Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Van Prices
Lee7673 #770217 January 27th 2021 2:39 am
Long time creeper, have to post about some recent experiences..

Ive been back and forth for a year or more now with dozens of van owners (not vanners) in my area, western Canada. Most people are simply using craiglist and facebook as a benchmark to price their vans and have no real intimate knowledge of the quirks, work needed or anything besides what theyve already invested in. They see a parts van on the buy and sell for 2k and think "hey, if this dog sh*t is worth 2k, mine must be worth 10k!" ..i enjoy reminding them thats not the case, even though this whole spike in price really bothers me. I break it down for them nicely but it never makes a difference. Everyone has it figured out even though they know jack about sh*t and have never done an oil change for themselves.

I have been to check out 10 to 15 to maybe 20 vans in the last year, mostly mid dodge, some 79-92, some gmc/chev 70-89 and one 72 ford. I have intended to buy each one of them prior to seeing them but after a few tough negotiations I havent driven home a single one. Its not without trying, im a fairly pleasant guy, chatty and I usually get along great with anybody who owns a cool old whatever.. Even though i secretly hate 98% of people. 😉

The reason being, most of the time, the seller thinks their van is made out of f*cking gold or something? I will get under it and point out the dried bushings, the wheel cylinders leaking, the suspension bagged, the exhaust rusted through, the holes in the floors, every thing i can to get them to come down to a realistic price. They wont budge.. They know that if they hold onto it long enough that some cuck is going to give them the money. Then, that cuck gets stuck with a 8 thousand dollar van that needs 2k in work right away and another 2k throughout the summer as the van breaks down from being neglected for 20 years. They rip out the original interior, paint it with house paint, call it refurbished and try and sell it the following year for 15k. Thats whats been happening around here for the last 5 years or more. Its frustrating as hell. I cant go on the buy and sell anymore without needing a stiff drink afterwards. Suddenly every van is a boogie van and worth 10k.. Wild! Even the ones that are "reasonably" priced are dog sh*t in person and worth half their asking. Its a huge bummer, it really is.

Sliver lining.. If i live long enough, these vans will all be worth 500-1000 again one day due to neglect, ill scoop em up then for my van farm and roll em on down the hill.

half-sorry for the first post rant, its been my number one bother for years now. Which, i guess isnt that bad considering the world and all...

AdSense long
Lee7673 #770230 January 27th 2021 12:09 pm
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well that's quite the second post! And I suspect you are correct in your assessments, especially the one about 98% of the people!

The ads that make me chuckle are the stripped out conversion vans with rhino lined exteriors and crappy led headlights that are for sale at $8 and 10k. Skip those pos's

Yes prices are climbing but I still think vans are incredibly inexpensive compared to their kin. I don't know squat about Mopars but have you priced a mid 60s Chevy lately, a short bed square body, hell even a Fox body Ford. They are all up too.

I'm selling my cars so I can fund another van!

Lee7673 #770231 January 27th 2021 12:59 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
I bought my van last year for $3000.00 and felt I got a ok deal (didn’t over pay or under pay) this year, I saw a van that was a model twin ( same year, same conversion co, same mileage, same in most every way but color) that the seller wants $10,000.00 for. And that is not a isolated case. I see many vans in the 10-15k range for late 80s to early 90s vans.... hell I only pain $3k for Wolf-den and she had show history.

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
Bsidebopper #770234 January 27th 2021 1:23 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
Originally Posted by Bsidebopper

...half-sorry for the first post rant, its been my number one bother for years now. Which, i guess isnt that bad considering the world and all...

Hey! Nice to meet you! lol

I agree with you 100%.
The same thing seems to be going on all around and it's not just vans either (although the vans seemed to have spiked the most).

When I bought my van in the picture, people could barely give one away (2014).
The guy wanted $2500 for it, and it was for sale for over a month.
He got the A/C fixed, raised the price to $3500, and I gave him $2300 for it.
lol
It's just a cargo van with a 350, automatic, and power door locks.
It had 68,000 miles on it when I bought it.

Now I'm seeing people trying to get $7500 for similar vans that aren't as nice.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
1 member likes this: Bsidebopper
Bsidebopper #770244 January 27th 2021 3:53 pm
Master Yard Rat
Master Yard Rat
Originally Posted by Bsidebopper

Ive been back and forth for a year or more now with dozens of van owners (not vanners) in my area, western Canada. Most people are simply using craiglist and facebook as a benchmark to price their vans and have no real intimate knowledge of the quirks, work needed or anything besides what theyve already invested in. They see a parts van on the buy and sell for 2k and think "hey, if this dog sh*t is worth 2k, mine must be worth 10k!" ..i enjoy reminding them thats not the case, even though this whole spike in price really bothers me. I break it down for them nicely but it never makes a difference. Everyone has it figured out even though they know jack about sh*t and have never done an oil change for themselves.

