Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
the Great Garage Clean Up of 2021
#775096 April 25th 2021 10:24 am
kursed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Some of you probably remember me talking about the big home renovation we've did over the past year+ and finally getting moved in this past October. My grandma bought the house in the early/mid 80s, she passed it to my pop who passed away July of 2016. My grandma had really bad dementia, so Pop had moved home from FL around 2014 to try taking care of the house and her affairs. The plan was to fix up the house and move in to take care of my father who was battling bad heart issues, but a month after we talked about taking out an equity loan to fix up the house, he passed. The house and garage were in a horrible state of disrepair. We worked on cleaning out the hoarded mess from the garage so we could use it while working on the house and it was a blessing, but with limited time and health, we weren't able to get either where we wanted.

Fast forward to Summer 2020, I had the garage somewhat sorted how I wanted. The wiring is still a mess. It needs a new breaker box and light switches. For now I'm running a handful of LED fixtures around the garage out of the outlets. I will eventually get to replacing the stupid breaker box, hard wiring and installing more LED fixtures, and adding a couple bigger outlets for things like a future stand up compressor and my welder/plasma cutter setup. For now the plan is to just keep cleaning and organizing the best I can trying to whip it into a functioning full-time shop for home hobbies, vehicle projects, and my art business. I'll update here as it progresses, so keep you eye on the thread for some of the garage hacks I've already come up with, and more I'm sure to come up with out of necessity.

Because of all the hectic craziness going on with the home renovation, then a last minute paint job last summer, I left it in a crazy messy disaster at the end of the summer / beginning of fall when we moved into the house. Then life took hold and I wasn't able to get out here and clean until a little warm spring weather hit. I don't have heat of any kind in here yet, but plan on installing one of those ceiling box electric blower heaters for the sake of painting. So here is what I started with about a month ago. Looked like a tornado hit it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

After about 1 day of cleaning and shuffling s#$! it was a little better, but not much improvement.

Found an old grill that I stashed in the rafters about 20 years ago and had forgotten about. I initially bought it for $10 at a yard sale thinking it was a 54 Belair, but now I'm not certain what it is as it looks a little off from the 54 Belair.

Another day, a little more progress.

This is the main storage area for hard parts and random junk. I would like to place some plywood in the rafters to help keep heat down in the garage during winters, but also to give me some more usable area for some of these less frequently used spare parts and such.

And still shuffling along. Doesn't really look like improvement yet, but trust me it is getting there.

HEY! I could finally get to my workbench. We built this bend attached to the wall to save on lumber as we had most of it already in the garage at the time, and built it too high on purpose as my pop was 6'2" tall so it would be comfortable for him to sit or stand and tinker at with his barstools. With him gone and me being 5'8" I no longer need them this high, and it would be nice to be able to slide them out for maintenance in the wall area or anything really. So I plan on completely rebuilding them at some point later this summer.

If you zoom in on any of the earlier pics of the trashed garage, you could see that my workbench was being used as a catch-all for all the tiny crap that had no home in the garage. Such a HUGE relief finally getting it cleared off enough to use. I also installed an old HP Elite desktop under the workbench on top of my dorm fridge ($5 estate auction score because I'm a tight ass, but it works). I slapped in an upgrade to 8GB RAM from 4GB, and had the local internet folks come throw a WiFi extender in because our internet is super fast fiber optic and the garage needed that too for when I'm looking up repairs or parts, not bikini pics... definitely not bikini pics. lol

When I remodeled our back half bath, it had this 3 wide vanity from wall to wall. We yanked it out and put a corner pedestal in the other end of the bathroom and a stand up corner shower where the vanity was. So the old vanity cabinets got relocated to the garage as a temporary work bench, storage area, and of course another catch-all for homeless junk.

The girls and I put up to new 6' melamine shelves above the vanity cabinets. Then I spent the past couple days sorting through this nightmare of tote bins, coffee cans, and jars full of random hardware myself, my pop, and my grandma had squirreled away over the course of many years. OMG it was painful as we hit about 35 degrees in the garage the first day, and my back is killing me from hunching over and sorting, but it paid off. Now I've got it sorted into a bunch of cheap tiny totes from Dollar Tree and some medium totes from Walmart. They're sitting on the shelves at the moment.

