February 19th 2020 10:56 am
February 19th 2020 10:56 am
Pipe Creek Tx ( North of San A...
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
mlarky  Offline OP
enthusiast
Wish more of us lived closer to be more direct help on our collective projects. Besides I have a 30x40 garage to play in. Have everything but a lift. ( saving up for one..but you know how that goes). Would relish the camaraderie and seeing what our collective talents would produce. Always do when the couple of friends I have here come over to work on what we drive.

Lately my work schedule is what has been slowing me down. Health issues under control thankfully. Now we're seriously short handed at work, since one guy quit by not showing up for work, then 2 co-workers are taking their vacation time before they lose it, understandably. I work 5 days this week, Off today, and then off Sunday to hopefully get it running. Then back to working 6 days the next couple weeks... But, have today off. Making the time to work on my van even though I would love a day to just rest and veg. But, I NEED to get my rig back on the road. ( y'all know that feeling) I've only been working on this since early fall, and Spring Break is just around the corner.

I'm about 3/4 done. Today I'll be working on finishing hooking up wiring harness, the rest of the fluid lines and hoses, then tackle vacuum lines. That's where I will have some "fun" fixing 2 vacuum parts that broke ( old hard plastic lines). One at a 3 way junction going into connector that goes directly into a solenoid, with nothing to splice on one end. Gotta get creative on this fix, or make a run to Pick N Pull again. Resized drive shaft fits. Hoping to get it running next weekend at the latest. I miss driving my van, also everyone who knows me, even regular customers at the Auto Zone where I work, are constantly asking "Where's your van?" Makes me miss driving it all the more.

Taking lots of pics along the way. But having issues uploading to this site, and some difficulty with my Photobucket page. That's one area I wish the admin guys on this page could fix. Then we can all post pics like on our FB groups. Make it easier. Or maybe I am just on of those electronically challenged people..

AdSense long
Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon. [Re: mlarky] #757031
February 19th 2020 9:19 pm
February 19th 2020 9:19 pm
Wichita Falls, Texas
Starlord Offline
pooh-bah
Starlord  Offline
pooh-bah
Wichita Falls, Texas
Good luck with it. Hope everything works out and you get back on the road soon.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
Why is it that when I press 1 for English, I still can not understand the person on the other end????
Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon. [Re: mlarky] #757033
February 19th 2020 10:22 pm
February 19th 2020 10:22 pm
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
mlarky  Offline OP
enthusiast
Today's fun was mostly the vacuum line issues. At least I have the pics I took, the shop manual and diagrams to work with. 4 hard lines are broken so I have to get creative with the fixes. One already fixed with a short piece of tubing and some heat shrink. The other 3 come together on a connector ( obsolete part) so I will see what I can find at work to create a connector of sorts. G0ot as far as I could on that. Got the exhaust manifolds on, and now get to figure out the exhaust. But the donor van pieces might work, but I'll have to replace the muffler ( has holes) and shorten the pipe after by a few inches, make a temporary system for now. The donor van has 2 1/4 inch pipes, while my van had 3" for the V6. Weird. Was thinking I might just use the donor van pipes up to the muffler then 3" the rest of the way out. Test my theory about the larger out giving more rumble. Fewer mods that way. Just get out the sawzall and buy a couple of pipe unions and some clamps. Thinking a Turbo muffler for a little bit of rumble till I can save up for some proper duals. Trying to keep the final stuff on the cheap for now, just get it running. Have a supposed buyer for the rebuilt tranny from the V6. Another vanner with a V6 van that needs a tranny. Mine was rebuilt 60k ago. Just waiting to hear when she has the bucks together. Then decide if I get the duals or buy the materials to do the body work and paint. Really want to pull the running boards and run side pipes. But the wife said no, the running boards are the only way she can get in....lol. So I'm thinking duals out to in front of the rear wheel, at least sound like pipes.
I still can't find the ignition coil, frustrating. Coulda sworn I put it with the rest of the parts I pulled from the donor van..but I may just have to get a new one. Looked thru both vans...3 times, and my mess of a garage with no luck. ( with my luck I find it while cleaning up after it's done). Sunday the do the rest of the exhaust, compressor, alternator, power steering and smog pump will go on. Then finish the vacuum lines. Hoping the wiring harness from the firewall to the dash is the same on both vans, and the stuff in the engine compartment is all I need to change. Should be ready to fire it up next weekend if all goes well. Finally....only started in the engine swap in October...and this has been an 8 year rolling project... sound familiar? Maybe I can get to paint and interior to finish my van by the summer.

Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon. [Re: mlarky] #757660
March 08th 2020 9:58 pm
March 08th 2020 9:58 pm
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
mlarky  Offline OP
enthusiast
My 92 Dodge is officially on the road!!! Today I took a 100 mile shake down cruise. No leaks, and running strong. Have a few minor issues to deal with... Heat blowing out the dash vents, thing it's a vacuum issue. A bit hesitant on take off, maybe timing, and the Overdrive isn't kicking in, so get to chase down some electrical gremlins. Still haven't hooked up the A/C. Will be working on an "article" to detail the swap,and see how I can post on here so others read and get informed. It was definitely more work that I anticipated! Hardest swap I ever attempted, took 3 months worth of weekends to complete, and hit a fair share of snags along the way, but worth the results. I also need to thank my son, and my best bud Brian for their help. If anyone wants to swap in a V8 to replace their V6, I can offer advice, based on experience and the school of hard knocks.

Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon. [Re: mlarky] #757787
March 12th 2020 7:28 am
March 12th 2020 7:28 am
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
mlarky  Offline OP
enthusiast
...Aaaand now the water pump I should have replaced while the project was on going, decided to to go out on me. It looked OK, obvious it had been replaced already, tight on budget, thought I'd be OK. Turned into one of those woulda, coulda, shoulda but didn't do it situations, and bit me in the ass! The same week the water pump gives out, the tax refund shows up. So this Saturday I will fixing my bad decision. Had hoped I would be cleaning the Garage and helping my buddy Brian work on his vehicle in return for his help. So new water pump, $50. The labor involved 3 hours minimum. Hindsight and it's cousin Karma biting me in the ass...Priceless!

Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon. [Re: mlarky] #757797
March 12th 2020 10:27 am
March 12th 2020 10:27 am
Portland, OR
Deathorvictory Offline
old hand
Deathorvictory  Offline
old hand
Portland, OR
You’ve got this! Lots of work done, your hard work will soon pay off

1979 Dodge B200 Shorty, 1987 B250 Longy
Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon. [Re: mlarky] #757904
March 15th 2020 12:45 pm
March 15th 2020 12:45 pm
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
mlarky  Offline OP
enthusiast
Thanks to my son, I now have a used computer system in the garage to use for internet needs, saving me trips back and forth to the house for AllDataDIY.com and other stuff while working on the van. It's cool having everything right there. Thanks Adam! This came in REAL handy this weekend while fixing issues with the van. I have also recently discovered the donor van was built early enough in 92 to have been given some 91 parts. Figured that out when some parts I got didn't match for 92, but did for 91. Like the ignition coil for example.This has become a sticking point on more than one occasion. It became an issue again yesterday, as you will soon see.

My buddy Brain and I spent another loong day working on the van with big results. Got the timing issue figures out!! Now it runs like a van with some serious Cojones! ( For those who don't speak Spanish, That's pronounced "Ca-ho'-nays", and means guts or BALLS!). All week long, the 360 has been running worse than the tired V6 I pulled out. Sluggish, hesitation on take off, running like one cylinder wasn't hitting or 2 plug wires crossed, even popped back through the throttle body once on a hard acceleration. Gas mileage was REALLY bad! As in less than 6 mpg bad.... I fill up, and be at 1/2 a tank within 120 miles. And I have the 36 gallon tank! Had to be timing. New cap and rotor, triple check wires and firing order, OK everything as it should be. Still not running right. Corona Virus? Nah... We did find a vacuum leak, but that only cured the little whistling sound. What had we done wrong? OK, time to go back to the books... Then we figured out my mistake. Rereading the shop manual on AllDataDIY.com...I missed 2 critical steps. Once I got it up to running temp, now I proceed to missed step #1..put it in neutral, Not park. Move on to Step #2 unplug the temp sensor to the computer, NOW we set the timing at the recommended 10 BTDC. Instant results! Purring. Put it in park, Shut it off. Plug the temp sensor back in, nurse 1st degree burn on left hand. That part is hot! Now, it starts easily, and the 360 idles so smooth, no hesitation on take off, and yes I did light the up the back tires at least once with no problem. We're going up the road, the vans runs like I had hoped it would. It feels amazing! I was laughing like a kid in a hot rod! So was Brian. We were both smiling like Cheshire cats!

The coolant leak had stopped on it's own for now. So I held off on changing the water pump. In my experience, if it leaks and stays leaking, obviously you fix it. If it stops leaking leave it alone, and hope it's STAYS stopped.. I have the new water pump in the garage if it starts up again, just n case. We checked the coolant flow, and it seemed good, but with a chocolaty tint to it. Yeah...that's Not good. So we did a cooling flush, and now the engine is running cooler. Temp gauge stays low, under 1/3. Other stats are good...Oil pressure is good, 1/3 at idle, close to 3/4 when running down the road. I really need to get some live and numbered gauges...

