Interest revitalized `79 Chevy G10
#764114 July 28th 2020 9:09 am
M
Matman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Well I haven`t been near the old girl for a while, Recently I`ve done a full service and replaced the diff on my wife's BMW E87 120i and replaced the fuel pump in my VE Commodore Sportwagon, thought that was going to be a nightmare job but actually wasn`t, but that's another story for another place..
Anyway all that spanner work got me to thinking, had the van over three years now, my healths improved, its winter now so the days are warm and not oppressive, also with the covid thing lockdown putting a halt earning a living maybe its time to get to work.
In the last ten days or so I have removed the radiator and the Fan, fitted two Davies Craig fans with digital temp control, removed the Huge York a/c compressor (the hoses were all disconnected when I bought the van) in order to get access to the vacuum hoses etc. I`ll replace the a/c unit and have it re-activated once the vans back on the road.
A while back I fitted pwr window and cent locking, but never got around to the wiring, now that's done I`m really pleased at the turnout especially as my Cuz in NJ had given me a heap of bits n pieces off his old Chevy van he was wrecking to bring home to Oz.. In there was the OEM pwr window GM switches which really make my job look factory. The central locking is now wired up and operates remotely. - bit of a pain cutting the holes in the door panels but the end result is well worth it.
The indicators took a little while - here in Oz the red stop / flasher system is not allowed so separate amber indicators must be fitted. I did this by fitting an additional bulb holder in the reverse lamp space and painting the bulb amber, once wired up with the original red flasher disconnected it works a treat.
I have now decided to renew all the door cards / panels and have them recovered in a cloth same as the seats instead of vinyl - I`m using 4mm fiberboard - MDF? - instead of the marine ply as the ply seems to break up very quickly.
Tomorrow the dash instrument cluster will be finished off, - led bulbs - the interior and courtesy light systems as well, the tv/dvd will be fitted, and hopefully a start on the template for the o/head console.(anyone have any pix of their diy o/head console?)
Today I finished fitting the new pioneers speakers in the trim at the rear corners, I have a couple of nice pioneers to install in the doors, it had El cheapos there before.
nite all.

Re: Interest revitalized `79 Chevy G10
Matman #764132 July 28th 2020 9:11 pm
Old Timer
Old Timer
Love to see some pics

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
2020 Chevy van Sapphire Sweet.
Club Vannerz.