Rate Thread
1990 Dodge B250 Ram Van Wagon AC problem
#753829 November 03rd 2019 3:54 pm
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Need your guys help. I just picked up a 1990 Dodge B250 Ram Van Wagon. It has a 318 V8 motor. It is in decent shape and runs. My AC compressor is shot and needs replacement. The van was just purchased and was sitting in a barn for some time. Compressor is rusted and won't turn.
1) How hard a job is this for a DIY home mechanic to fix and replace? The AC compressor is on the top of the engine, but looks like a real pain to access, as it is set back in the engine bay.
2) I need to also replace my alternator. Since the AC compressor was rusted and wouldn't turn, it snapped/ shredded my alternator to AC belt. If I don't want or can't use the A/C, is there an A/C bypass belt and if so does anybody know the size or belt part number? Where can I pick this belt up at?

Thanks for your feedback and help!!!

Last edited by Marks1990; November 03rd 2019 3:56 pm.
AdSense long
Re: 1990 Dodge B250 Ram Van Wagon AC problem
Marks1990 #753844 November 04th 2019 9:42 am
W
veteran
Online Content
veteran
W
Hi Mark, Welcome to the site!

It's even more fun when the broken belt takes out the Tranny cooler lines too!

The AC has a clutch on the front. It may be seized. It should turn freely without the belt on.You could possibly replace only the clutch, to get rolling again. What have you got to lose? I managed to find one on Ebay for my 94 360, with the wide serpentine 7 groove pulley, but I had bigger problems than that shocked

TunerforLife says they are not difficult to replace, it would work. Parts are there over on Ebay.

My 1988 has V-belts, Used I think up until 1993? My 94 is a serpentine single belt. A shorter belt to eliminate the AC pulley? IDK. Maybe. It's a 2 groove V pulley on the AC.
A similar Van without AC, would be nice to look at. Even better if it's a parts Van in a junkyard!

Good Wrenching and Welcome aboard!
P.S.
You really need a Factory Service Manual! Ebay

Re: 1990 Dodge B250 Ram Van Wagon AC problem
Marks1990 #754786 December 09th 2019 1:05 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I've pulled the entire scroll compressor system plus brackets off of 80s vintage salvage yard B vans. It's not as difficult as you might think. Surprisingly few parts, and most are quite accessible. Getting the dual v-belts loosened up and out of the way was my biggest challenge.

I had one of those clutch bearings freeze up on my vans RV2 compressor. It spun the compressor (which requires 15 HP for an RV2!) for who knows how long. Fortunately I don't drive it much.

Your vintage of scroll compressor should take about 8 HP, so the fact your belts shredded would lead me to believe your compressor has failed severely and locked up internally, in addition to the clutch bearing failure.

If you do pull it, be sure you thoroughly clean the hose fittings beforehand so no dirt can drop into the hoses, and cover them with plastic bags with rubber bands or wire ties right away just to be sure. And have new O-rings, manifold seals, and a new drier on hand. You should always replace the drier anytime you open up a system. The seals and O-rings are considered one-time use.

You won't want to leave much time between installing the new drier and pumping the system down to a hard vacuum. That tiny bit of moisture in the air can do nasty things inside an AC system, even with a new drier in place. If you need to have a shop do your recharge, schedule it with them well in advance so you're not left hanging for weeks.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747