Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rear Lift options - 1990 Dodge B250 Roadtrek
fishbone #758522 March 29th 2020 3:06 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
My 7272 springs got only the rubber cap atop the spring and while the old springs bottomed out regularly, the new springs surprisingly did not add any ride height to passenger side and only 1/4 to 1/2 inch driver's side but rarely bottom out and greatly improved handling.

I use KYB KG4518, the stock sized rear shock. When one cuts the zip tie keeping them compressed, one better be quick and align them to the receptacle or they will go several inches below them and require compression with way more arm strength than I can muster on my back under the van.

With Airbags one needs to keep at least 10 PSI in them according to firestone and AirRide. I thought mine said 5psi minimum, and they might have back in 2007, but now I see 10psi

One is also not supposed to hang the weight of the rear axle from the airbags. The shocks might act as travel limiters if the leafs themselves do not.

I added a cut up Pizza tray to the exhaust heatshield on the drivers side airbag, and my exhaust needed to be cut and opened up about 1/2 inch in order to not hit the heatshield. I bridged the gap with a steel hunts pasta sauce can and hose clamps, intending to repair it correctly at some point. 'Correctly' has not occurred in the subsequent 13 years, I just replace the steel can every 2 years or so.

The push to connect airline fittings provided with these kits need a little bit more love than they mke them out to be, When one inserts the square cut tubing into them to their full depth, one needs to pull back on teh hose and the little sliding collar, rather than just relying on PSI to seal them. I recall ordering aftermarket PTC fittings and more airhose, and I do have the schrader valves on the inside.
--------

Absorption/Propane fridges are finicky if operated off level, but it is not just a matter of them not working properly if operated off level, but this off level operation is cumulatively damaging to them as crystals can form in the refrigerant's plumbing, blocking flow, and they cannot be removed.

I use a 12vDC Vitrifrigo Compressor fridge and it is fine with angles off level upto 30 degrees. when your absorption fridge fails, the Danfoss/secop compressor dc fridges are $$, but similar to a new absorption fridge. Residential fridges on an inverter are an option too, but in general one needs more battery and charging sources than one does for a DC compressor fridge.

Absorption fridge quality seems to have taken a steep nosedive in the early to mid 90's, being built much sturdier before this. NO reason to get rid of a functioning Absorption fridge but do put some thought into what route you'd want to take if/when it takes a dump on you.

wrcsixeight #758805 April 05th 2020 12:30 am
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
My 7272 springs got only the rubber cap atop the spring and while the old springs bottomed out regularly, the new springs surprisingly did not add any ride height to passenger side and only 1/4 to 1/2 inch driver's side but rarely bottom out and greatly improved handling.

I use KYB KG4518, the stock sized rear shock. When one cuts the zip tie keeping them compressed, one better be quick and align them to the receptacle or they will go several inches below them and require compression with way more arm strength than I can muster on my back under the van.

With Airbags one needs to keep at least 10 PSI in them according to firestone and AirRide. I thought mine said 5psi minimum, and they might have back in 2007, but now I see 10psi

One is also not supposed to hang the weight of the rear axle from the airbags. The shocks might act as travel limiters if the leafs themselves do not.

I added a cut up Pizza tray to the exhaust heatshield on the drivers side airbag, and my exhaust needed to be cut and opened up about 1/2 inch in order to not hit the heatshield. I bridged the gap with a steel hunts pasta sauce can and hose clamps, intending to repair it correctly at some point. 'Correctly' has not occurred in the subsequent 13 years, I just replace the steel can every 2 years or so.

The push to connect airline fittings provided with these kits need a little bit more love than they mke them out to be, When one inserts the square cut tubing into them to their full depth, one needs to pull back on teh hose and the little sliding collar, rather than just relying on PSI to seal them. I recall ordering aftermarket PTC fittings and more airhose, and I do have the schrader valves on the inside.
--------

Absorption/Propane fridges are finicky if operated off level, but it is not just a matter of them not working properly if operated off level, but this off level operation is cumulatively damaging to them as crystals can form in the refrigerant's plumbing, blocking flow, and they cannot be removed.

I use a 12vDC Vitrifrigo Compressor fridge and it is fine with angles off level upto 30 degrees. when your absorption fridge fails, the Danfoss/secop compressor dc fridges are $$, but similar to a new absorption fridge. Residential fridges on an inverter are an option too, but in general one needs more battery and charging sources than one does for a DC compressor fridge.

Absorption fridge quality seems to have taken a steep nosedive in the early to mid 90's, being built much sturdier before this. NO reason to get rid of a functioning Absorption fridge but do put some thought into what route you'd want to take if/when it takes a dump on you.

Thanks for the details. This is good stuff. The Ranchos that I have on there now are the same length as your KYBs. Great hack for the heat shield.

I've been looking at Air Lift kits, they seem to be my best option online. Can I get away with just the air spring kit at first and get the dash controller and compressor kit installed later? It sounds like you can just add or remove pressure with the Schrader.

Here's a photo of what my van looks like now.Dodge RT before Rear Lift

fishbone #759166 April 14th 2020 10:26 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
I don't really know what is involved with installing an airbag PSI on the fly controller and what steps can be taken now for easier implementation of a controller at a later date.

I put my Schrader valves( same as the valves on tires) inside my van so i can change PSI from the back as I keep a capable air compressor nearby.

While an on the fly adjustment capability would be nice, I would not really use it all that much. In fact I've just been keeping my bags at 100PSi as I am driving so little lately, and with them pumped all the way up it moves around less when I move around inside, and helps shed rainwater better out of the gutters.

I looked for the firestone Kit I used, and see they do not even list B vans anymore on their site, where Airlift does, so whether they discontinued them for B vans or just ignore us, screw em, go with Airlift.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 16 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users