I have been to check out 10 to 15 to maybe 20 vans in the last year, mostly mid dodge, some 79-92, some gmc/chev 70-89 and one 72 ford. I have intended to buy each one of them prior to seeing them but after a few tough negotiations I havent driven home a single one. Its not without trying, im a fairly pleasant guy, chatty and I usually get along great with anybody who owns a cool old whatever.. Even though i secretly hate 98% of people. 😉

The reason being, most of the time, the seller thinks their van is made out of f*cking gold or something? I will get under it and point out the dried bushings, the wheel cylinders leaking, the suspension bagged, the exhaust rusted through, the holes in the floors, every thing i can to get them to come down to a realistic price. They wont budge.. They know that if they hold onto it long enough that some cuck is going to give them the money. Then, that cuck gets stuck with a 8 thousand dollar van that needs 2k in work right away and another 2k throughout the summer as the van breaks down from being neglected for 20 years. They rip out the original interior, paint it with house paint, call it refurbished and try and sell it the following year for 15k. Thats whats been happening around here for the last 5 years or more. Its frustrating as hell. I cant go on the buy and sell anymore without needing a stiff drink afterwards. Suddenly every van is a boogie van and worth 10k.. Wild! Even the ones that are "reasonably" priced are dog sh*t in person and worth half their asking. Its a huge bummer, it really is.

Sliver lining.. If i live long enough, these vans will all be worth 500-1000 again one day due to neglect, ill scoop em up then for my van farm and roll em on down the hill.

half-sorry for the first post rant, its been my number one bother for years now. Which, i guess isnt that bad considering the world and all...

Now come to CA where rust is a non issue most of the time.

You hear the thunder of stampeding rhinos, elephants and tacky tigers
This town ain't big enough for the both of us
And it ain't me who's gonna leave
1 member likes this: Bsidebopper
Lee7673 #770269 January 27th 2021 10:49 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
It's not just the older full size vans. We spent 9 months looking for a replacement Astro. Seen a lot for 4k -5k range. A few in the 7k-10k range. I'm not talking custom Astros either. Looked at a few that were completely different then advertised. We ended up finding a one owner 05 Kia Sedona with 80k miles for 3k.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arianrhod:2003 Chevy Astro
Black Magic: 1985 Dodge B-250
Serenity:1985 Chevy G-20
The Outcast:1983 Ford club wagon
Luna 1974 VW bay window transporter
Freedom:1990 Ford E-150(parts van)
Outcast Vanners van club
Support your local 2%
1959 #770284 January 28th 2021 5:04 am
Originally Posted by 1959
Well that's quite the second post! And I suspect you are correct in your assessments, especially the one about 98% of the people!

The ads that make me chuckle are the stripped out conversion vans with rhino lined exteriors and crappy led headlights that are for sale at $8 and 10k. Skip those pos's

Yes prices are climbing but I still think vans are incredibly inexpensive compared to their kin. I don't know squat about Mopars but have you priced a mid 60s Chevy lately, a short bed square body, hell even a Fox body Ford. They are all up too.

I'm selling my cars so I can fund another van!

I just had a bit of a heated back and forth with a guy who stripped out a real gem of a 79 dodge camper van. He ripped out every thing cool and then painted over the veneer/cabinetry that was left with navy blue and white paint. Its a 2 tone van, gold and brown... I mean, cmon! Absolutely no taste! The conversation ended with me saying, "whatever you do, pleeeease dont buy any more vans because this is borderline tragic"

And I agree about the price comparison/inflation of other classics or any vehicles of prominence. Square bodies, dodge cummins, any jeep pickup/wagon, they have all sky rocketed in value and in my life they are typically more common and accessible than vans. With exception to jeep pickups and wagoneers.

I dont see the issue being that there is less of these vehicles now than ever, less supply, more demand, that whole thing, i dont think thats the case. I believe its because tire-kickin owners have selfishly and ignorantly inflated the value time and time again and the prices have just stuck. Access to vehicles of any variety is easier now than ever, which in my mind should keep vehicle prices reasonable and steady as there is more available on the market. Somehow thats not the case? I get that slightly more people are getting into these oldies and goodies, but when it comes to vans, doubling in value in a matter of a couple years doesnt really make sense too me. There are a lot of vans available in most markets across Canada, theres no shortage here. Vans just sit on the buy and sell for months and months at 10-15k or more because no one can justify the price.

I whole heartedly blame the vanlife thing and yuppies who buy their socks one at a time.

Lee7673 #770299 January 28th 2021 11:44 am
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
I agree with that too!

I bought a Suzuki Samurai (talk about crazy prices) a couple of weeks ago...
After I made him an offer, the owner responded by trying to justify the crazy prices he'd seen as of late.
I asked him if those people were here making an offer.
He said I had a good point, then accepted my offer.
lol

You might have fun visiting us in the classified section where we pick apart vans that are priced goofily.
lol
There's cool stuff there sometimes, too.

Last edited by Rusty_Pancelode; January 28th 2021 11:49 am.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
Lee7673 #770306 January 28th 2021 12:30 pm
Lee7673 Offline OP
Master Metal Sculptor
OP Offline
Master Metal Sculptor
Prices getting this crazy I might have to sell mine! NOPE....I have WAY to much time, effort and love into them to sell.....and I would NEVER get back out wat I have into them but that's ok. Bought them cheap though

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rich11304, Maggpratt89, theGiggityGig, B150 SHIFT head, Gruff
12716 Registered Users