Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Safety Sally Time
#762869 June 27th 2020 1:50 am
kursed Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I hate to be "that guy" that harps on folks about being safe all the time. I was volun-told I had to be on the safety team at my last job and I absolutely despised it. At the end of the day, if someone wants to do their job in an unsafe manner, they're going to do it unsafe regardless of who tells them it's wrong.

One thing I did take away from that little safety team meeting crap though was something a close friend of mine brought up one day. I can't remember the exact percentage, but he said something to the extent of 99% of safety accidents at work could have been prevented if we would just listen to that little voice in our heads that is telling us "hey man, this is not the safest way to do this"...

Yeah, when he said that it struck a nerve with me. It did, because I immediately knew I had been guilty of doing that a million times over and I had scars to prove it. Like the time I was playing with a stupid knife and dropped it pointy end first onto my leg which was promptly followed by about 11 stitches. Or the time I was cutting toward myself with a hook knife carving a wooden spoon and cut my left index finger to the bone right in front if my kids, also followed by a healthy dose of stitches...

So why is it that I just can't seem to learn from those mistakes. I inherited a house that was in HORRIBLE condition when my father passed away a few years ago. We have worked on it a little here and there over the past couple years, but weren't really in a good position to knock a bunch of work out until this year. We've had the entire roof on the house and garage replaced thanks to a friend that was a roofer and also wanted my 1968 K10. We've had the plumbing from the house to the septic tank replaced thanks to a very generous contractor that gave us a break on the labor big time. Other than that, between myself, my wife, my 14 and 15 year old daughters, and my 8 year old son, we have done all the flooring, drywall, paint, electrical, and plumbing ourselves. We've been seriously knocking some major work out at this place over the past 6 months or so.

I have gone out of my way to teach the kids how to do things correctly and how to do it the safest way possible. My girls have replaced two rooms worth of outlets by themselves and wired in a completely new switch for their mom's ceiling fan all by themselves. They used the test lights, and double checked the breakers every time. Yet I forget to check the breaker one time and of course that's the time I grab the 240v wires and start cursing like a sailor... Only to have my girls tell me "Dad! You didn't double check the breaker did you?!" DOH!

So last week, I think it was Friday, I was FINALLY tying up the major back bathroom redo. We turned a half bath with rotten subfloors into a full bath by replacing the subfloors, moving some plumbing and electrical wiring around, adding a corner shower and a corner pedestal sink, etc etc. So I was in and out of the crawlspace a few times, near the end of the day, the last thing I had to do was hook the shower drain to some new PVC pipe and a p-trap to tie into our existing waste line. I had to cut a little of the plywood subfloor out to get a good fit with the new drain pipe. Only I forgot my safety glasses this time and decided against my little voice's "NO" reaction to just go ahead and cut since it was only a tiny bit and it wouldn't take but a second.

So I learned the hard way that apparently plywood has some nasty a$$ chemicals in it that your eyes really don't deal with very well. It started bothering me a little Friday evening and by Saturday morning it was swollen so bad I could barely open it. It finally flushed itself out late Sunday night and on Monday I went to the doc and he hooked me up with some salve which has helped too. But I'm just now getting back to normal and the swelling has almost gone all the way down.

So what should have been a quick crawl back out to grab my safety glasses, turned into not being able to do much of anything for a whole week because I ignored that darn voice that told me I was about to screw up. I'm just thankful it didn't do any permanent damage to my cornea or anything. I know this was a long read guys, but man oh man it was a real wake up call to me. I'm 41 and have narrowly escaped several accidents that could have put me in a LOT worse shape than they did only by sheer luck. Listen to the voice that tells you to go back and get your PPE and don't risk it.

Here are a couple pics of the bathroom before and after, and the stupid swollen eye that makes me cringe just thinking about the burning for a couple days.

Attached Files
Last edited by kursed; June 27th 2020 1:52 am.

[Linked Image]
Re: Safety Sally Time
kursed #762887 June 27th 2020 8:44 am
W
old hand
old hand
W
Glad you're OK.
Electrical shock will ruin you day as well.

St. Regis Hotel, Laguna Beach, My favorite Safety Inspector carried a pair of Snips. Any normal 3 prong extension cord on that job would promptly have the ends cut off, upon discovery, after being told once. Hard Hats and Hubbel Titslock Connectors. Period. "Cut that cord!"

kursed #762890 June 27th 2020 8:56 am
Old Timer
Old Timer
Glad to hear your OK!

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
Wrangler go cart Van
vanninvanner@comcast.net
Vannerz
77 chevy Prohecy rebuild
2020 chevy Sapphire Suite
kursed #762908 June 28th 2020 12:52 am
stranger
stranger
Sorry to hear about that eye, that really sucks. I too am prone to ignoring the safety voice in my head, so this is a good reminder. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, bathroom looks great cheers

Last edited by peetmoloko; June 28th 2020 12:53 am.
kursed #762913 June 28th 2020 2:21 am
Rust N Dents
Rust N Dents
I agree, the bathroom looks really nice.