Next issue, the vents have been blowing heat despite the heater and A/C settings, and the A/C didn't seem like it was a cold as it could be. But due to the winter season, hadn't given it much thought. But now that Winter is over down here in south central Texas. Heat out of the vents is really annoying when the daily temps are in the 80s and the AC hasn't been hooked back up yet. Anyway, After an hour of debating, coming up out of the box ideas and conspiracy theories, even once trying to bypass the heater hoses. The problem revealed itself. It turns out to be the heater box cable was binding, and the blend door wasn't closing all the way. Those cables have a couple of mounting points along the fire wall on to their intended destination. The intention is to NOT allow them the cable sheath to move, or to flex or bind as the wire inside moves in it's intended range of motion. It's old school, but works effectively when adjusted right. As it sat, It wasn't allowing full range, began sticking and hard to move after half way. I took the cable end off at the box and the 2 mounting points. I had Brian move the control from heat to ac and back. The problem became obvious. Then Brian was looking under the dash while operating the cable so he could figure how it worked under the dash. He said the grommet where the cable goes through the firewall wasn't in all the way. I thought easy fix...I grabbed the cable at the fire wall for a little tug to try to pull it through...POP! "Uh, Mikey..You just broke the control panel". Oh Crap! I had pulled just a little too hard, and pulled the HVAC dash controls loose, and broke one of the mounting tabs. Got it back in place at the end, but It now sits slightly cock-eyed. Another reason for a trip to junk yard row. In the end we fixed the binding cable issue. I lubed the inside with some WD40, it slides easily and fully. Now there's no more constant heat from the dash, unless I want it. As it should be.

One thing I had noticed in the last week, was that either my headlights weren't as bright as they should be, or I was suddenly having night vision issues. Brian said he noticed it too. Thankfully my eyes are good, and so are his. The lights were in fact dimmer. Another wring issue. After I hit a deer a couple years ago, I had converted the 92 grille and headlights from single to the stacking lights setup from an 83. ( EASY swap by the way, if you want the 4 headlight look. I have the directions and schematic). When we took a closer look, the high beam bulb had a low voltage glow when they were supposed to be off. "What the hell? They were working fine before the engine swap"! Back on AllData looking at wiring schematics. Even called my son, who is a wiz on so many things. (I really need to make that boy to go back to college to finish his engineering degree..but that's another story... ) anyway.... even HE is puzzled. We got out the ohmmeter, saw 3.3 volts at the high beam wire when it should be zero in the off position. Then after an hour of WTF's and head scratching, looking at wiring diagrams and each other like we know this was working right before the swap, and losing count of how many times we checked the grounds, etc. Brian starts looking at the old harness I pulled, to compare. He soon spots the problem! There WAS a difference in the headlight wiring. "What? These were the same year model!?!?!?" Yep, turns out the red, black and purple wires were in a different position on the headlamp connector from each other, versus the original set up. We tried to release the individual wires from the connector plug to move them to where they needed to be. No luck. Some you can, some you can't... So I got a couple pieces of wire, stuck them in the connector, touched them on the headlight as it was before, making a temporary adapter so to speak. Now everything works right. So I clip the plugs off each harness, butt connect wires to make things right again on original connector. Now we see the light! The headlights were even putting out some heat like they should. It was night time by now, so I pull the van out to the street, it's nice and dark, we adjust the head light aim. Now I can see where I am going when it's dark. I live out in the country by the way.

Today's focus, checking MORE wiring and electrical issues. See if I can figure out why the Over Drive won't engage, and why the ABS and brake lights stay on in the dash.. Wondering how much the difference in 91 and 92 will play a part, AGAIN! I'll let y'all know...

In the next few weeks I plan to either run up to New Braunfels or Austin, try to meet up with my fellow vanners in The Central Texas Vanners.

Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon. [Re: mlarky] #758276
March 23rd 2020 9:48 pm
March 23rd 2020 9:48 pm
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
mlarky  Offline OP
enthusiast
Knocked out the new water pump this weekend. Started thinking about what is left on the van mechanically, that hasn't been rebuilt or replaced...Rear differential, steering box, are all I can think of at this point. Still haven't got over drive working on the tranny. Been researching, hoping it won't have to go to the tranny shop for that. Or I get bold and learn how to fix that myself. Never done more on a transmission that pull and replace or change the filter and fluid.

After that the AC gets my attention. Already seeing 80's and 90's are coming soon. Then I can finally start on body work and prep for paint.

Hoping y'all get through this corona stuff OK.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro 

Donate

Upcoming Events
Vanfest 2020
06-12-2020
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Astrocreep66), 2 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jimmyz3286, ABSURDTYHIGGINS, Tomsautobody, Cman, 93TMCG20
11379 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kursed 68
LOOKSLO 47
frscke1 45
Wedgy 35
CatFish 34
Forum Statistics
Forums68