So HAPPY THANKSGIVING...I spent yesterday and today doing a bunch more.....both sides now shaped where I want them and 'glassed over. I splined three coats of filler on the left-hand side and have it real close to being where I am content. The right-hand is a bit behind....and as I wander around this beast I see more and more how it is asymmetric. The CUBBY and tray are symmetrical, but the fairing into the surrounding areas is anything but. That is obviously the process of making more room for the driver and footwell. Regardless, I have solved the hinge problem (I think). The piano hinge I bought is too wide and will miss the flat shelf on the bottom of the cubby if I try to use it. My solution is to use small jewel box hinges, screwed to wood blocks I will epoxy to the back of the door. They should work well and mount to the flat shelf on the top of the cubby. I will need to trim the top of the door, and then go about figuring out the latch strike and door stop. Just for S&Gs I connected the halo rings to see how things will pan out as this is finalized.....I'm also blending in the cupholder with the rest of the recess on the top, filling in the corners with a template to mimic the surrounding factory shape.
Last edited by Leakbox; November 28th 2020 1:00 am.
I think the word was "RIGHTEOUS".....Thanks Mickey. I need to get on this site on a NON-work computer so I can actually see pics of your new baby. This one blocks pretty much everything. When are you coming up this way? It would be cool to say hi.
Well it was pretty much non-stop for four straight days off, but it's ready for wrapping. I snuck up on a latch mount by bonding more expanded PVC sheet together, then cutting it up to dimensions I had roughed out. Once I got it located where I wanted it, I removed the plasti coat from the underside of the drink shelf, double stick taped it in place, then drilled some locating pin holes through the LED ring recess land. After shooting it with a coat of flat black, it was epoxied in place. I finished up numerous more skim coats of body filler and sanding, then masked off the needed areas before priming the worked area. That may not have been needed, but I think it will be good for vinyl adhesion and also allowed me to see if any areas needed concern. The last things I need to do is figure out what length of bumpers I will need to mount that will provide the needed "back pressure" that will align the door with the outer contour after latching and also prevent any rattling, and also get and affix a thin cable that will act as a door stop to prevent it from over rotating when opened. The thing has an R2D2 feel to it....I half expected it to beep and squeal and take off down the driveway....
Last edited by Leakbox; November 30th 2020 1:27 pm.