Rate Thread
1981 Chevy G-10 NYC Area HELP!
#751148 August 01st 2019 1:52 pm
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N

I've posted a few other places on the board about my new van. My girl and I got our dream shorty - a 1981 Chevy g10. It's a beauty. Almost everything is rebuilt - carb, brakes, water pump, new thermostat housing, fresh paint job, you name it... I think the alternator, smog pump, and power steering pump are the only things that weren't rebuilt/replaced either before we bought it or since we've had it.

We've driven it halfway across america already, and it's starting to show it's faults, which we've successfully fixed so far on every occasion.

But now we have a real dilemma and I definitely need some help and advice, and if anyone in the NYC area can work on these, let me know!! This new problem is way out of my abilities.

It's a 250 integrated six, and lucky us, we just got a crack on the exhaust manifold, and my local mechanic and local meineke don't have the ability to work on it cause it's cast iron. Now if I can get it welded, then that's one thing but who's to say it won't crack again somewhere else?

I would be up for replacing it with an older non-integrated 250, which is totally fine, but I haven't looked yet for any local junkyards or people that might have them.

And the biggest problem is even if I do find one, I don't have the ability to take out the old one and put a new one in.

So.... that's where I'm at. I'm definitely getting desperate for someone to come along and help out. We really love this van, and are really excited to become part of this community. But we need some serious help. So any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Nick

Re: 1981 Chevy G-10 NYC Area HELP!
NickVivid #754523 November 27th 2019 11:06 pm
veteran
veteran
I would pull it off and take it to a good welding shop. Shouldn't cost a whole lot to have it welded, and it should last a good long while after that at least until you figure out another plan of attack.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Re: 1981 Chevy G-10 NYC Area HELP!
NickVivid #754530 November 28th 2019 8:39 am
journeyman
journeyman
NickVivid, yes, you can do as kursed suggested. Remove the carburetor then hit the area with PB Blaster to loosen up the bolts which may be rusted on the exhaust manifold. Having it off the engine will help you see and address the damage much better. You can either have it prepped and welded up at your local welding shop or get another manifold from online or local junkyard. I think cast iron is best welded using a stick welder as opposed to MIG or TIG, but I'm not sure so it's best to get pro advice on this.

Or you can take the head off (with basic tools) and get a non-integrated head from online or local junkyard. It will bolt right up to your block. You will also need to get the intake and exhaust manifolds for it. You might also need to get another carburetor if your current one doesn't fit. And then have a muffler shop connect the exhaust manifold up to your current exhaust if it doesn't bolt right up. This method will obviously cost more money.

I would go with kursed's suggestion.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

PS - I lived in NYC 1993-2001 and enjoyed it. Brooklyn: Bushwick (nice), East New York (hated it) and Canarsie (boring). Also in Manhattan: the East Village 12 & A (fun), Gramercy East 23rd Street & Lexington (SVA college dorms, fun) and finally the Upper West Side 94th & Riverside (the best fit for me). Married my Staten Island girlfriend and brought her down to Texas.

Where do you live?

Last edited by Frosty; November 28th 2019 8:47 am.

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
rick74, Keithl, G10brett, Debusen, mkmc69
12734 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)