Page 1 of 2 1 2
Food Ideas?
#776509 May 20th 2021 1:42 pm
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Good afternoon Vanners! I'm pretty new to the whole vanning community so I have a few questions for everyone! Me and the wife are planning a cross country trip here soon and don't want to break the bank (and our belts) with take out food. What are some super easy to go meals that can last a few days? What are your go to foods when you're going on a long cruise? Let me know!

-Logan

Re: Food Ideas?
loganpines #776516 May 20th 2021 2:40 pm
veteran
veteran
I'm probably the worst person to ask, as years in the Army gave me the absolute worst eating habits. My go-to are usually trail mix, beef jerky, and garbage gut canned food like Spaghetti-Os and Vienna Sausages. lol

I always save enough aside for eating at a restaurant or two, and sometimes I'll pack a cooler with stuff for sandwiches. When I'm on keto, I do the sandwiches with lettuce wraps instead of bread. That diet alone requires a lot of thinking outside the box.

I like Dutch oven stews and such when camping. Bacon, eggs, and steaks over a camp fire. Anything that the mood hits me for really, I don't put a bunch of thought into it so long as it's not an MRE, thank God those days are over. lol

One thing I will suggest is a big jug or even two of water. Not only will it come in handy if you end up with long distances between stops, but can also be used in a pinch if you pop a coolant hose or something of that nature.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

1 member likes this: loganpines
kursed #776517 May 20th 2021 2:46 pm
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I completely understand what you mean about the military giving you bad eating habits. 7 years in the Air Force, and i'm a pro gas station eater. A cooler for some sandwhiches and having some good canned foods is always a good idea. Thanks! I'll definitely keep a few jugs of water on me! I work at an auto repair shop, so i'm more than a little paranoid about things breaking down.

loganpines #776521 May 20th 2021 2:52 pm
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by loganpines
I completely understand what you mean about the military giving you bad eating habits. 7 years in the Air Force, and i'm a pro gas station eater. A cooler for some sandwhiches and having some good canned foods is always a good idea. Thanks! I'll definitely keep a few jugs of water on me! I work at an auto repair shop, so i'm more than a little paranoid about things breaking down.

I just have bad luck with things breaking down all the time, so always best to have and not need than need and not have.

Watch a lot of moto-camping food videos on YouTube. Those guys have to pack light for their off road adventures and get really creative with food ideas sometimes.

Also the ultra-light hikers come up with some pretty neat stuff.

I have a small propane ultra-light hiking stove and some other ultra-light gear for moto-camping. I like to play around with that from time to time. Boil in the bag stuff helps with those meals (rice and noodles, etc.). I've seen moto-campers do all sorts of silly stuff on the road too, like stopping at a grocery store halfway through the trip to grab a few items, then cooking a couple Hot Pockets on their engine during the last leg of their trip so dinner would be ready when they got to the camp site. lol

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

loganpines #776523 May 20th 2021 3:29 pm
Rust N Dents
Rust N Dents
For years, my wife and I felt like expert road trippers.
We keep things simple and plan to eat out a little along the way.
We take a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter for sandwiches, boxed snack cakes/fried pies and such for snacks, a couple of bags of chips, and a cooler full of sodas, gatorades, and waters.
None of that stuff needs to be refrigerated, so there's no worries of spoilage or lunch meat getting soggy.
We even have a method on how to place everything so the front seat passenger can reach it all.
lol
We munch on that stuff whenever wherever, then we stop someplace decent for dinner.
It helps keep our average speed up too, since we can eat while we drive and try to take restroom breaks only at our gas stops.

On really long trips, like our Anchorage to Dallas trip, I'd keep a box of Capri Sun drinks between the driver's seat and the driver's door of our Jeep.
That way, when it was 2:00 in the morning, and I was the only one awake, I could grab a quick drink without disturbing my wife while she slept.
lol

[Linked Image]
loganpines #776529 May 20th 2021 4:37 pm
M
veteran
Online Content
veteran
M
To all you Veterans on the forum, Thank You for your service to our country.

1 member likes this: Rusty_Pancelode
kursed #776530 May 20th 2021 4:43 pm
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I didn't even think about hikers and what they eat. That's such a good idea. I'm going to have to put my feelers out to all the outdoorsy people I know. We're looking at getting a little camping grill and packing like a tote for everything that we need for a small kitchen. I guess my biggest issue is keeping things cold. I'm trying to stay more in the "camping van" region and away from the "vanlife completely" region. I want to be able to stay good for like 4 days or so, and then go from there. Dehydrating some food would also be a good idea. I'll have to look into getting a dehydrator.

loganpines #776531 May 20th 2021 5:12 pm
journeyman
journeyman
My tip- as you travel zero in on costcos to get gas, it's the cheapest and good quality.

Then while you are there get one of those cooked chickens. It's like 6/7 bucks and that can feed 2 people for two/three meals real easy. Grocery stores have them too if you aren't a member of Costco, they might be a buck or so more but still a steal.

With some bread (costco sell baguettes that go with that chicken good) that's a bunch of chicken sandwiches for not a lot of money

If you ARE a Costco member then $1.60 for a hot dog and soda won't break the bank either.

And this is California prices i am quoting. I am assuming the rest of country everything is about half the price it is here??!!

I've recently bought a compressor fridge for my van, again from costco, it was about $350. If the engine is running, then it works just fine. Stationary I have a 100W solar panel that keeps it going.

Last edited by KogonDodge; May 20th 2021 5:13 pm.

1988 B250 Conversion Van
https://i.imgur.com/uQPPuqo.jpg
loganpines #776534 May 20th 2021 6:35 pm
M
veteran
Online Content
veteran
M
Yeti coolers, they are expensive, but work well. I use to have a camp with the bare necessities, my Yeti cooler would keep ice for 4 to 5 days. I would freeze blocks of ice in bread pans and top the cooler off with cube ice. Also would keep a blanket on top of the cooler. We would take hoagies, pizza, and had a small propane grill we would cook steaks, hot dogs, burgers on. Also these new LED lanterns make a lot of light and the ones with 4 D batteries will last for hours.

loganpines #776535 May 20th 2021 7:08 pm
L
journeyman
Online Content
journeyman
L
Goober Grape

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro