1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A dissertation on G-Series 2WD Lift Kits (Front Only)
#764257 July 31st 2020 9:49 pm
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So I, much like many others around Google and various forums, have been wondering what it would take to get a G-Series van lifted if it's 2WD. After searching on the topic itself repeatedly and only coming up with conflicting information and dead ends, I decided to start from square one and basically mold my own idea together.

The information I have/found:

The G-Series vans and the square body trucks (from what I've taken from Google) are very similar when it comes to their frames and suspension. It seems when '88 came along, the G's didn't get the frame update that the GMT400 trucks did (at least until after '96).

It seems at one point a few years back, some owners were finding success in using lift spindles for a 2WD C10 (square body) on their vehicles however I was unable to verify with any pictures or solid evidence. It also appears that lift spindles for the 73-87 trucks are non-existent as of today. Most likely no one manufactures them anymore.

I came across a few threads on here about it, the most intriguing one was a thread where someone claimed to know someone who used the G30 upper control arms on a G10/G20 and then installed 88-91 Single Cab lift spindles on that. However later in the thread, it seems as if more fabrication was required for that lift to see fruition. Fabrication skills that I don't possess. I went ahead and discarded this idea due to that reasoning, along with the fact that I'm not sure I could trust driving across the country with a strangely fabricated control arm (especially since the spindle wouldn't be compatible with the replacement unless said part was machined for it).

But due to this hesitation, I'm also a little deterred from finding a set of GMT400 spindles and having them re-machined for the G-Series as well (which appears to have been discussed a few times). Same scenario, I'd hate to be stuck somewhere far away from home basically counting on a delivery of either a spindle or control arm to modify, especially during the Covid stuff going on.

The Idea:

So after cross referencing some part numbers, I've found that both the square body trucks and the G-Series van share the same OEM coil spring part number. ACDelco part number 45H0075 and 45H0076 (HD variant). That's just ACDelco though. But it appears that Moog and Husky have the same part number for both applications as well (cross referenced using a 1979 C10 and compared it with a 1994 G10).

Since the lift spindles are out of the question, and the part numbers match up it would be safe to assume that a lifted coil spring manufactured for a 73-87 C10 should work with the G-Series given the compatibility of OEM springs between the two.

The shocks are a different story, but I think I have a work-around. Especially for folks with smaller engines from 4.3L to 5.7L. The shocks from a C10/K10 won't work in the front, but it appears that shocks for the 454 G30 would fit the G10 and G20. This may be a strange setup but one that could pair with the lifted coil spring as well. Bonus points if you can find a "heavy duty" or adjustable shock for the front as well.

Does this seem like a reasonable experiment? I can't imagine it would go too terribly wrong. But then again, I'm also uneducated in the details like spring rates and the like.

Please feel free to comment about any experience you have with lifting a G-Series 2WD van, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Re: A dissertation on G-Series 2WD Lift Kits (Front Only)
BigChillVanlife #764258 August 01st 2020 12:05 am
A G30 454 spring pak on a G10 or G20 without the weight to crush the coil will be a VERY stiff ride... might want to buy a kidney belt with those coils ....

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
BigChillVanlife #764274 August 01st 2020 9:21 pm
J
addict
addict
J
Come's with disclaimer, one whiskey in! The pit falls of trying to lift my 89 g30, most will apply to you. Heed frske1's warning avoid G30 springs at all cost! Unless you are switching to BB! Your best bet is the late model spindle, many have done this even on here. You will need to ream the lower BJ hole in late spindle to fit your BJ. You live in Texas, you must have some roundy round friends. They will have the ream.The late BJ fits but the Bj cup is smaller and does not provide a tight fit in the lower arm! The late model upper ball BJ will fit your stock upper arm (same bolt pattern), study ball "joint flip" (mounted underneath instead of up top = more travel). Now you have 3.5 to 4"'s depending on what the lift spindle claims. Back to the springs, you want to use a spring that has the same spring rate as yours, you just want a taller spring. This requires a long winded explanation I don't want to get into right now as it is keeping me from a safety meeting. If you are feeling brave go 1" taller than stock same rate.(abought 2 inches) Look up fmecat, it will give you a new site but look up your make model, Moog. If you you look up the specs it will give you free spring height and rate (#'s). There are many after market springs in the popular 5" spring category, pick spring rate plus extra height. The next problem is the upper control arm with the bigger spring. The problem is the upper control bump rubber will limit lift (travel). I you remove or trim the bump the upper arm will rub the crossmember. Use a aftermarket arm that is wider and will clear. I am using CCP's arm on my G30 (I don't understand why I have not snapped them yet?) Back to the late model spindle, I have seen that the tie rods and the sway bar rub. One guy ran the outer tie rod under the steering arm to clear. Back to your roundy round friends, don't know if this is right for you, study "bump steer" Drill the steering arm for a bolt and switch to rod ends, use spacers to adjust bump. The worst part of this is the shock, the compressed and extended length is rare and does not fall within what is available form the aftermarket, extenders or relocate the upper mount. Hope this helps!

jcd74 #764389 August 04th 2020 9:59 am
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for all your info on this guys, I've been working with the fellas over at the Facebook page and we think we figured out the best plan of action for lifting the front that won't involve much alteration to any of the parts. Basically, this is what we have:

88-98 C1500 Lift Spindles
88-98 C1500 5 lug rotors and calipers (either 88-91 Std. Cab or 88-98 All should work)
88-98 Extended brake lines
88-98 Outer Tie Rods (shares the same thread diameter as the G20 T.R. so it should fit)
1994 G30 Lower Control Arms (we decided to use this due to a thread about guys fitting this with success with their C10's on the bottom with little to no issue)

This is just the front alone. I'm still tinkering with the idea of lifting the rear. So far it seems it'll either be just a full on 4" lift block or a hybrid of AAL and blocks. I'd love to have a shackle flip from ORD but I'm unsure of the compatibility between them and our vans.

