1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon.
#752452 September 14th 2019 8:32 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Hi Gang, Been almost 4 years since my last post. My 92 shorty conversion van, just rolled over to 235,00. The 3.9 still running strong , good 140+ cylinder compression in all 6 last tune up 2 months ago. But now having intake gasket leak issues, and she leaks a quart about every 500 miles. Bought the gaskets, just waiting for weather to cool down out of the upper 90's and 100's here in Texas.

Since my last post in Oct 2010, I hit a deer and had to replace the front bumper and grille. But that turned into the perfect opportunity to do the '83 grille with the 4 headlight swap. Turns out that was an EASY customizing swap!! Stacked headlights looks way cooler in my eye. A 16 year old kid clipped my front passenger side fender with his truck grille guard, so there is a nice dent behind the headlight. This happened in the parking lot at work. To my amazement he came into the store, found me and manned up about his mistake, then gave me cash towards the repairs! We raise kids right here in Texas! My tranny had to get rebuilt 2 years ago, no issues since. There is a long list of repairs since 2010, suffice to say. Some stories to share about repairs. New AC system, a battery that dies 1 week out of warranty, new fuel pump in a 35 gallon tank, a small electrical fire on the fire wall that took out 4 fuseable links, 3 feet of wire and then I had to rewire the fuse block to move 2 burnt circuits, suffice it to say I have rebuilt or replaced just about everything but the long block and differential. The leaky intake is a recent problem. Other than that, she's been a rather reliable van in between the occasional repair.

I have been wanting a make mine a V8 van for a long time, after years of beating myself up over not waiting till I found a V8 van. The V6 is just a tad anemic for my tastes. But my 92 Dodge B250 van was in good shape, loaded with options, well maintained and a very reasonable $2000 when I got it 7 years ago. A few months back, one of my customers sold his 92 V8 work van. I found out just 2 days after he sold it. When he told me, I was crushed. He said had he known, would have sold it to me cheap. BUT...Today my wish came true...I got a strong lead on another 92 Dodge B250 long wheel base passenger van with a 5.9 and the Over drive tranny, and only 86k on the odometer! Everything I need to swap a V8 into MY vanI Only $600 OBO !!! Hoping he'll take $500 since he doesn't have clear title, only papers from the auction he got it from. Bought it, then lost interest story. Checking it out tomorrow, probably buy it. Seller says in good driving condition, body and interior showing their age. I figure I'll get it home, check out the drive train for any visible issues like gasket leaks. Then I'll pull the motor and trans, all the wiring harnesses, PCM, etc. Just fix what needs fixing, then paint the motor old school Dodge blue. The 3.9 was pained black at factory. Have some items I need to research, like the differential, if they use the same? So far online info says they do, gear ratios might be different. Hoping the drive shaft will stay the same on mine. I am wondering if the OD tranny will sit in about the same spot since linkage and other components will be in the same place I hope. But I don't know the difference in tranny lengths yet so the drive shaft might mean a trip to Pick N Pull look for a V8 shorty van if that becomes an issue. After the swap is done, all I pull from my van goes in the back of the other van, then I call Pick N Pull to get it. Last vehicle I sold for scrap got me $250. So I sould recoup some of my investment, and have money for needs. The bumpers on this van are the plain chrome ones I prefer, and in decent shape. Mine are the bumper guard deluxe bumpers with the black rubber strips on either side of the bumper guards. Have a fellow vanner coveting mine to replace his painted ones, so maybe make a few bucks on them. Will see what other parts I can use off this other van. Maybe bigger brakes with the V8 long wheel base I can swap?? Then see what others out there might need, and sell cheap just because we're fellow vanners. Who knows, in the end I might break even on this deal, AND get a 5.9 with AOD in my van, giving it new life!

If any of you have done the V6 to V8 swap in a 80's and 90's Dodge van, any info would be appreciated. Hoping with be straight forward swap, everything in this van for the swap. I will keep a diary, post pics and share what I learn.

AdSense long
Re: Mlarky's 92 Dodge maybe getting new drive train soon.
mlarky #752453 September 15th 2019 7:43 am
Old Timer
Old Timer
Good to hear from you again. I am sure someone can help ya out.

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
2020 Chevy van Sapphire Sweet.
Club Vannerz.
vanninvanner@comcast.net
mlarky #752459 September 15th 2019 1:48 pm
Maniac
Maniac
The six cylinder transmission will have the same mounting points in the same places as the v-8 transmission, but the driveshafts might have different lengths and front yokes. The transmission mounting points will be different if you currently have a three speed but will be installing a four speed:

[Linked Image]

But the linkage attachment points should be identical.

I would check the rear gear ratios and maybe swap rear axles if the gear ratios are different but the bolt patterns are the same.

Other things you should consider swapping:

(1) cooling system
(2) trans cooler, if equipped
(3) exhaust
(4) brakes, if they are bigger on the donor van
(5) the rear leaf springs, if they ae in better shape and carry more than yours
(6) grab all the door weatherstripping that is in good shape
(7) pop out windows in the doors?

