Print Thread
Rate Thread
New to the forum; smoke at start, swivels, and steering
#770386 January 29th 2021 10:17 pm
B
OP Offline
B
Howdy y'all,

New to the chevy van world. i just bought a 1995 g20 conversion. good condition! super excited about it... but when i start it the exhaust has some heavy white smoke coming out. now, I'm not loosing any coolant or oil.. so maybe the valve cover gaskets? As soon as i start driving it goes away and doesn't come back. but if i turn the car off and back on, it starts all over again...

Pretty sure its not condensation cuz its thick and quite smelly, like a boat...

also, steering... are these vans pretty loose on the steering front? like kinda floating down the highway also, like a boat?

if i HAVE to do the valve cover gaskets in order to save my engine from future problems i will, but I'm intimidated and i haven't found a good youtube video explaining how.. any suggestions on that?

and WHAT A BUMMER the front seats didn't come stock swivel! having a hard time finding a swivel attachment that matches my 11x14 stock base

Thanks!

Re: New to the forum; smoke at start, swivels, and steering
Brother kitten #770397 January 30th 2021 12:42 am
veteran
veteran
Smoke:
- white is usually coolant, has a sweet smell.
- blue-ish is usually oil, smells distinctly like burning oil. If you don't know that smell, pour a dab on the engine when it's hot and you'll learn it quickly, lol.
- black/grey is usually fuel, has a pungent gassy smell, also tends to make your eyes water.

Steering:
- Shouldn't be loose or spongey. Suspension can tend to "float" and make it feel like a boat, but if your steering is doing that, check and replace the worn parts thoroughly.

Valve cover gaskets:
- Shouldn't be too difficult, just time consuming and messy. Best way to learn is by doing it yourself. Videos can help, so can a repair manual, but hands on will teach you more than anything else. If you don't feel comfortable or have little mechanical skills though you may want to take it to a shop.

Swivel bases:
- Just keep checking the junkyards and FB marketplace / Craigslist. Keep in mind if you have the mechanical skills, you can make seats out of most anything work. Don't forget to check the RVs in the scrapyard while you're there.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Brother kitten #770420 January 30th 2021 1:52 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
A valve cover leak won't come out the exhaust.
It doesn't take a lot of oil or coolant to smoke on start up but, if it's not condensate and it's smelly like you say, it's gotta be one or the other.
A radiator shop or repair shop can pressurize the cooling system to check for any leaks.
Also check your EGR valve operation and the PCV valve. A bad (or uncontrolled) EGR can cause incomplete combustion during cold start (fuel smoke) and a crapped PCV can suck oil into the intake (oil smoke). Both of these items will usually cause a choppy idle during warm up.
BTW you didn't say which engine you have but if it's the 4.3 V6, it's coolant..... frown

Last edited by CatFish; January 30th 2021 1:57 pm.
CatFish #770431 January 30th 2021 2:55 pm
B
OP Offline
B
its the 5.0 305. at least my radiator has a sticker that says 5.7l so.... i will have the coolant system pressurized, i dont think its the EGR valve because it idles just fine... I suspect it most be coolant based off the smell, it smells almost good. nostalgia ya know...

Last edited by Brother_kitten; February 16th 2021 6:01 pm.
Brother kitten #770441 January 30th 2021 5:16 pm
Heater core drippin ?

as far as steering all Chevys float ... to help with that I installed dual steering stabilizer's ... and a sway bar

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
Brother kitten #770448 January 30th 2021 6:43 pm
B
OP Offline
B
the odd part of it all is that the smoke stops once i start driving... my understanding is that if it were a head gasket it would smoke all the time... Ill check the heater core.

How was that installing the dual steering stabilizers? cost and time?

Brother kitten #770456 January 30th 2021 7:04 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
It's possible that the head gasket is leaking in such a way that coolant only gets into the cylinder in large enough amounts to produce visible smoke when it's not running (and coolant is dripping/seeping in over time).
You start it, and the coolant that leaked in there burns off and smokes...
Then, while it's running, it's just getting a drop or so at a time, and not getting enough coolant into the combustion chamber to blow a bunch of smoke all at once.
That could also be why you're not noticing a loss of coolant, because it's disappearing drop by drop rather than ounce by ounce.

Just an idea.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
Brother kitten #770483 January 30th 2021 8:30 pm
B
OP Offline
B
I'm starting to think that perhaps, just maybe, I'm paranoid cuz its a new car and it was condensation the whole time, but it runs rich so as to give the appearance of having a strong smell. cuz it definitely runs rich... after the smoke is long gone the smell remains quite strongly

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)