Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hub centric rings
KogonDodge #783279 October 04th 2021 11:30 am
OP Offline
I've been on a trip this weekend. It's hard to make any definitive conclusions but my sense is that there isn't really much change in feel or road noise. One observation is that I found myself correcting the steering and having to concentrate to hold the vehicle steady in the lane. This isn't really anything I can blame on the new AT tires because my suspension is still outstanding many replacements of moving parts (i got it inspected and was given a list of things that needed to be replaced, pretty much every moving part in the front suspension and steering +shocks).

I did go off road to reach my camp site and was worried I would get some rubbing on lock and/or going over bumps. I think if the tires were rubbing the body I would feel it in the steering wheel, and I didn't, so it seem we are good on that front. Having said that, the tires seem dangerously close to the ends of the running boards on lock and the front wheels are not tucked inside the wheel arch, they stick out (because of the aftermarket wheels). I was expecting to be dissapointed once we started bouncing around but I didn't have any problems.

1988 B250 Conversion Van
https://i.imgur.com/uQPPuqo.jpg
Re: Hub centric rings
KogonDodge #783367 October 05th 2021 4:39 pm
N
old hand
old hand
N
Kogon, sounds like you worked out your centering issue. That's great. As 68 and Ram stated I wound up not going with the rings. Although it is said that the lug nuts are reportedly intended to center the wheels when installed in the proper sequence, this was not working in our case.

The wheels were definitely still off center (visually it was very obvious once we knew to remove our center caps). In our case the center caps push through the back thus making the gap "invisible" once the wheel is on and until we had one break and could not replace it we didn't even "see" the uneven gap.

We had contemplated the centric rings but were told that in our case they were so thin that there was no real guarantee they'd hold up very well.

So, given we were on a time crunch anyway and couldn't wait for the ring to arrive we went with using feeler gauges and a lot of manual adjustment and bracing to get them centered. The ride was immediately better and has appeared to remain so.

However, we are still unsure how we will repeatedly accomplish this without so much trouble (such as when we get a flat or in the even that we cannot do our own work and some yahoo has to remove and reinstall the wheel for some reason). So, this month while we are in our work spot I shall see to creating some sort of 'device' that we can simply insert between hub and wheel until the lugs are tightened.

Happy to hear of the success with your situation.

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 14 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drivestylish, MGCBBQ, rick74, Keithl, G10brett
12736 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 183
Wedgy 43
frscke1 29
CatFish 28
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,844