BigChillVanlife #764392 August 04th 2020 2:56 pm
Good luck with that ... the G30 LCA's need to be machined I believe I read on here that a guy tried this and in the end it didnt work cause of something with the LCA pin .... the rest of the parts sound right .... going from a van to a truck is different then going from a truck to a van .... cause of what it bolts up to ... hope you have a machine shop close by. Ya also have to watch how much of the spline at the tranny comes out, go too high you will need to have a new driveshaft made, just a little longer.

Im not in favor of putting C10 parts on a G20 van, the parts were not designed for the extra weight of a van.

again hope it works for you ...

This guy went a different route and got 31's under it ...

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/731934/1.html

Originally Posted by BigChillVanlife
Bonus points if you can find a "heavy duty" or adjustable shock for the front as well.

Heavy duty shocks on this will feel like your riding on rocks cause you dont have the weight to take advantage of them.

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
BigChillVanlife #764601 August 09th 2020 5:38 pm
R
stranger
stranger
R
Following closely..... I put coil spacers up front on my van, and the upper control arm bottoms (or tops?) out on the frame at the slightest bump. Additionally, the wheel camber isn't really right either. I'd love to re-do the entire front suspension, with the right parts.

My thread for those interested in what I did to create a terrible riding van.
https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/705541/1.html

BigChillVanlife #766881 October 26th 2020 7:58 pm
stranger
stranger
So ive got a 90 G30. Was looking into the spindle lifts. I like what frscke1 says about not taking a 1 ton van down to a c1500 part. Ive searched but everyone is focusing on the c1500 singlecab parts. Does a c3500 part do the same? Currently in a 3rd world covid quarantine but will have a small window where im at my dads in MS with a decent shop before i drive back to Bend,OR. Would like to get my ducks in a or atleast all in the same pond

Last edited by HeliGuy93; October 26th 2020 7:59 pm.
BigChillVanlife #766886 October 26th 2020 10:28 pm
There is only a 1" block under my leaf springs up ft ... they ( govt) welded a 2" bar across the ft and lenghtin the shackles thats all they did to lift it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

heavy duty truck parts for a heavy duty van .... not light truck parts for a $X$

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
BigChillVanlife #766887 October 26th 2020 10:57 pm
stranger
stranger
That is one seriously beautiful van! Id love to convert mine to 4X4 but i have other more “responsible” financial priorites right now. Why i got all excited when i started reading about the relativly vheap spindles. But i dont want to buy the 4” kit for the c3500 till i hear if it could work

BigChillVanlife #766965 October 28th 2020 7:57 pm
I dont think they made C30 lift spindles .. the G30 wheel well openings are longer then a trucks opening and those are real tall ... thats why they fill them up with a few shocks and oil reservoir's .... trucks have to lift it 6" to get big tires under them. Im only 3" with 35"s and as it sits I have 5" of travel before the tires bottom out.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
BigChillVanlife #766982 October 28th 2020 11:21 pm
stranger
stranger
A website called spindle source has a lift for 87-99 c3500 trucks that’s a spindle and lift block. But I’m not sure how it goes with a van.

BigChillVanlife #766985 October 29th 2020 3:10 am
stranger
stranger
https://spindle-source.com/lifting-...-gmc-2wd-trucks/88-99-c2500-c3500-8-lug/
Here is a link to the c3500 lift kits for any curious G30 guys. I’m getting out of quarantine tomorrow and headed back to the states. I’m going to try and scour the internet and see what I can find out about van front ends compared to 2wd 1 ton trucks.

BigChillVanlife #766990 October 29th 2020 8:14 am
stranger
stranger
Okay guys, sad news. I really wanted to do the lift spindles, but I called around to some auto parts stores. I had them pull the 2 ball joints for the pickup and the van, the lower ball joint for the van has a thicker stud, we knew this. And they said the stud length was about 1.5 inch with the top inch threaded. They said the pickup BAll joint has 1 inch threaded too, but is 2.75 inch total. I’m afraid Vans ball joint might not be long enough to secure in the trucks lift spindle

BigChillVanlife #768733 December 19th 2020 12:30 pm
M
stranger
stranger
M
Just joined vanning. I have a 89 g30 1 ton 2wd that I’m looking to do a 4” lift on. Have you had any luck finding any parts that would work. I’m also like you been looking for 4 “ lift spindles, no luck on my end. Keep me inform on your progress. Good luck.

HeliGuy93 #769144 December 29th 2020 9:09 pm
M
stranger
stranger
M
I was told from spindle source that the C3500 spindle lift would not work.
the C 30 would work but, they have not made any yet. So I’m still looking. I guess I will be putting on 4” over stock coil springs/ shocks for the front and get 4” longer leaf springs/shocks to get my 4” lift that I need. If anybody runs across 4” lift spindles give me a holler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users