Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: '88 B250 running problems
KogonDodge #770307 January 28th 2021 12:34 pm
OP Offline
@wrcsixeight Rockauto do sell them. Price isn't too bad either. I think I might take that option, approx $200 for something I can check is teh right thing first versus half a day of my time and possibly the wrong thing once I get there.

If it comes to it, that is probably the way I will go; thanks buddy for that suggestion.

1988 B250 Conversion Van
https://i.imgur.com/uQPPuqo.jpg
KogonDodge #770311 January 28th 2021 2:27 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
The map.sensor codes.will likely come back the next time it acts up as manifold vaccuum goes haywire.

Id highly recommend opening your computer and matching.the part numbers.
I sent several back and forth by trusting their numbrrs descriptions.

Id.also recommend eating the core.charge and keeping your original.

1 member likes this: KogonDodge
KogonDodge #770343 January 29th 2021 2:53 am
OP Offline
New O2 sensor has made no difference. this has led me to reconsider the last time I "fixed" this. Messing with the throttle body and the O2 sensor seemed to make it go away (more or less). So if the O2 sensor wasn't the solution, then it must have been the TBI.

This has pointed my observations towards the injectors and I've taken a closer look. What I noticed is that they are behaving differently, so a likely suspect. Problem is I don't know which one is right. Part of me thinks it doesn't matter, as one of them is probably playing up.

Driver side - a constant spray, making the butterfly noticeably wet, all the time
Passenger side - nothing, dryness, then a burst, then the engine revs. It seems like the constant spray would be better?

My manual says "Sprays fuel into intake manifold, above intake ports, in an even, conical pattern.", so........

I've got 2 new injectors on their way from Rockauto. I went for a new item from standard motor products which was the most expensive, party because it is coming fastest and partly because i don't want to cheap out and get messed around with a faulty part (hey, most expensive doesn't always mean best , but usualy it does)

I have a date with this van on Thursday so I need to ge it working or my trip is off!

1988 B250 Conversion Van
KogonDodge #770359 January 29th 2021 12:05 pm
Injectors should always be spraying uniformly (cone pattern, no drips) and can be checked for function using a noid light. Could have wiring issues in that circuit, worth triple checking that. Also, If you have a strobe or flashing light from a headlamp or something, it makes seeing the spray pattern a little easier, if needed.

I have had some similar issues on a few different vehicles, nothing exact but some similarities..

Fuel filter clogged - my issues were, stalls under load, stalls at idle

If the van sat for 10 years and you only swapped out the fuel filter once or twice since youve been driving the last couple years, it woudnt hurt to swap a new one in now while youre servicing everything and especially while doing injectors. They can clog again almost immediately if youre tank is nasty and fuel delivery problems start all over again. You can have proper pressure but improper volume, its rare, but its a thing. I try to do my filter every oil change or two because theyre cheap and i usually have some minor rust and gunk in certain vehicles.

I have had issues with power loss on hills - van not kicking down into 2nd until almost losing all speed entirely

Adjusted kick down, made a minor difference. I rebuilt that transmission shortly after because I snapped the ear on my reverse band backing out of a driveway reversing up hill. With the thorough rebuild, tight tolerances and careful install my issue went away and now i can cruise most hills in 3rd. Cant say exactly what the issue was but with things replaced and adjusted to spec it solved that issue.

Ground/Battery issues - can cause all kinds of problems but it sounds like you have gone over that stuff well.

To me it sounds like it could possibly be a vacuum system or throttle body issue but im leaning more towards a fuel delivery problem. Make sure your pump is supplying adequate pressure, getting proper voltage and ground, filter is fresh, injectors and circuit are functioning and return line is free flowing. I thought i saw someone mentioning the sock on the pick up in the gas tank? Definitely worth a look if all else fails. I have also had some luck "back alley" cleaning my injectors (carb clean, attachment made of various hoses, 9 volt battery) and getting another year out of them and smoothing out some quirks. You have new ones coming so scratch that.

I apologize if this is redundant or this stuff has been said before/checked, it was a lot to take in reading through quickly. However, I do suspect the new injectors will make some difference here. Fingers crossed buddy!

KogonDodge #770367 January 29th 2021 1:01 pm
OP Offline
I take your point about the fuel system. I have been through it and the delivery seems OK, i had a fuel pressure gauge on there and it all aligned with the figures it should be, but you remind me that maybe a new fuel filter is a good idea- on order.

I replaced that sock. The whole tank was amazingly clean, there was literally nothing to clean out of it, other than a few specs here and there. As I had gone to all the trouble of dropping the tank, I replaced both the pump and filter. I think this picture is the old one

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KogonDodge; January 29th 2021 1:08 pm.

1988 B250 Conversion Van
KogonDodge #770377 January 29th 2021 3:01 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Noticing any difference in spray pattern or rhythm of the 2 injectors screams:
BINGO

I have two different brand injectors, of different designphysical appearance, and spray pattern and rhythm is identical

KogonDodge #770474 January 30th 2021 8:13 pm
OP Offline
Ok, the injectors I ordered are on the way.

In the meantime, even though I probably don't need a computer, I did fancy a browse around the local pick a part which had a 90 B250 and a 92 B350 in stock. I got a computer and a fuse box, and also grabbed all 4 fuel injectors from those 2 vans - pictured. The 92 had odd injectors, the other 3 all look the same.

My existing ones are like the blue topped one, smaller and stamped "mini injector" but neither of the two types seem to work in my van. From the moment the key goes to position 2 they just spray fuel big time, gushing.

So does anyone know if these injectors are very specific types and not very interchangeable?

I put my old one back, and yet again, because I had messed with it, the engine ran fine. But this time, it ran fine for about a minute and then went back to its old ways.

So, fine, I'll wait for my new ones to arrive on Monday. Except now I'm worried they won't be the right thing and will gush fuel like the two used ones I tried.
What I ordered is a Standard Motor Products TJ22. According to rock auto that is the right thing for a 1990 (the one at pickapart) as well as a 1988 (mine) - if fitted with 5.2l (which mine is)

it is possible that the engine on the '90 B250 was a 5.9l. It did look the same as mine, but I wasn't looking that hard. Do they look more or less the same?

If it was, then the injector is different, according to Rockauto a 1990 5.9l takes a Standard Motor Products TJ37

The 1992 B350 (the other van I got injectors from at pickapart) takes a TJ37 in the 5.9L. The 5.2l takes a different style (one in each cylinder/fuel rail) so it must have been a 5.9L

So, my questions, to summarize, are!
-do the 5.9 and the 5.2 look more or less the same to the untrained eye (me)
-will the different fuel injectors between the 5.2 and 5.9 be incompatible and explain the lack of success I had with the used iones I got and reassure me the ones I ordered are probably right?

1988 B250 Conversion Van
KogonDodge #770493 January 30th 2021 9:33 pm
OP Offline
I think I've answered my own question.
According to a website I found, the little blue one and my original "bosch mini injector" are compatible. Still not sure about the other 3.

The "gushing" is if it is not connected up properly. I found gushing on several occasions, even with my original, when changing these in and out. I guess the voltage closes it, and no voltage =open.

After a bit of twsting injectors around, I now have the blue one in the car and for the minute I ran it, it was fine. I'm going for a spin after dinner. I expect it to run like a champ!

1988 B250 Conversion Van
KogonDodge #770522 January 31st 2021 1:06 am
OP Offline
Test run - success with the used injector. No hesitation. No stalling. No jerlking on freeway. Changes gear smoothly and feels "proper" yay

1988 B250 Conversion Van
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members