by Juntao_DW - June 16th 2021 3:04 pm
Featured Links
Vanning.Com is a an authorized Amsoil Dealer

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
It's not just vans that are priced crazy...
#776132 May 15th 2021 12:05 pm
Rust N Dents
OP Offline
Rust N Dents
Ok, aside from all of the obvious stuff that's been gouging our pocketbooks lately (wood, gas, vans, etc...), I need to vent about my recent experience trying to buy a used boat.

Back in 2007, we ordered a new Starcraft 2000 I/O Limited from a local dealer for just over $30,000.
It had a 260hp V8, a freshwater sink and shower, and a matching depth finder that we added to the dash, as upgrades.
It was a wonderful boat, but it had several minor issues that first year, mostly due to poor dealer prep.
Because of that, we named it Kobayashi Maru (some of you might get the Star Trek reference).
Also, it was a little larger than what we needed and it ended up only getting used maybe 6 times over the next 13 years.
(Yeah, I know, it wasn't a very good investment.)
So, early last year, we dug it out of storage, cleaned it up, put new wheels and tires on the trailer, put a new stereo in it, and sold it to the first guy that we showed it to for $13,000.
It had less than 15 hours on it and still smelled like new fiberglass.

The idea was to sell the boat, then take my half of the money and buy a smaller boat from the same era.
When I set out to sell our boat, that's about what $6,500 would get, too.

Well...
It's been a year, and the prices have spiked so much, that $6,500 only gets you a raggedy bass boat from the late '80s to early '90s.

I saw a '93 Stratos 264FS Fish n Ski the other day for $5,000...
I mulled it over for about a day and a half because it was listed at $1,300 over high book value.

So that person sold it to a flipper, and now it's listed for $9,500.

Ok, I'm sorry...
I'm not angry that I sold my boat too cheap.
I'm actually very happy with how it all went down.
I'm just disappointed that the market changed so fast and left us with no easy way back in.
Even new boats have jumped like crazy.
The little tiny Tracker that Cabela's sells... You know, the one that's just aroud $10,000?
No, it was $10,999 last December.
Now it's $14,999.

Do any of you have any crazy stories like this?

[Linked Image]
Re: It's not just vans that are priced crazy...
Rusty_Pancelode #776257 May 17th 2021 5:45 am
Its nuts out there, literally everyone thinks their silver is gold.

Folks are more concerned about milking every last red cent out of everything they own than putting any consideration towards making good deals with good people or building relationships. Its a greedy, entitled, capitalist mindset and its encouraging this mass inflation. Not to mention, plenty of flippers capitalizing on the accessibility of online marketplaces while paying their mortgages wheel'n and deal'n, screwing up what little honesty is left in the market. I sound sour, 'cause, well, I am.. The market typically dictates the value, sure, but the market is so out of control with people over valuing everything that its causing this rapid inflation across the board. Its literally everything, hardly a good deal to be had no matter what a guy is looking for.

Ive only posted on here like 10 times in 2 years and half those posts have been bitching about inflation. Hah! Maybe im just falling behind the times or maybe everyone is a capitalist cuck? Hard to know for sure...

Rusty_Pancelode #776272 May 17th 2021 12:26 pm
S
Sir Sara Lee Big Cheesecake Long Hair Master
S
Yah Rusty we all have our challenges; you can't add another boat to your Fleet and I'm upset that " 2 Jack in the Box tacos that use to be .99 cents are now $1.50. " lol

P. S. Hey Rusty do you motivate your Ranch- Hands by singing " 15 Miles on the Erie Canal " to keep the work flow going or beat a BIG Cowhide Drum like the Romans did to keep a steady work flow ? rofl

Rusty_Pancelode #776280 May 17th 2021 2:35 pm
old hand
old hand
Not gonna lie, I was looking at getting a new Bronco but Ford is having major supply issues with their components. So bad in fact, they're ceasing production on the Bronco for a week and they have 22,000 F150's they can't sell because they're all missing components. So I started looking at a 90's Bronco. Most start at $7500-10k and they're all rough with high miles. The only semi decent one I saw was a 1991 with 86k miles and it was $5500. That was the high end of the market two years ago!

Back in 2011 I was offered a low miles and very clean 1995 Bronco. It was a former Cal Fire vehicle that was used in the mountains. The current owner had dumped about $7500 into it and was selling it for $3500. All receipts were present and it was clean. The only downside was it had a 351 in it and gas was about $4.40 a gallon in Sacramento at the time. I kick myself on that one.

Last edited by Charlie99909; May 17th 2021 2:45 pm.

You hear the thunder of stampeding rhinos, elephants and tacky tigers
This town ain't big enough for the both of us
And it ain't me who's gonna leave
Charlie99909 #776296 May 17th 2021 6:29 pm
Rust N Dents
OP Offline
Rust N Dents
Originally Posted by Bsidebopper
Its nuts out there, literally everyone thinks their silver is gold.

Folks are more concerned about milking every last red cent out of everything they own than putting any consideration towards making good deals with good people or building relationships. Its a greedy, entitled, capitalist mindset and its encouraging this mass inflation. Not to mention, plenty of flippers capitalizing on the accessibility of online marketplaces while paying their mortgages wheel'n and deal'n, screwing up what little honesty is left in the market. I sound sour, 'cause, well, I am.. The market typically dictates the value, sure, but the market is so out of control with people over valuing everything that its causing this rapid inflation across the board. Its literally everything, hardly a good deal to be had no matter what a guy is looking for.

