#774901 April 20th 2021 10:47 pm
A
ajm5034 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Hi All,

I'm assuming that this is a common problem with the G series vans. I have a very clean, rust free 1990 G30 with the exception of the battery tray. It's pretty much non-existent. I'm not having luck finding a replacement tray, nor am I having luck finding the original GM part number. Does anyone have info as to getting a replacement tray and bracket, IF they're available?

If anyone has any very clean used ones, I would also be interested!

Re: G Van Battery Tray?
ajm5034 #774907 April 20th 2021 11:14 pm
J
journeyman
journeyman
J

Jason
2008 Ford E-250 4x4
1984 Chevy G20 5.3L/4L60E (SOLD)
1 member likes this: ajm5034
ajm5034 #774916 April 21st 2021 8:59 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Originally Posted by ajm5034
Hi All,

I'm assuming that this is a common problem with the G series vans. I have a very clean, rust free 1990 G30 with the exception of the battery tray. It's pretty much non-existent. I'm not having luck finding a replacement tray, nor am I having luck finding the original GM part number. Does anyone have info as to getting a replacement tray and bracket, IF they're available?

If anyone has any very clean used ones, I would also be interested!

The one in my '93 was rusted up too. I found a diesel van in a local yard with hydro-boost brakes. Over the years that thing leaked oil and power steering fluid all over the place so when I pulled the tray it had a thick layer of funk all over it. After I cleaned it off, it was like brand new! I got lucky that's for sure.

I still have my old tray (I think) that can be cleaned up and painted if you're interested. I have to double check to see if I still have it....93 should fit a 90.

Nate Breece
1 member likes this: ajm5034
ajm5034 #774969 April 22nd 2021 4:24 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
While mine is a Dodge, the battery tray had rusted badly despite efforts to slow it, and I cut it out in 2015.

I have a second battery tray underbody behind driver's seat which can fit two group 27's, and the single group 27 Northstar AGM battery residing there at that time, proved more than capable enough at powering overnight house loads and then engine starting, even when well depleted, that I never replaced the tray, until just recently.

While the tray was out, I stuck my head inside and looked up in the corners, and all the body filler they used back in '88 was cracked, and when the chisel removed it there was the expected rust.

I investigated this further and basically the whole wiper valance/drain allows rainwater and gravity to route a portion of the water along the seam just inside.

So basically the battery tray was always getting wet and a significant factor in its demise.

While I guess the recommended battery size is a group 35, I had stuffed larger group 24 and group 27 and just barely a group 31 on the original battery tray.

The new tray I installed about 3/4 inch lower, the headlight socket/connector being the reason I could not go any lower.

That Northstar group 27 aged/cycled out after 6 years and ~1200 deep cycles( very impressive) and I replaced it with a group 31 Northstar. I just moved that Northstar-31 into the engine compartment, and the dual 27 tray has been Osphoed, and coated in a thick coat of Surfboard laminating epoxy which has better adhesion and impermeability than multiple layers of paint.

I have two old but still relatively healthy East Penn Deka intimidator 6v GC-2 AGMs that I got free, that will be going there relatively soon. They are taller than a group 31 and I have to make a new hatch cover to accommodate their greater height.

Anyway, While its been several years since I saw the battery tray on an early 90's chevy, I was unimpressed with the battery size when I installed a second battery and solar into the Chevy.

A larger battery has the advantage of not only more cranking amps to turn the starter faster, but can provide much more accessory power for whatever, before it cannot still start the engine. Parasitic draws will make less of a dent in its capacity if the vehicle sits for a long while without being started, and the larger/heavier battery does not cost significantly more than the original battery size. Upto ~80% more capacity for 15% more $$.

If these attributes are desirable to the OP, consider modifying the battery tray to accommodate the largest 12v battery that can fit, and the group 31 is basically the largest easily available 12v battery without going to the huge 4d or 8d sizes like the school busses and big rigs.

Wally world's ~110$ group 29 is basically a group 31 and is a fairly respectable marine/ dual purpose battery, which can allow one to blast the stereo engine off for a lot longer than the stock sized battery. Probably made by Clarios, which used to be johnson controls, but might be an east Penn, it depends on which region of the country, but the East Penn is likely better.

I know the GM side terminals are another factor to deal with and I have no clue how much, if any bigger, of a battery can fit.

Attached Files 20210410_140503.jpg
ajm5034 #774979 April 22nd 2021 7:18 pm
E
stranger
stranger
E
I looked everywhere for a replacement battery tray myself before finding a parts van that had a good one, I came across the one already mentioned at Mill Supply, but it is missing the welded on side support and the welded on lower support. The tray shown in the pic looks identical to our tray minus the welded brackets. I did find a site that i was able to put an order in for one. A few days later they gave me a call and said they did not have any in stock but every year or so they would make up 50 to 100 of them depending on demand. He told me he would give me a call when they made up another batch. That was 2 years or so ago. i dont think I am going to get that call and I cant remember for the life of me the name of the company. I believe thy made body parts for resellers. If I can find the site again I will post it here.

ajm5034 #774991 April 22nd 2021 9:32 pm
veteran
veteran
I'm planning on having the machine shop whip me one out of aluminum sheet to my measurements eventually, that way I never have to worry about it rusting out in my lifetime. Heck stainless might even be cheap enough to go that route.

Here are a few options too.

Speedway Motors Link #1

Speedway Motors Link #2

Speedway Motors Link #3

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 11 robots.