Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 50 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 49 50
Re: 1969 Econoline Shorty
Charlie 99909 #755514 January 04th 2020 10:25 pm
Master Yard Rat
OP Offline
Master Yard Rat
Good god, where do I begin about today? So, the last time I couldn't figure out where the short was when I fired up the van and she wouldn't shut off when the key was off. I thought about it and remembered that I had run a jumper wire straight from the battery to the HEI. It still wouldn't shut off.

[Linked Image]

The solenoid had been relocated to a bit higher up by the hood. I kinda like the location as it isn't close to the oil dipstick tube and it pulls the wires a little tighter so they don't get clipped by the fan, but not too tight. I cleaned up some of the wiring by cutting, crimping, tubing, and heating. There are a lot of bad wiring areas but I am getting them as I go. I kept chasing that damned electrical ghost most of the day.

While I was dealing with this, I stepped back for a few minutes and did some rearranging on the storage space inside the van.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I removed the old rear bench because it takes up too much space. I'm probably going to junk it unless someone in the NorCal area wants it. They can have it for free. Just gotta pick it up.

Laid everything out and started putting it back in. Got a lot of space and I'm not worried that I might start dinging up (too late) some good parts. I did a test fit on my hood because it was always a little cock-eyed and saw the brake line interferes with the middle part of the hood. Something else to fix because the lines were redone by someone in the dark who was drunk, I assume. They're terrible looking.

While working on the wiring, I removed the overhead console to trace a lot of dead wires coming from there.

[Linked Image]

Having looked inside, the front part of the console will need some reworking, if I even decide to use it again. I may just use a piece of wood cut for a stereo/CB and wrap it in diamond pleat. TBD.

After I cleaned up the cargo space, I still was annoyed by the electrical so I polished a mag to clear my head. It dawned on me what I was doing wrong. It took me an hour and a few wiring diagrams to realize I had it on the positive terminal from the solenoid. I used the positive wire meant for the coil and bingo.

I made sure it was good and did the crimping. I had some time, so I installed the radiator and test fit all the hoses. Everything looked great. I gave it one last test crank before I'd go home. Nothing. Not a damn thing happened when I turned the key.

Frustrated didn't begin to describe it. I spent another hour going over my wiring and making sure it was fine. I swapped back and fourth between solenoids to see if there was a difference. Nothing. I threw my hands up and packed it in for the day. As I was leaving, a wrench slipped and hit one of the solenoid wires and it came loose. I looked at it and sure enough the contact had broken off and wasn't letting any juice in. I did a new one and she fired up like a dream.

You hear the thunder of stampeding rhinos, elephants and tacky tigers
This town ain't big enough for the both of us
And it ain't me who's gonna leave
AdSense long
Charlie 99909 #755522 January 05th 2020 10:08 am
A
veteran
veteran
A
See there back away and it will fix itself..lol. yes I know how frustrating electrical can be.

When in doubt..get the sawzall out..
Astrocreep66 #755535 January 06th 2020 1:55 am
Master Yard Rat
OP Offline
Master Yard Rat
Originally Posted by Astrocreep66
See there back away and it will fix itself..lol. yes I know how frustrating electrical can be.

I hate electrical but at least I'm repairing the broken old wires and bad wiring. I ordered a factory manual that should be here this week. I had an old Hayes manual that wasn't bad. It actually had part numbers in it.

I pulled the HEI the other day and the shaft separated from the lower half. There isn't a pin to keep it in place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I ordered it from CJ Pony parts, I am waiting for them to send me an email so I can attach pictures. I'll call them on Monday again so they can replace it. It fires just fine though.

I went to my local Pick N Pull, they have an E100 there that is super picked over. I pulled the rear cargo doors because they are the same as my side cargo doors. Mine are kinda crooked, almost looked bent. I figured if I needed to swap them, it would be good to have them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The more I work on this van and deal with all of its problems and quirks, the more I love it. I can't wait to have a cruiser/Harley hauler/tow vehicle/camper.

Charlie 99909 #755569 January 07th 2020 3:14 pm
veteran
veteran
I'm getting anxious as hell to get mine on the road too, but watching you guys with your builds helps a ton.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Charlie 99909 #755686 January 11th 2020 7:28 pm
Master Yard Rat
OP Offline
Master Yard Rat
Small update today. I am waiting for my new HEI to be warrantied out from CJ Pony Parts due to the shaft separation. I went down today but had to leave early due to getting transmission fluid in my eye and having to throw away one of my contacts.

[Linked Image]

I cleaned out a bunch of the dead wiring from the upper console and it gives me a clean starting area.

[Linked Image]

I'm surprised this van hadn't caught fire as most of the wiring is just copper ends being twisted together and taped, but more of the tape was dried up and falling off.

[Linked Image]

Just a small portion of the crap wiring I tossed today. I was able to keep three wires, one appears to be a blue wire from the Ford harness and two used for a power and a ground for the old tape deck. I'll keep those three for the stereo deck that I end up using if that's what they are.

I also found this cool antenna booster for the old radio. I may leave it in the van to hook up to the 8 track deck, or just leave it for looks.

[Linked Image]

I'm for sure keep the old 70's aftermarket speakers, working on getting some NOS by tonight that match and third set by tomorrow. I also scored some woodman "Realistic" brand 6in speaker covers. Those will go in the front doors.

[Linked Image]

The radiator has been secured into the front now and it clears the fan, so do any electrical wires. While in the process of connecting the bottom radiator hose, that's when the fluid hit me in the eye. I had so much more planned for today. Oh well. I have an idea about filling that open area where the factory radio went. I want to get some L brackets, tap them, and mount them along the edge of the hole. I'll screw in a flat piece of wood, maybe 1/4" for thickness and get some cheap brown diamond pleat to wrap it with. Make it into a space filler until I can decide what to do there.

She is starting to look like a van again.

Oh, I saved these about a day before the whole van was junked. Shame because it was rust free.

[Linked Image]

I might used them for side cargo doors and fill the window sills and license place location. My side door is bent a bit, but I'll see what the body guy who is going to fix the rust thinks.

Charlie 99909 #755688 January 11th 2020 8:21 pm
A
veteran
veteran
A
Most of these suppliers use the same Chi-Comm parts, that really sucks.

When in doubt..get the sawzall out..
Charlie 99909 #755731 January 12th 2020 5:18 pm
Master Yard Rat
OP Offline
Master Yard Rat
So, today I went to our monthly antique fair in downtown. Usually it is good for some oddball pieces from the 60's and 70's here and there. Better than the local flea market. Inside a booth of just old tools and junk, I find a box. Turns out, it's a box of KC Hilites from the 80's. Everything is still in their original plastic. The only thing missing is a rubber boot for the mounting bracket. I can't tell you what I paid, but I basically stole them.

[Linked Image]

I'm ordering a fender flare and wing kit tonight or tomorrow and I figured this would be perfect for the air dam.

It still has the Sears stamp on the bottom of the box and the date from 1987. Hrmmm, I wonder about their 5 year warranty though. laugh

Charlie 99909 #755749 January 12th 2020 11:58 pm
old hand
old hand
Ooooh I wanna order flares too. Can’t wait to see this on your van! Those lights are rad, nice score

1987 B250 - Painkiller
Charlie 99909 #755755 January 13th 2020 7:49 am
veteran
veteran
+1 on the awesome score for the lights! I'm digging that antenna booster too, now I'm going to have to find one similar.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Page 7 of 50 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 49 50

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530