Vanning.Com is a an authorized Amsoil Dealer

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Dodge Quad Headlight Assembly 84-86
#776203 May 16th 2021 3:55 am
OP Offline
Looking for the quad headlight assembly and grille for my 91 b350. Not entirely sure if 84-86 is accurate.. might have been an available option other years as well? I know grilles/ assemblies are somewhat interchangeable from 79-93 with minor mods, if any. However, the quad assembly is what im looking for.

Heres a prime example pulled from google...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The quad headlight assembly is what im interested in mostly, the grille itself can be of any variety/configuration in modest shape.

Willing to pay or trade + cash if youre interested in what I currently have on the van, the blue van...

Let me know, im easy. Been looking for a while, even considered going to tear up an 84 caravan hoping that maaaaybe their headlamp assembly would work. Wasnt worth the 2 hour drive to almost certainly have it not work with gas prices these days (1.50+ a litre, ya, litre!).

Im in Canada, I know shipping is nuts but if the price is right and the condition is decent, I dont mind spending. Let me know if you have anything.

*side bar*
This is the 84 caravan set up, looks like it could work as an addition to my current grille and the trim. Wouldnt be a direct substitute for the actual 84 full size van assembly, theres some subtle differences but it looks like it could maaaaybe fit. I think the grille is roughly 6 inches more narrow end to end but i got to think the light assembly is the same as the full size 1984-86 vans? Anyone know if i could make the caravan assembly fit? Long shot, but figured ide put it out there... out here...

Last edited by Bsidebopper; May 16th 2021 5:41 am.
Re: Dodge Quad Headlight Assembly 84-86
Bsidebopper #776261 May 17th 2021 8:47 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
79-85 had the quad headlight setup option. I had an 85 with the quads and I swapped in a set of singles from the same year range and they bolted right in. Not sure if the older setups will bolt into the 91.

Nate Breece
--------------
1993 Chevy G20
2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
NateB #776320 May 18th 2021 6:21 am
OP Offline
Originally Posted by NateB
79-85 had the quad headlight setup option. I had an 85 with the quads and I swapped in a set of singles from the same year range and they bolted right in. Not sure if the older setups will bolt into the 91.

Nice! Maybe you can help clear up a few things?...

Does the quad set up break up into 2 headlight assemblies and a grille separately? 3 pieces total?

It looks like the trim above and below is one solid piece and likely separate from the headlight assemblies and grille, is that correct? So its 3 pieces and the trim hides that? Does that make sense?

The reason I ask is because my set up (single large rectangle headlight) breaks down into 3 pieces, chrome trim and all comes with it, you can see the seams where as with the quad there are no visible seams. Also, the large single round headlight set up (same as 2nd gen bulb) for 79+ grille/light assembly looks to be one solid assembly from what ive seen at swap meets and in the wild. Im confused how the quad breaks down and if that seamless trim is unique to that grille/headlight assembly or what.

Ide like to get an up close look at the quad set up but the only guy I know personally that runs one is 15 hours from me and i likely wont be up there until labor day. Bummer! Im going to try and find someone in the city here this summer that will let me put some finger prints on their quad set up.

Another question.. The light bulb support itself, how does that swap out? Couple bolts? Bing bang boom? Straight swap?

Any insight would be great just so I have a better idea what im getting into. If you have a line on a quad set up let me know would ya?

Last edited by Bsidebopper; May 18th 2021 6:22 am.
Bsidebopper #776405 May 19th 2021 9:57 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
The base grille from 79-85 used single round headlights and one-piece grille, whereas the 79-85 quads used a grille with pot metal chrome headlight trims (3 pieces total). When I did the swap from quads to rounds on my 85, I traded another member on here straight up from his 84. The headlight buckets mounted to a plate that bolted to the rad support, so for me it was just unbolt the plates tit for tat and boom done! Even the wiring was easy because all I had to do was unplug the pigtail for the quads and plug the pigtail for the rounds into the factory harness. I was able to find an NOS base grille and turn signal lenses to complete the swap.

All that being said, beginning in 86 (86-93) all the Dodges had single rectangular headlights and unfortunately I have zero knowledge on how those buckets mount to the rad support. I can't help you on that I'm afraid.

Nate Breece
--------------
1993 Chevy G20
2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
Bsidebopper #776480 May 20th 2021 4:40 am
OP Offline
Appreciate the help!

Truthfully, the headlight buckets are the least of my worries, ill worry about mounting them when I have the parts in my hand. If I have to fab something to make them work, so be it. Same with the wiring, that all seems easy enough to manage. Its nice to understand the components before hand though and how things relate to one another, thats valuable information so thanks again!

Im hoping someone comes through this summer with the quad set up, locally is ideal, but ide take a complete set up from the moon if I had to, dang!

Originally Posted by NateB
All that being said, beginning in 86 (86-93) all the Dodges had single rectangular headlights and unfortunately I have zero knowledge on how those buckets mount to the rad support. I can't help you on that I'm afraid.

Long shot.. But any idea if the 84-86 caravan quad set up is the same or would transfer to full size vans with minimal modification? I like to imagine they will work and that I could use my current grille, just swap the headlight assemblies. Any idea? Know anyone that might know?

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FLATSHEILD, ATH84, Stonio76, otiki, thrashit666
12012 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 200