Western NY Van Association
by vistacruiser - March 14th 2024 10:24 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon.
Death or victory #752552 September 18th 2019 8:10 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Appreciate the suggestion, but I'm on a tight budget. Wish I could afford to do more. The best I can do on my current budget is regasket the motor, new timing chain, tuneup, thermostat, hoses, and give it a coat of old school dodge blue. That right there will run me about $200, even with my discount at work. I really just want to get it in and running for now. My V6 is getting weak with the 236,000 miles. Had been planning a new timing chain and replace the leaky intake gasket, and hope for the best. This V8 swap with the OD tranny is my best hope for new life in my van. I'll be happy if I can this engine to 200,000 miles with little problems. Plan to get the rear heat and ac in as well. Researched all of it. I still haven't figured out the drive shaft issue that still remains. Gonna start pulling parts this weekend if I can. Make a list of needs, figure out which tranny I got, etc.

AdSense long
mlarky #752554 September 19th 2019 2:11 am
Maniac
Maniac
Originally Posted by mlarky
I still haven't figured out the drive shaft issue that still remains.

Grab the driveshaft out of the donor van and have it shortened and balanced. Shouldn't be more than $200. Once you have the drivetrain all installed, slide the front yoke of the donor driveshaft into the back of the trans until it is inserted the same amount it was in the donor van (maybe wrap a piece of tap around the snout of the yoke to see where it was before it is removed). Then measure the distance from the midddle of the front u-joint to the middle of the rear axle pinion yoke. Now take the donor driveshaft to a driveshaft shop and have them shorten it to the measurement between the yokes. Have them balance it, too.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #752557 September 19th 2019 7:55 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Reed Thanks for the input. Others I have talked to have said the same, modify what I have. Plus I have Already been down that path on other projects. Back then I had the spare cash, the spare time to do it all, and usually those were more a Frankenstein vehicle, so a necessity. This is mainly a same year, make and model swap. Wheel base is different, therefore the shaft length is different. Trying to do this on a vary tight budget. Plan to pull the drive shaft, get sizes, and measurements. Compare what I have between the 2 vans. I do have a shop here that does drive shafts, and I will at least call for an estimate. Plan to look closely at all options. The most frugal way for me now, is the go to Pick N Pull find a shorty V8 with OD tranny van, check the measurements and hope I can do that with new U-joints and move on. PNP costs maybe $30 for a used driveshaft, new U-joints are about $30 for the good ones. Now that I can more easily afford afford. This weekend I start assessing what I have down to part numbers, sizes, needs, etc. See which AOD I actually have, rear end ratios, etc. The B350 is 1 ton, mine is 3/4 ton B250. All my research so far suggests that Except for the drive shaft length, suspension springs, the different engine and tranny, they use a share a ton of parts in common. Kinda why I was going down this path.

mlarky #752559 September 19th 2019 12:11 pm
Maniac
Maniac
To see which trans you have, look at the pan shape:

[Linked Image]

If both vans are the same model year, then, yeah, basically everything will interchange.

mlarky #752860 September 29th 2019 7:21 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Got the bumpers swapped last weekend. What a chore though! 1st stove bolt I loosened on the front bumper to the bracket rounded out. Ended up having the remove the bumpers with the brackets. On the front that was fairly easy. The rear bolts were a bear...There was not much room to work with on a few of the bolts. So it was 1/4 turns with an open ended wrench kinda thing. 2 of the bolts had to be loosened with a breaker bar, 1 on front 1 on back. But they went back in without too much hassle. Also got the trailer hitch swapped over. That was...fun.. but I got it on. Took a day doing both vans from having to do the bracket bolts with open end wrenches. Weird part is, putting them on took less time than pulling the other ones off. So I have the 2 deluxe bumpers, complete and in decent shape if there be any one interested.

Yesterday I spent cleaning the garage getting ready to pull the 5.9 and tranny out of the donor van, along with all the wiring, PCM, hoses, lines etc. Start the process of re-gasketing the drive train, cleaning wires and lines, getting new hoses. New timing chain, trans filter and such. Plan on photos, detailed notes and shop manual for where everything goes in my van. Once ready in a month or so, I will do the swap. Should be a lot cooler weather here by then. Use a couple of vacation days, make a long weekend so i have time for any incidents that might arise.

Today I was at my son's house helping him put in a refurbished 351 and AOD in friend's 87 Econoline. A true Good Times Machine by the way. He's gonna help with mine when I am ready. My son has turned into quite the mechanic. I taught him well.

mlarky #752986 October 03rd 2019 7:17 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Looks like I have the 904/A500 trans. Tried starting it after sitting 2 weeks. No issues. Hoping to begin some work this weekend on parting out the dual ac pieces, and see if they will fit mine. Waiting for cooler weather to set in soon. Down here in south Central Texas, mother nature apparently didn't get the memo about it being fall yet...

mlarky #752996 October 04th 2019 2:57 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
I swapped my 8 3/8" (often called the 8.25) differential for a 9.25. Both have 3.55 to 1 ratio
I have to use a conversion U joint in the rear as the yoke of the 9.25 is wider.

Be kind to the connectors on the engine computers, and make sure the wire bundles are not exerting their weight on their connectors.

Might want to get yourself some regular connector cleaner like crc qed for blasting out old dielectric grease and detritus, but this spray does nothing for oxidized electrical connectors. Get a Can of Caig Deoxit D5. It is magic electrical juice.
Pretty much order online unless you have a fry's electronics nearby.

All the sensors which get 5v from the engine computer, benefit greatly from good contact in teh connectors, sending back more accurate readings to the engine computer for it to adjust spark fuel and timing for best power and economy. When I d5'd my sensor connectors, it felt like I took 500lbs of weight out of my van then next drive. The map and TPS sensor connectors were badly oxidized despite being surrounded by dielectric grease for 25+ years.

The Caig D5 has no equal, but its too pricey to waste blasting out crap from ancient connectors.

mlarky #753061 October 05th 2019 4:47 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Thanks for the tip wrcsixeight. Mine is a 3/4 ton and should aready have the 9" diff. I'll double check. Donor van is a 1 ton with 6 lugs diff and 3.90 gears. No swap happening there. The plan is to pull the donor van into the garage tomorrow and start assessing needs, then start pulling the drive train, wiring harnesses, and hoses over the next 2 weekends. Gonna be a ton of work, but I want that V8 and Over drive tranny in my van in big way! My 236,000 mile V6 is beginning to show it's age. Then when everything is ready, I'll take a long weekend for the swap into my van. Praying there won't be too many hiccups and it will be a straight forward swap.

mlarky #753063 October 05th 2019 6:15 pm
Maniac
Maniac
wrcsixeight is dead on. If you are going so far as swapping harnesses, now if a perfect time to clean and check the condition of all connection and grounds. Deoxit is awesome stuff. Not cheap, but worth the price (like Kroil).

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rich11304, Maggpratt89, theGiggityGig, B150 SHIFT head, Gruff
12716 Registered Users