Ive only posted on here like 10 times in 2 years and half those posts have been bitching about inflation. Hah! Maybe im just falling behind the times or maybe everyone is a capitalist cuck? Hard to know for sure...

Unfortunately, all of that is true right now.
Well, I don't know about the you falling behind part.
lol

Originally Posted by SDMickey
Yah Rusty we all have our challenges; you can't add another boat to your Fleet and I'm upset that " 2 Jack in the Box tacos that use to be .99 cents are now $1.50. " lol

P. S. Hey Rusty do you motivate your Ranch- Hands by singing " 15 Miles on the Erie Canal " to keep the work flow going or beat a BIG Cowhide Drum like the Romans did to keep a steady work flow ? rofl

Yeah, I guess I do sound kind of spoiled, huh?
Well, tough luck!
I grew up poor and changed my stars, so I'm not apologizing!
lol

I do all of my own work, so I don't even have a drum... but that's a good idea.
lol
I try to get my son to help, but I'm not sure he's going to be a "car guy".
I think he's interested in the boat idea, but we have a little jon boat, and he doesn't seem to care about it much.
When I asked him what kind of boat he wanted, he said, "I want one just like the one we just sold."
lol

Originally Posted by Charlie99909
Not gonna lie, I was looking at getting a new Bronco but Ford is having major supply issues with their components. So bad in fact, they're ceasing production on the Bronco for a week and they have 22,000 F150's they can't sell because they're all missing components. So I started looking at a 90's Bronco. Most start at $7500-10k and they're all rough with high miles. The only semi decent one I saw was a 1991 with 86k miles and it was $5500. That was the high end of the market two years ago!

Back in 2011 I was offered a low miles and very clean 1995 Bronco. It was a former Cal Fire vehicle that was used in the mountains. The current owner had dumped about $7500 into it and was selling it for $3500. All receipts were present and it was clean. The only downside was it had a 351 in it and gas was about $4.40 a gallon in Sacramento at the time. I kick myself on that one.

Sorry you passed on that '95.
That body is my favorite.
I think we all do that sometimes, though.
We just try to make the best decisions we can at the time we have to make them.

I hope that new Bronco turns out to be as awesome as it has the potential to be.
I would have been in line for one, too, but I needed more towing capacity to haul junk home.

I wish you the best on your hunt, wherever it takes you.
It's really a seller's market right now.

[Linked Image]
Rusty_Pancelode #776306 May 17th 2021 8:09 pm
S
S
Hey Rusty : on little tiny Tim's birthday; can we drive over and have those little fancy finger sandwiches with Gray Poupon Mustard ? rofl

Rusty_Pancelode #776321 May 18th 2021 6:29 am
Here is a good one for you... rolleyes

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Bsidebopper; May 18th 2021 6:30 am.
Rusty_Pancelode #776336 May 18th 2021 8:36 am
veteran
veteran
A guy posted a pair of crusty a#$ cracked and foggy clear front signal lenses for 71-77 G van this morning on the Farcebook "Vanner Inc... Classifieds" group for $100. I commented with a link to where you can buy them new aftermarket for the 1969-70 C and K series truck which is exact same lens for $5 and up. I went back just now to grab a screenshot for this thread, but he had already deleted his ad. lol

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

1 member likes this: Charlie99909
kursed #776354 May 18th 2021 12:03 pm
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kursed
A guy posted a pair of crusty a#$ cracked and foggy clear front signal lenses for 71-77 G van this morning on the Farcebook "Vanner Inc... Classifieds" group for $100. I commented with a link to where you can buy them new aftermarket for the 1969-70 C and K series truck which is exact same lens for $5 and up. I went back just now to grab a screenshot for this thread, but he had already deleted his ad. lol

There's a guy who sells through there that I don't like. He basically pulls crusty parts, then marks them up an insane amount. He was trying to sell a rough set of G van window wings for about $600 a pair. He actually said: "My time is valuable and I'll sit on these as long as I have to."

So long as he knows.

You hear the thunder of stampeding rhinos, elephants and tacky tigers
This town ain't big enough for the both of us
And it ain't me who's gonna leave
kursed #776357 May 18th 2021 2:16 pm
Rust N Dents
OP Offline
Rust N Dents
Originally Posted by Bsidebopper
Here is a good one for you... rolleyes

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Well, at least one of them has a trim ring on it.
lol

That's crazy!
$200 max!

To be honest, I don't mind a crazy flipper, someone who has no idea what their stuff is worth, or someone who tries to sell a cheeto that looks like Jesus for $100...
It's when the entire market goes crazy and follows them that gets me down.

Originally Posted by kursed

I hear that.
There's a dude right now that just pulled his faded 2005 Starcraft Aurora 200 I/O out of a flower bed, took a bunch of pictures of it with mouse poop and pee stains all over it, and posted it for $25,000.
(An Aurora 2000 I/O is the same hull and cap configuration as our 2000 Limited was, only with a slightly different seat configuration.)
He's down to $15,000 right now, but in my opinion, he's still $5,000 too high.
His is a V6, too, so he's really dreaming.
I wanted to warn him of his folly, but if he doesn't have enough sense to clean his boat up before he tries to sell it, I figure there's nothing I can say to him that's going to matter.
lol

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Charon), 1 guest and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Van_Islander, ReRide, BlackPhoebe, johnculliford, desii
11959 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 216
frscke1 66
NateB 60
kursed 57
Lee7673 44
Forum Statistics
Forums68