Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Distrubutor keeps breaking
#754546 November 28th 2019 9:28 pm
G
OP Offline
G
Hi! I have a Dodge Ram Van b250. I have had the van for 1 year and already gone through 3 distributors and 2 highway breakdowns. My trusty mechanic has fixed the last two distributors and he claims it is because the distributors he has put in are aftermarket and can't find a new OEM. I have since found a used tested OEM distributor but I also think it's something else causing the distributor to get out of wack and eventually the pin snaps at higher RPM's. I have a feeling this is why my '94 only has 50k miles on it- I think this has happened to every owner since the beginning of time. My mechanic says the cam shaft is strait and no wobble, but he says maybe it is a deeper issue but that would require weeks of diagnostic and pulling apart most of the engine. He threw in a new distributor at no labor just the parts and sent me on my way. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Especially Mopar related? What could be causing the distributor to crap out constantly? Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by G20SignWriter; December 01st 2019 9:06 pm.

Surfing Sucks, Get a Job
1994 Dodge B250 Shorty
~1995 Chevrolet G20~

[Linked Image]
Re: Distrubutor keeps breaking
G20SignWriter #754556 November 29th 2019 11:52 pm
stranger
stranger
"I have a feeling this is why my '94 only has 50k miles on it- I think this has happened to every owner since the beginning of time".

i have thought about this all day. i bet you are right! i am in the market for a van and i keep
seeing quite a few that have very low miles...sure makes you wonder why? maybe that's why
some say they look for high-mileage as it means the vehicle runs good...good luck on your
search for the problem!
jim

Re: Distrubutor keeps breaking
G20SignWriter #754783 December 08th 2019 10:34 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Reed, did you see this?

When you say "the pin keeps snapping at higher RPMs", what part of the distributor are you talking about? Do you have any pictures? How high in RPMs are you revving?

Is this a single or dual pickup distributor? What brand of distributor cap and rotor are you using? There are premium ones available which may be better in terms of materials and precision of machining.

Do you know if your mechanic has an actual service manual for these vans? The pickup to reluctor adjustment is pretty critical in terms of how narrow a gap you can set up before reluctor teeth start being chipped or snapped off.
So far, it sounds like your mechanic is the constant in the equation...

There is supposed to be a cotton wick in the hollow of the distributor shaft, under the rotor, which is to be lubricated periodically with engine oil. Are yours dry? They won't be lubricated right out of rebuild.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747