Rate Thread
Gas / Fuel Gauge replaced
#753265 October 13th 2019 10:54 am
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
To start I got on a mission I was gonna have a working fuel gauge if it was the last thing I did.
A bigger task than I'd imagine.
1. drop the 35 gal gas tank.... Problem it was plum full. my neighbors all got free gas.
2. pull the sending unit out. I had No tool to remove that giant nut. It's no at all like a regular sending unit flat nut , It's a huge nut.
my friend grabbed it and twisted it off by hand, I couldn't budge it.
3. send it to NY to be repaired... 200 bucks
4. replace all the rubber lines in the back attaching to the tank.
5. reinstall sending unit , Check for correct Ohms. all's good
6. reinstall tank, accidently break off the ground wire from the new sending unit in the process.
7. drop tank again solder ground wire ,What a pain that was. reinstall tank.
8. Still no joy on the gas gauge.
9. remove dash panel
10. I have the correct Ohms I need , It seems the 5 volt limiter is not putting out 5 volts. So I ordered a new one Electronic style.
Took 2 weeks to get it.
11. Upon closer inspection someone has really messed with this Limiter socket One of the receivers is installed backwards.
Fixed all that, now the limiter can be pulled from the front of the panel. That is now working , Still NO gas gauge.
12. pull the dash for the 5th time remove the gas gauge and test. After busting the gas gauge , I go order one from Amazon .
be careful you have to find one with the correct Ohms or it's not going to work.
Range: Empty = 73 Ohm, Full = 10 Ohm
Equus 7361 2" Fuel Level Gauge, Chrome with Black Dial
it does not come with a mounting bezel so order that too.

13. this gauge uses 12 volts so you need a new source and it has to be switched. I had removed an old alarm system and was
able to plug into that.
14. Now you need a wire coming direct from the sending unit. easy enough I just use the bottom bolt from the original gas gauge
Um that didn't work well , It made the gas gauge slam to full then empty every 2 seconds. yes the tank was full. It's reading
the 5 volt limiter pulsing. NOT gonna work. pull it all apart again , Of course in the process I drop a dash screw into the
steering column, then drop the magnet inthe same place.. OMG I finally got them out. Turns out the screw wasn't even in
there.
15 . Cut the sending unit wire (G) solder a new wire .
16. mount the new gauge wire it up. Sending unit wire and 12v wire to gauge , I even used the 12v to light up the light in the
gauge. cool

17. SUCCESS Finally I have a working gas gauge. Was it worth all the hassle Ya I think so. and I now know the system pretty
well.
I'm thinking I may have pinched a fuel line cause at full throttle it bogs out . I'll drop the back of the tank and take a closer
look.

If you read all this Thanks Maybe I could help someone not to go through all the learning curve that I did.

Re: Gas / Fuel Gauge replaced
Jerry_XtraVanTastic #753266 October 13th 2019 11:08 am
M
veteran
veteran
M
Wow, sounds like a major project and the kind of luck I have when working on anything as I get older. I would recommend also changing the fuel filter. Good to hear you got the gauge working.

Jerry_XtraVanTastic #753267 October 13th 2019 11:54 am
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
I dropped the tank and the lines are clear. I kinda hoped that was it . It's not so....

Meanmachine #753268 October 13th 2019 11:58 am
J
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
J
ya it's possible I got some crap in there blockin. But I do have an in line filter (Clear) an It looks ok. But I'll take it off an check it.

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)