Power Windows in G10 that never had them
#770471 January 30th 2021 7:44 pm
A
ABVan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Hello all, I found this schematic on the interweb that possibly works great for a van that previously had power windows, but mine did not. Mine is a 1979 Chevy G10 and i found the doors from an early eighties G20 that had power windows and door locks, and would like to have them in my '79.
I have purchased the relays and hooked them up exactly as the diagram shows. The drivers side controls works and the window rolls up and down with ease. When activating the passenger control from the drivers side, i can hear the 3 and 4 relay clicking but no up and down with the motor. When i go over to the passenger side and active the controls, there was nothing. I realized it needed power and found that the pink wire is the power wire and hooked it to R4/87. I now get the same clicking of the relays as i heard on the drivers side passenger controls, but no motor up and down. With a separate battery i isolated the passenger side motor and placed a positive wire to the Blue and negative to the Tan and could hear it click. Same when i reversed the wires, so assume the motor is ok. I believe the switch is ok as it is activating the 3 and 4 relay with up and down activation. I am no electrician but enjoy trying to figure it out, but i have hours and hours into trying different things and i cannot seem to get the passenger side window to roll up and down from either the drivers or passenger controls. Possibly, the Dark Brown and Blue/White wires need into the party somewhere?
Would anyone have any suggestions or possibly a beginner diagram that would help me get these things working, even if it's the non upgrage or stock wiring method? Appreciate the help.

Attached Files PowerWindows-4Relays.JPG
Re: Power Windows in G10 that never had them
ABVan #770494 January 30th 2021 9:43 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
The passenger side motor clicked when you put power to it in either direction?
Did it spark, too?

It should have run, not just clicked.

Sounds to me like the motor could be bad, or the window or regulator is binding.
Take a voltmeter and check the voltages at the motor when the switch is activated and see what you get.

If you've got it wired like the diagram, and the relays are working when you activate the switches, then the window motor should be running, because that entire circuit would be complete.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
ABVan #770529 January 31st 2021 2:56 am
A
ABVan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
It did spark in either direction. I'll put a volt meter on it tomorrow and see what I get and let you know. Thanks for the quick reply.

ABVan #771350 February 13th 2021 8:59 pm
A
ABVan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Well, first off...apologies for taking so long to reply, in case you were trying the same thing and waiting on me to figure out the issue. It been a little hectic these past couple weeks.
Anyway, Rusty_Pancelode you were exactly right. I didn't put a volt meter on the motor but picked up a new one and it was in fact the motor. I updated the diagram to show what i have currently. The pink needed to go to power. It seems if i use the dark brown wire from the passenger down control and the Dark Blue for up, it works fine. However, although the drivers side controls work the passenger motor up and down, when I try the passenger controls, all i get is clicks at the relay both up and down. If i unhook the tan and blue/white wires from the driver control passenger, the switch on the passenger side works fine both up and down. Its like either/or, and almost like the relay doesn't want the drivers passenger control to work with the passenger control. Possibly the passenger side switch is not getting power to the motor, although the relays click? Maybe I need another 2 relays just for the passenger side, and run them independent of the drivers side switch. Holy hell this wiring is time consuming. If anyone has any ideas, I'm sure up for it.

Attached Files PowerWindows-4Relays.a.JPG
ABVan #771370 February 14th 2021 1:49 am
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
No need to add more relays...
The circuit is complicated enough already. smile

I don't know what's going on there, but it seems like you're losing some voltage from the passenger's side switch or something when it's all hooked up.
It could be a connector issue.
I don't know what type of connectors you're using, but make sure all the connections are secure.
If you had a voltmeter, you'd probably have it fixed already.
You need to check the voltages at the wires that go to pins 86 on R3 and R4 (when they are unhooked from the relays) while the passenger's switch is being activated.
Compare that to the voltages at those same points while the driver's side passenger switch is being activated.
They should be the same (or REALLY darn close).

If the voltages are the same, then it may be a current delivery issue.
Make sure you're using thick enough wire on those two jumpers (The tan and dark blue ones).

Since those two switches are wired together in parallel, they should be providing the very same function in the circuit.
Since they are not doing that, something's goofed up somewhere.

The only other thing I can think of is if there's an issue with where the 12V is coming from going to each switch.
It would probably be best if both switches were getting 12V from the exact same place, and that that place was different from where the relays are getting their 12V.
(Unless, of course, they are all getting 12V directly from the battery)

That's all I got, man.
It's hard to trouble shoot your stuff from here.
lol

Good luck!
Let us know what you find.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
ABVan #771382 February 14th 2021 4:49 pm
J
addict
addict
J
You mention you can make the window go up and down by applying power to either motor lead, so you have 2 windings one up, one down, the ground is the case. The biggest problem with early GM PW is that it uses the hinge pins as a crummy ground connection to the body. Try grounding the Door. In theory you have a voltage drop across your controls, check with a meter. Combine the two problems and you have a no go. My friends 78 TA has slow windows in the spring I am going to bond the whole car together (new grounding to everywhere). I can see the point of the circuit in the drawing the wiring in old vans well are just old and the window are a heavy load. It's clever but uses to many pieces. You really want a way to separate the driver and pass having a window fight and blowing a fuse.

ABVan #771667 February 19th 2021 5:41 pm
A
ABVan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Appreciate all the help. I scrapped the 4 Relay deal to go back to an original installation following the attached diagram. Guess what? Same issue. I gave up and recruited a friend who's good with auto electrics to come get them working, among other things needing hooked up.
I'll be sure to post what i find out. I now really wish I had tried the grounding idea as that may have been it. I'll be sure my buddy is aware that the grounding of the doors is an old issue.
Thanks.

Attached Files PowerWindows.jpg

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530