Yesterday I uncovered these little cubbies that the original owner had built into the wall for hardware. They are usually buried behind my small red Craftsman box, and haven't been used since the year my cousin Chris rented this house before my grandma moved in. He had a 1968 Camaro pro stock race car, and the cubbies still had his Delco spark plugs, a handful of Dzus quarter turn fasteners for the fiberglass front clip, and a Camaro RS gas cap in them. Along with a whole mess of misc. hardware, some mouse beds and nasty mess. I took one of the 1x2 faces off of the shelves, then started clearing them out when I realized the shelves weren't even attached to the box, only being held up with the little aluminum scrap deviders. So I've got all the shelves out and when I'm done cleaning it out I will attach the shelves somehow and use this for my less frequently used hardware since it's hidden behind the red toolbox.

More to come soon.

Re: the Great Garage Clean Up of 2021
kursed #775103 April 25th 2021 11:28 am
M
veteran
veteran
M
A man can never have to big of a garage. Seems as soon as I do a garage clean-up or reshuffle of what is inside, I get a clear spot and drag something else in to take up the space. My wife always says that I have 5 mid-Dodge vans, I just need to assemble the other 4.

Meanmachine #775105 April 25th 2021 11:48 am
kursed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Meanmachine
A man can never have to big of a garage. Seems as soon as I do a garage clean-up or reshuffle of what is inside, I get a clear spot and drag something else in to take up the space. My wife always says that I have 5 mid-Dodge vans, I just need to assemble the other 4.

lol

100% truth man. I've already found a spot for a new tool and haven't cleared the spot out yet. LMAO! I'm currently borrowing a 1 ton Harbor Freight transmission jack from a friend, and I liked it well enough I'm just going to buy myself one.

kursed #775106 April 25th 2021 2:18 pm
Rust N Dents
Rust N Dents
That grille is from a '52 Chevy.

[Linked Image]
Rusty_Pancelode #775107 April 25th 2021 3:41 pm
kursed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
That grille is from a '52 Chevy.

I'll be darned, you're right on the money. I didn't recall the 52 ever having teeth in the grille. I bought it many years ago when I had a 53 Belair. Wish I still had that car. Super solid, pop bought it for my first car at an estate auction around 1991 for $25. No one would bid on it, so he threw his hand up and said $25 as a joke, then ended up buying it. Had a few people offer us $500 as we were loading it up on his friend's car trailer. We ended up selling it in 1993 when we moved from VA to FL, and I haven't seen it since. White 2 door with green top and all the trim.

kursed #775110 April 25th 2021 5:29 pm
kursed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So I got all the shelves out, cleaned up the mouse nastiness, and used pocket screws to reattach the shelves without the dumb aluminum scrap dividers. Touched up the edges and a few ugly spots with a little spray paint, then moved a bunch of the hardware containers over to the new cubby/shelves to free up some shelf space on the other side of the shop where I had them temp stashed.

kursed #775112 April 25th 2021 6:49 pm
M
veteran
veteran
M
Them plastic containers work great for storing bolts, nuts, screws, nails, etc.

kursed #775118 April 25th 2021 7:59 pm
I got mine cleaned up to the point I could put up the ping pong table ... for a while, for the G kids .. for a while lol

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
kursed #775121 April 25th 2021 8:07 pm
Rust N Dents
Rust N Dents
You look like you're making some good progress.
Reorganizing garages/hobby areas is one of the things I hate most in the world (second only to shoe shopping and my first mother-in-law).
I find that if I can make a spot for things, there's a place for them to go back to later.
If I don't do that, I end up with piles of crap everywhere.
Also... flat surfaces collect stuff really quickly at my place.
Most of the time I feel like my space is that number puzzle where you slide the number into the empty space... except I don't have an empty space.
lol

[Linked Image]
kursed #775126 April 25th 2021 9:35 pm
But Rusty dont you have a 40 acre garage ?

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2 guests, and 4 robots.