Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Wanted] Custom Paint Job For Our 2020 Ford Transit Connect
#773436 March 24th 2021 7:48 pm
L
OP Offline
L
Comments Withdrawn. Found a Custom Body Shop Willing To Paint The Van

Last edited by LostInTransit; March 25th 2021 4:25 am.
Re: [Wanted] Custom Paint Job For Our 2020 Ford Transit Connect
LostInTransit #773441 March 24th 2021 9:30 pm
veteran
veteran
I don't currently have a shop big enough, but I can tell you I wouldn't touch it without being able to remove the doors, and any reputable shop would tell you the same.

Number one thing to consider is candy paints are not like regular paints. They are extra finicky and tough to spray unless you have a lot of experience painting with them. A rookie will get a mottled and striped result.

Another thing to consider is that no person on this earth is capable of spraying inside the door jambs, under the hood, etc (what we call cutting in or trim in painting) and get a great paint job without removing those panels. There are plenty of painters that will tell you they can, but I'd lay a large sum of money on the table that says I can point one of those jobs out in a flat second. This is especially true with candy paints.

Candy paint isn't even technically paint. It is a dye that the painter adds to clear coat or another similar binder. I add mine to mid coat clear, usually house of colors. So for a proper candy paint job, you need one more step in the process than normal, and this requires extra time. Primer if bodywork is needed, sealer, base coat, candy, then clear.

Take a deep breath and try not to get irritated at the fact that you can't find a painter willing to do what you want, because technically what you want is the incorrect procedure, and the painters understand that, but since you don't do custom paintjobs for a living, you wouldn't know that. You're not expected to know that, but now you do.

If I had a shop big enough I would paint it, but I would take 3 to 4 weeks, and I would also insist on removing doors and hood. After all, I as a custom painter am essentially an artist, and I would never sign my name to a halfass painting, I only sell art that is up to my standards. Every piece I paint has my name written all over it even without a signature, and every person that knows anything about custom paint and would see that botched job would slander my name from coast to coast.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
LostInTransit #773476 March 25th 2021 11:55 am
veteran
veteran
Thanks for the nasty PM, I really appreciate that sort of childish behavior after I stuck up for you and welcomed you to the site when you were having second thoughts on whether this was the right place for you or not. Ordinarily I would keep this in PM and not post to the public forum, but in this case I thought it would be relevant to anyone that might feel the need to chime in on any of your threads trying to help you in the future, as help or advice is clearly not what you want. You merely want someone to agree with you at every turn.

It's no wonder so many of these companies are turning you down left and right at every turn of your build. Just take a moment and reflect on your attitude. If you cop half the attitude with these companies as you have with me over a simple piece of advice on a custom paint job, I don't blame them one bit from constantly turning you away.

So just because I gave you an answer you didn't like, you decided to get butt hurt and ban me from replying to any of your threads? Have you realized I'm one of the very few people that are even responding positively to your threads? Have you noticed that every single one of my responses has been positive until the paint issue, and that wasn't even a negative response, I was only giving you truthful input on why you were running into problems. I answered honestly to your post about the custom paint, and I stand by what I said. If you've found shops that are willing to paint the van the wrong way, so be it, but I guarantee a reputable custom painter would point out the flaws if they ever saw the vehicle.

What I was telling you was in no way meant as a nasty attack on you, I was simply telling you why the shops were turning you down. I've been doing custom paint work on and off since the mid 1990s and have a bit of experience with this sort of thing.

Maybe if you don't want the truth, then don't ask the questions.

Or maybe word your question in such a way as to make everyone aware that you only want to get answers that will agree with you and not upset you.

Don't worry, I won't be wasting anymore time responding to your silly nonsense as you've just burned that bridge, hopefully someone else will chime in from now on and help keep your head inflated.

Attached Files
Screenshot 2021-03-25 113813.png (103.73 KB, 55 downloads)

LostInTransit #773531 March 26th 2021 7:44 am
L
OP Offline
L
According to our powder coaters he's lined up a custom paint shop willing to do the paint job for us. Furthermore, I posted this comment in the painting body works in the hopes of having another van enthusiast offer up and ideas about wanting to repaint the van. NOT hear some BS about what will or what wont work. If you can't do the repainting the do not reply to the topic. I couldn't care your thoughts about what if or why something isn't going to work. I would trust my powder coaters words over someone I've never met online trying to tell ship I already know. In fact I'm going to repainting the roof of my van myself. The only issue is I've never done the candy color appearance so I'm leaving it to the experts and if memory serves me correctly, when I first join the community I said I didn't fell right here because my vanning thoughts and ideas aren't good enough for you old school has been.
Again, I was looking to see if any of the vanners would have been interested in repainting the van plus paying them a bit of money to help support their own projects. But apparently not. As for you, @kursed all you should have said " no sorry I can't paint the van for you" instead you have to spout of gibberish I couldn't care anything about because my post was looking for those willing to paint the van not explain sh!t when I know what I'm doing and who I need to turn to, to have this done. Stay out of my threads as your comments are worthless to me "stat farmer" I don't play the numbers. Clearly this is NOT the right forum for me.. make all the excuses you want, you're no longer wanted or will be seen or heard in my threads "Ignored" and gone.
Lastly and before I leave, you're just jealous that I have about 10K burning a hole in my pocket and all I wanted was to submit an offer to the van community to see if there was anyone wanting to repaint the van for us. Instead you've elected to turn my thread into a farce and not offer anything legitimate to the conversation. Either you could/can do the repaint or you can't thats all I needed to hear. But now, that's all a mute point.

Last edited by LostInTransit; March 26th 2021 7:57 am.
LostInTransit #773538 March 26th 2021 8:53 am
veteran
veteran
Wow, I haven't seen anyone get this bent out of shape for a long time, well at least 3 days I guess. And the last time I saw someone go "Full Karen" was on Facebook, but thanks for bringing your drama here.

I could give a crap if you have $5 or $5mil to dump in your project, but I am definitely not jealous of a Transit Connect or anything related to it. Washed up has been old schoolers? Did you just graduate high school man?

Maybe you can dig in that big bag of nasty names and find some better cut downs, because so far you're feeding us a huge pile of lame. You're basically doing the same thing that the Facebook trolls do when they get bored, only on a forum. Bravo sir.

I was trying to welcome you and I was respectful to you until you went over the deep end for no reason at all over my post. Simply because you didn't want to hear the truth.

Now you're making an even bigger ass out of yourself, you just can't leave well enough alone dude. Good riddance and don't let the door hit ya on the way out drama queen.

1 member likes this: NateB

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530