Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: adding speakers?,
NEmery #751082 July 30th 2019 8:43 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Several things. If your front speakers are under the front seat, you are not getting clean sound from them. What I mean by this is your mids and tweeters are directional, if you're getting the sound waves from reflection from under the seat it's not going to be as clean as if it were pointed somewhat towards your ears. Subs are another story, your ears cannot determine so easily where bass sound is coming from. What's wrong with putting a set of rear speakers in the back doors with an amp to increase the volume of the rear fill? I would add an amp to the rear speaker line using a four channel amp and just use the four channels for the back sets of speakers.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
Why is it that when I press 1 for English, I still can not understand the person on the other end????
AdSense long
Starlord #751100 July 31st 2019 7:38 am
NEmery Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Starlord
Several things. If your front speakers are under the front seat, you are not getting clean sound from them. What I mean by this is your mids and tweeters are directional, if you're getting the sound waves from reflection from under the seat it's not going to be as clean as if it were pointed somewhat towards your ears. Subs are another story, your ears cannot determine so easily where bass sound is coming from. What's wrong with putting a set of rear speakers in the back doors with an amp to increase the volume of the rear fill? I would add an amp to the rear speaker line using a four channel amp and just use the four channels for the back sets of speakers.

If I ever pull the dash, I will replace the dash speakers, as I know the front speakers under the seats suck. They are also very old Koss 3 way units from the 80's. LOL. I am liking the idea of an AMP to the rear speakers and using that amp to add the second set. I am not looking to mount any in the doors, though. I am thinking on the pillars in the corner or on the roof facing forward.

NEmery #751145 August 01st 2019 12:00 pm
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am by no means a sound expert, but I have learned (did it and wasn't happy with the sound level) that just placing a speaker in a box and laying it on the floor (even if powered by an AMP) that you may not get the sound volume out that you thought.

By having speakers in the dash, the sound is being reflected off of the windshield back into the van/your face. Yes, most speakers are directional, but placement of a speaker is important. The other issue is that a common dash speaker was around the size of a 4x6 and when powering with an amp, most 4x6 speakers wont handle a bigger amp. To add to speakers in the dash, you have a space issue in most cases, the passenger side isn't the issue, but usually it's the drivers side.

You would be surprised with the importance of placing a speaker and the reflection of the sound waves that will make a huge factor in sound levels.

My only suggestion is, don't point the speaker in a direction where the carpet/seat/leg will absorb/block the sound.

NEmery #751150 August 01st 2019 2:24 pm
addict
addict
My Pioneer touch screen and my old Alpine have a sound correction settings so the sound to the driver seat is delayed.

[IMG]A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth. Question Authority.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (drivestylish), 10 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drivestylish, MGCBBQ, rick74, Keithl, G10brett
12736 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 181
Wedgy 43
frscke1 28
CatFish 27
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,844