1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My head is about to explode from trying to figure this all out!
Ceejus #762934 June 28th 2020 8:03 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
if you get the Lifeline GPL31-XT you will have 125 amp hours of capacity vs 100 for the group 27.
The 31T(105ah) or XT 125AH, is not all that much bigger than the 27.
A GPL-30HT is 150 amp hours and is taller. The more capacity you have the lesser the depth of discharge for the same energy consumed, and the happier the battery

Lifeline is top dog AGM, Make sure it can get at least 20 amps and preferable 40 when depleted to the 50% range.
Lesser $$ AGMS are good if one can't really meet the charging requirements

The Main cable from battery + to distribution block/fuse block/buss stud, should be fused, but Some will argue as long as it is heavy gauge wire/cable with solid wire terminaltions, and the total amps it is asked to pass never come close to its maximum ampacity, it can't possibly chafe on anything and short to ground, then the fuse is not needed. IE, Few cars that I know of have a fuse in the cable to the starter motor......

Generally the Fuse is to protect the wire, not the devices being powered on it.
Some people deliberately underfuse, and this is not really safer, and can lead to nuisance fuse blowing.

The fuse itself adds resistance, and nuisance blows might be difficult on whatever was asking for power when the fuse blows.

Wire Ampacity charts are helpful in figuring out which size fuse one needs to protect what gauge wire.

http://www.armstrongssupply.com/wire_chart.htm

AdSense long
Re: My head is about to explode from trying to figure this all out!
Ceejus #762945 June 28th 2020 9:25 pm
C
Ceejus Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Okay, cool. So if I use a 2ga. battery cable and want to fuse between the battery and the fuse block, I'll need a 95a fuse. I think that's how i read that chart, anyway. Lol! The abbreviations have me somewhat stumped. Let's say i only have a foot long length of 2ga battery cable from the + terminal of the battery to the fuse block, with zero chance of rubbing or shorting on anything. Would you bother putting a fuse in line there?

Also, what gauge of wire would you use for the battery + and - cables? I'm thinking i won't have more than a 2 foot run, per cable, maximum, to the fuse block.

Should i put the battery kill switch on the negative cable, to avoid another interference in the positive cable?

Should i run a fuse block like this one?
https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-S...amp;refRID=KREK2TNKZMVH2T1EZBA8&th=1

Sorry I'm so full of questions again.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members