390/8911/products/AB_1000x1000.jpg?v=1629363472[/img]
[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0536/3390/8911/products/B230_-1_1000x1000.jpg?v=1631623273[/img]

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129
frscke1 28
CatFish 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746