When you started talking safety, I figured you'd gotten injured, but I knew you didn't hurt a hand by the length of the story. smile

Glad you're ok, man.
It could have been a lot worse.

[Linked Image]
Rusty_Pancelode #762957 June 29th 2020 9:31 am
kursed Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Wedgy
St. Regis Hotel, Laguna Beach, My favorite Safety Inspector carried a pair of Snips. Any normal 3 prong extension cord on that job would promptly have the ends cut off, upon discovery, after being told once. Hard Hats and Hubbel Titslock Connectors. Period. "Cut that cord!"

I had a maintenance manager at my last job that would do that as well. Funny seeing the reaction from people when they tried to get nasty with him about "ruining" their cord, how were they going to get the job done without the cord now. He'd bring them a new cord and an old burnt to heck outlet and tell show them what was possible with the missing ground prong. Then they'd usually thank him because they had no idea that's what the ground did.

Originally Posted by peetmoloko
I too am prone to ignoring the safety voice in my head, so this is a good reminder. Thanks for sharing.

I'm about 75% safe if I had to guess. I do wear ear and eye protection as well as gloves most of the times I'm working on things, but I am VERY prone to ignoring those things if I'm down to the wire on a task and feel like I can just get it done quickly and safely. That's when it usually bites me in the ass. Quick and safe are at two different ends of the spectrum, and somehow I still haven't managed to figure that part out. I mean sure I can sit here and preach all the safety stuff, but in practice I continually find myself ignoring it. Hopefully this little wake up call helps me a lot.

Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
When you started talking safety, I figured you'd gotten injured, but I knew you didn't hurt a hand by the length of the story. smile

lol bow I find myself being long winded at the keyboard very often. In person I'm not really that long winded and I sound like a total hillbilly. Your comment had me cracking up btw.

Thank you guys for the compliments on the bathroom. I am so proud of it, only because I'm definitely not a "home renovation" expert by any stretch of the imagination. I am an artist, and a tinkerer, always having to work on something or I'll go completely mad. But what I'm most proud of is that the whole thing was a huge family effort. I'll start a new thread when I'm done and show you all what we've done to this whole house. But just for example with this bathroom. My 14 and 15 year old daughters and I tore out the old vanity and sink, toilet, lights, and carpet. My 8 year old son tore our ALL of the old underlayment in the flooring by himself with a pry bar and hammer. I knocked out the new ceiling light with a vent and the new plumbing (all new water supply for the shower and the sink which was moved to the opposite end). Then my daughters and I tackled the horrible drywall and paint. Then my wife did the new flooring which is adhesive vinyl tile that is groutable so it looks more like real tile. I installed the sink, new toilet, and the corner unit shower with the help of my 15 year old daughter. It's been a long process this house, but it already feels more like home to me, simply because we ALL have had a hand in completely redoing it.

Hopefully this little wake up call in the safety department will keep me on track and safe while we finish things up.

[Linked Image]
kursed #762963 June 29th 2020 1:39 pm
addict
addict
Holy hell! I am glad to hear you're ok. My eyes are magnets for everything to get into them. Just 3 weeks ago I got a piece of metal stuck in my eye while working on the van. Same thing, it was a 30 second trip to get my safety glasses but instead it was a $300 hospital bill with meds and a whole week of annoyance. Now I always wear them.

You hear the thunder of stampeding rhinos, elephants and tacky tigers
This town ain't big enough for the both of us
And it ain't me who's gonna leave
kursed #762971 June 29th 2020 6:59 pm
old hand
old hand
oh man! heal up soon. Eye stuff is the worst, especially when its something so minor and then causes a major problem. Bathroom looks great though!

1979 Dodge B200 Shorty, 1987 B250 Longy
kursed #762972 June 29th 2020 6:59 pm
old hand
old hand
Never forget in 2009 getting under a G20 conversion to do a shake down on the front end only to find out it had been partially disassembled by customer and the power steering pump dropped out ripping my cornea and detaching my retina in my right eye..the safety glasses helped but the pump was missing the pulley and I got the shaft right in the eye.. they called me wink for 2 years.🤣

When in doubt..get the sawzall out..
kursed #762982 June 29th 2020 10:39 pm
Rust N Dents
Rust N Dents
Originally Posted by kursed

lol bow I find myself being long winded at the keyboard very often. In person I'm not really that long winded and I sound like a total hillbilly. Your comment had me cracking up btw.

I'm long winded at the keyboard... and I'm long winded in person, too.
lol

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Patekakes, CryptoChevy, CowboyVan, Chad_Odell, Hotdog53