Any other little bits that look good.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
mlarky #752466 September 15th 2019 6:15 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Bought it for $600! A 92 B350 1ton long van. 86,200 on odometer. 5.9/360 with OD tranny. Ran good and strong going home! Bonus stuff...has all the dual ac parts I have been wanting for the hot Texas weather! They were working but not cooling. Nice receiver hitch that will go on my van. A few interior trim pieces I can use. Has clean straight, plain chrome bumpers I plan to swap for a cleaner look than the deluxe with bumper guards and black pieces in between that I currently have. Going for a simple and clean look on mine. Anyone need deluxe bumpers? Of course I also have all the pieces and parts, wiring harness, PCM, etc. to swap out. No chasing the little stuff. Except for the windshield all the glass is good, even the flip out windows on the side and in back. None I will need though. Won't be using any suspension parts since this is a 1 ton and I have the 3/4 B250. Hope the front springs are right for the swap on mine.

No leaks on engine or tranny, plan to do tranny filter change and new fluid of course. Tune up engine...cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc. New belts and hoses.

Time to start researching everything on both vans. Swap as much from this van to mine as I can. Sell what I can off this one, get what I can from Pick N Pull for the shell and old drive train which will be tossed in the back. Even if I only Get $100 for the shell, It'll be out of my yard. Once I get it all in, then head for the muffler shop and some nice dual exhaust coming out in front of the back wheels. As close as I hope to get to the side pipes sound. Can't do the side pipes since I have the running board and flares combo. Wife says I gotta keep them since it's only way she can climb in. LOL.
Soon as the cooler weather sets in, I will do the swap, once everything is ready. Meanwhile start pulling and cleaning parts from this van on weekends mornings until it gets too hot to be outside. Gonna be interesting... I'll post info and pics as I go to help others. Still open to tips and advice from y'all.

mlarky #752480 September 16th 2019 1:02 am
Maniac
Maniac
Keep the alternator and starter motor from the 3.6 V-6. People with old Mopars like to upgrade to the newer alt and starter motors. THey bolt right up to the older six and eight cylinder motors.

Factory rear AC might not work with a conversion van interior. Look closely.

Use the radiator, trans cooler, and trans cooler lines from the van with the overdrive trans.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #752504 September 16th 2019 8:00 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Thanks for the tips. As for the Rear ac, it will fit. I will MAKE it fit. Have torch, will modify!! LOL The set up in this van is on the drivers side. Seriously I am gonna try to make it fit and work somehow.

mlarky #752506 September 16th 2019 8:34 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Congrats! Have fun with the swap out. Hopefully you won't get stuck anyplace on the change over.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
Why is it that when I press 1 for English, I still can not understand the person on the other end????
mlarky #752535 September 17th 2019 9:00 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Done swaps before in other toys over the years. Always some glitches, creating new cuss words, but in the end the satisfaction and impressing others with the finished running machine, makes it all worth while. Been researching the parts, and such. Looking like 95+% of everything will straight out swap in. Which was the intent, and why I specifically was looking for another '92. Drive shaft is the one issue I will have to figure out. The B350 is a long van, mine's a shorty. I'm thinking Pick N Pull for one from a shorty with V8 and AOD should do. Yes, I could take it to a shop and have it modified, but, trying to do this on low/tight budget. My savings, meant for fixing what I have, went into buying the B350. If it isn't to stifling hot this weekend, gonna start pulling the dual ac parts, and get an idea of what I will need to do to swap it in mine. Plan to Swap the bumpers as well. Anyone interested in the deluxe bumpers I have? They're in decent shape. Make me an offer. The grille setup on this B350 van in decent shape as well, the turn signal lenses have the usual old plastic cracking, but the chrome is clean, no dents. Make me an offer as well. If they don't find a new home, I'll just toss them in the back of the B350 and Pick N Pull gets them when I have them haul off what's left. Anxious to do the swap. Mine will roll over to 236,000 miles by the weekend. Has a leaking intake in the back, losing 1 quart every 500 miles, bet timing chain is stretched. I was already planning to fix those. Had even already bought the parts. But Now I have V8 fever! I know I might be sacrificing a couple of MPGs, but a 360 V8 with AOD, will be a nice change in performance from an anemic V6 in a rolling 5000 pound brick on wheels. I've only been averaging 13 on the road anyway the last few years. Was getting 15 on the road when I first got it. Contemplating a couple of other mods for mileage. Mostly it'll be hard NOT to get throttle happy when the V8 goes in. It was REAL strong running coming home. Planning dual exhaust after it's in and all the bugs are out of it. I'd prefer the exhaust to come out in front of rear wheels. Probably figure out what I can with the parts I have, cut, clamp, and hope. Save up for a good shop to do it right later on. Already pricing mufflers like Flowmaster or Dynomax. Open to ideas and suggestions. Working for Auto Zone gets me a 20% discount, which helps.

mlarky #752537 September 17th 2019 10:19 pm
old hand
old hand
Cam/valve springs would be my first upgrade. It’s a roller motor so you should get good power gains. Also it should have 302 heads which have smog ports meaning if you run headers, you’ll need to tap and plug those ports unless you run regular stock headers. Both of those things would be best done while out of the van as well.

Last edited by Deathorvictory; September 17th 2019 10:22 pm.

1987 B250 - Painkiller
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 18 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530