December 06th 2019 10:19 pm
Pennsylvania
D
Dw89xj Offline OP
Dw89xj  Offline OP
D
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
Did cleaning the grounds/replacing the battery cables, wiggling the wire bundles at the computer have any effect?

It definitely smoothed it out some, but it's still not right, after about 20+/- miles it stalls and doesn't want to restart except short intervals then stalls as soon as it's dropped in gear. After it sits overnight or fir 8 it so hours it's fine for about another 15-25 miles. I also don't know if I'm getting all the grounds as I can't get to everything from my chair, my wife is real good at replacing parts I can't get to but she's no mechanic.

98 Dodge shorty hitop mark iv
95 Chevy van 20 regency hitop conversion van
Re: Ram down, 98 b1500 v6 [Re: Ram4ever] #754732
December 06th 2019 10:31 pm
December 06th 2019 10:31 pm
Pennsylvania
D
Dw89xj Offline OP
Dw89xj  Offline OP
D
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
Here's a small basket of other potential issues you could investigate:

It may be worth checking that your throttle kick down linkage is still intact. Having the valve it controls on the transmission in the incorrect position can bog the engine down till it bucks and stalls. The shift linkage and its Nylon bushings can also come apart and place the transmission in weird in-between states.

Has anyone installed a 2nd fuel filter anywhere along the fuel lines to the tank? A lot of times Mechanics will install one under the cargo doors. They become neglected and fill up with water...

Speaking of water, does your engine oil still look good, or is it Milky? Is the exhaust at all cloudy?

How is the engine temperature during these events? Are you running the AC or defogger?

The fuel tank cap is an often overlooked source of nagging intermittent ssues. I bring it up often, because few people ever check it. You could try opening it right when this issue occurs and listen for an air rushing sound. The fuel pump is fully capable of drawing a hard vacuum against the fuel tank if the relief valve in the cap fails. This would starve the engine of fuel. It's possible to drive with a cap partially unscrewed if necessary to further test this possibility.

There is also a vent hose from the fuel tank which typically hangs in the open near the passenger side rear leaf springs. Wasps and spiders often build nests in it...

Check that the fusible links haven't developed cracks or hard lumps of corrosion inside their insulation. They'll be up next to the brake booster, and have soft hypalon rubber insulation rather than vinyl.

There are lots of other potential culprits, but keep looking at those electrical connections as you're currently doing. Those tend to bear the most fruit.

It's shifting fine and goes in gear fine, the gauges say all is good while running, the coolant isnt boiling over or showing any signs of overheating. The oil is pretty dark but no chocolate milk. The exhaust is a little rich smelling sometimes but normally after it is warm no signs of haze or extra smoke or anything.
The gas cap makes alot of sense, or something in the fuel system, my wife says after it stalls it will only crank until she hears it gurgle then it will restart for a few seconds. It will start and run fine, most of the time, for the first start of the day for 15-25 miles then it throws a fit and will not restart until it sits several hours. Negative for the extra fuel filter, just whatever is in the tank. It's a shorty so the gas tank is under the driver side midship area. For the most part it's been a real good van the last 5 years, except tracking down brake system parts and a water pump. Other than that just oil and basic tune up stuff until the last few weeks maybe months? My wife isn't great at telling me when something starts acting funny until it actually let's her down, I haven't been able to go on a ride in months to see for myself as I've been waiting to get my new wheelchair and the loaner I have is too wide for my lift gate.

Re: Ram down, 98 b1500 v6 [Re: Dw89xj] #754778
December 08th 2019 7:34 pm
December 08th 2019 7:34 pm
Dundee, Michigan
Ram4ever Offline

pooh-bah
Ram4ever  Offline

pooh-bah
Dundee, Michigan
That sure sounds like fuel system type symptoms. Be sure to have her release the fuel cap next time it happens, then while it's loose try to restart without a lot of pumping on the acellerator pedal - you don't want it to flood.

There's an inline filter on many vans aside from the filter sock on the tank pickup. Yours is much more recent vintage than mine, but the filters with three nipples are commonly used on these to reduce vapor lock. They can fill up with water. Mine is right at the front of the engine, where the fuel lines jump from the frame extension to the engine.

There is also a small sintered bronze fuel strainer in many carburetors, right where the fuel line enters the carb. Since yours does start up and run, that's not so likely a culprit, but be aware that it may be there.

Since it sounds like your van is driven a lot, I didn't bring it up, but fuel tanks can fill up with water, especially if the tanks aren't kept full. Short of pulling and draining a tank, dry-gas fuel additive or see through inline fuel filters are about the only simple way to identify and deal with that possibility.

There's always the possibility your fuel pump could be failing, or the engine could be flooding too, like if the choke linkage is getting stuck or gradually closing. We've also had a few spark coils fail, which tends to occur as heat builds up.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Re: Ram down, 98 b1500 v6 [Re: Ram4ever] #754791
December 09th 2019 9:05 am
December 09th 2019 9:05 am
Pennsylvania
D
Dw89xj Offline OP
Dw89xj  Offline OP
D
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Ram4ever
That sure sounds like fuel system type symptoms. Be sure to have her release the fuel cap next time it happens, then while it's loose try to restart without a lot of pumping on the acellerator pedal - you don't want it to flood.

There's an inline filter on many vans aside from the filter sock on the tank pickup. Yours is much more recent vintage than mine, but the filters with three nipples are commonly used on these to reduce vapor lock. They can fill up with water. Mine is right at the front of the engine, where the fuel lines jump from the frame extension to the engine.

There is also a small sintered bronze fuel strainer in many carburetors, right where the fuel line enters the carb. Since yours does start up and run, that's not so likely a culprit, but be aware that it may be there.

Since it sounds like your van is driven a lot, I didn't bring it up, but fuel tanks can fill up with water, especially if the tanks aren't kept full. Short of pulling and draining a tank, dry-gas fuel additive or see through inline fuel filters are about the only simple way to identify and deal with that possibility.

There's always the possibility your fuel pump could be failing, or the engine could be flooding too, like if the choke linkage is getting stuck or gradually closing. We've also had a few spark coils fail, which tends to occur as heat builds up.

Mine has the throttle body style fuel injection. And it gets driven daily when it's acting right. She's been getting a ride to work and being stubborn about taking it for a test drive, I did crack the gas cap open about a quarter turn to see if it does it next time she tries it. I'm glad you pointed out the coil that had slipped my mind, that will be my next check if this loose gas cap doesn't produce favorable results. It's been a good van for us but I suppose after 21 years it is due for love even if the miles are kind of low for a 98.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 0 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
treal512, 78DodgeRV, KDvan, lane, Anthony
11292 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kursed 112
frscke1 25
Lee7673 16
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics36,776
Posts527,102