94 Chevy G20 parts/questions
#759107 April 13th 2020 5:44 pm
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Greetings,

I posted a thread earlier about buying a 94 GMC G20 conversion van. I'm going to go pick it up later this week. It needs a few things, and I had a few questions.

Firstly, it needs an AC compressor. The guy I'm buying it from says he's already replaced it twice before and also replaced the entire AC system, and I'm wondering if I could replace it with a better unit, something like OEM and not the cheap $150 refurbished model? I've looked online, and there doesn't seem to be much variety as far as choosing a higher quality part. I've noticed a few different part numbers, but don't know which one is better.

Second, the drivers side vent window has been "sealed" shut. I'm not sure if I can take a razor blade and unseal it, or just replace it. Again, I've looked online, but I'm not sure if I can just order the whole assembly. Also, a lot of the window/door seals need replaced, any leads as far as a good company to order those from? Also, a cabin air filter?

And finally, the van needs an oil change, any recommendations as far as oil goes? I'm assuming a decent synthetic 10W-30 with a quality filter will do, it's the 350 with high mileage. I'm also open to any other suggested maintenance, not sure if it would be a waste to do fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc. It runs great, starts instantly. But I'm not familiar with the common failure points of this van. Also, I've read that the brake pedal lockout relay can be a problem and cause the van to not start, would you guys suggest disabling that?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Re: 94 Chevy G20 parts/questions
Killawattz #759114 April 13th 2020 7:08 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
As far as the A/C goes...
I can't imagine why he's had so many issues with the A/C.
Maybe they kept replacing the compressors without properly cleaning the trash out of the system?
That can cause repetitive compressor failures.
My van had just had the A/C repaired (don't know what the problem had been) when I bought it in 2013, and the only issue it's had since then is a failed schrader valve on the low side adapter fitting.
So, I don't really know how reliable those compressors are, but I've been doing ok with mine.

On the vent window...
It's sealed shut?
How?
Like with RTV or something?
Does the handle seem to be functional?
I don't know about any new replacements, a used one from a donor van is probably what's easiest if you decide to replace it.

I don't really know about the window and door seals.
I do know that there are some window scrapers available on ebay, but I don't know anything about their quality.

Do our vans have cabin air filters?

And as for the oil...
You could make an encyclopedia sized book about oil and everybody would still disagree. LOL
I run what the manual recommends in mine, but it just turned over 70K.
I'd probably run the same thing in the high mileage version if I had your van.
I've got a '94 F-150 with 220,000 miles, and it does just fine on high mileage Quaker State dino oil.
If you want to run synthetic, then enjoy, but I don't really think it's necessary in our older engines with higher clearances.
I've always just run whatever the manual recommended and have never had a major engine failure on any of my 60 or so cars I've had over the years.
I think it's a topic that's WAY over thought, so play that game at what ever level lets you sleep well at night. LOL

I wouldn't change any ignition parts or anything if you're not having any issues.
The fuel filter is always a good part to change, as are the other filters.

I wasn't aware of the brake pedal lock-out issue, so I don't know about that either.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
Killawattz #759145 April 14th 2020 9:35 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Metro Molded Products makes all the door rubbers and front window scrapers/felt channels. New vent (wing) window gaskets are not available. The ones on my 93 leak so I'm going to seal them up with black RTV. I found two NOS wing window gaskets, but they're as dried up as the ones on my van now! lol!

Rock Auto is a good source for parts. I use them a lot. www.rockauto.com

Nate Breece
Killawattz #759152 April 14th 2020 1:03 pm
S
old hand
old hand
S
What Rusty and NateB said! Same guidance from me from another guy with a '93 G20...

NateB #759261 April 17th 2020 1:39 am
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by NateB
Metro Molded Products makes all the door rubbers and front window scrapers/felt channels. New vent (wing) window gaskets are not available. The ones on my 93 leak so I'm going to seal them up with black RTV. I found two NOS wing window gaskets, but they're as dried up as the ones on my van now! lol!

Rock Auto is a good source for parts. I use them a lot. www.rockauto.com

Perhaps this is why he sealed that one up in the first place. Thank you all for the information!

Killawattz #764575 August 09th 2020 12:14 am
V
stranger
stranger
V
i just got my '94 G20 w/ 43k miles on it, fleet maintained at fort hood in TX, all the door seals were shot so i bought all new seals and those sweeps doe the front driver and passenger side doors off random websites, couldnt find anything for the little triangle vent windows so i might just seal them up or whatnot, kind of dreading dealing with that because i wanna hit the road in this thing and not have to worry about the thing leaking in the rain, I want it to look nice tho so i dunno...

KEEP IT UPRIGHT! 2% FOREVER

'94 chevy g20

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530