Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
Re: My 1997 Express
Dyno_Dave #744714 January 24th 2019 12:48 pm
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
Sort of like potato chips...I just couldn't stop.

Went around once with the Flitz, and was very pleased with the progress. Took a nylon panel beating hammer and straightened a bend near the latch. And looking it over thought, this one spot didn't come out well...and that lead to going over the whole thing a second time. Made a great difference, and now I AM DONE. My arm, shoulder and fingers demand it.

[Linked Image]

The centers arrived in the mail too. One for the front, one for the back.

[Linked Image]

AdSense long
Dyno_Dave #744719 January 24th 2019 5:08 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
Cool!
You worked much harder on that than I would have...
but it looks much better than mine would. smile

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
Dyno_Dave #744721 January 24th 2019 6:07 pm
A
veteran
veteran
A
I have a set of rims I will come pick you up..lol, taking time all the small stuff makes ALL The difference..nice job👍

When in doubt..get the sawzall out..
Dyno_Dave #748134 May 07th 2019 9:21 pm
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
The Express took a little trip to the repair shop last week. A new intake gasket (the 3rd in it's 9k mile lifetime...damn plastic thing), water pump, serpentine belt, fresh coolant, and a new thermostat. I had them use a 180 thermostat instead of the original 195.

Then it was off through Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee with empty car hauler in tow. Weight about 1700 - 1800 lbs and with little aero penalty, it got 13.5-ish MPG running about 72 - 73 mph. Van loaded with my all of my daughters college belongings (which seemed to have multiplied considerably since we dropped her off there in August of last year), and with her car on the car hauler, we headed off through Tennessee, Kentucky, and spent the night in Southern Illinois. The photo here is the Express parked in the bus parking area next to our cabin in Giant City State Park, with water tower and observation platform in the background.

[Linked Image]

The next day, through Illinois, Indiana and back to Michigan. Got about 11.5ish on that half of the trip. Van ran great, did not use or lose a drop of coolant, and I am very happy with how cool it ran. In drive, nearly flat out on some long grades holding 65 mph, the needle barely budged off it's cool reading. I'm stoked about that. Lots of reserve capacity in that cooling system (tow package with engine oil cooler and an aftermarket trans cooler on top of the factory one), which is the way I like it. Vortec heads are known to crack when overheated, and this will keep me far away from that sort of trouble.

Dyno_Dave #748152 May 08th 2019 6:17 am
veteran
veteran
I freakin love it when a repair goes well. So many times I go to fix one thing and either break another or find another pre-existing issue. It's nice when the repair goes as planned. Glad that temp is staying down. Super clean looking ride man.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Dyno_Dave #750786 July 20th 2019 6:54 pm
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
It's been a working summer for The Express.

My sons truck suffered a catastrophic engine failure, and had to be replaced by a new vehicle. Replacement secured, we hitched the van up to the aluminum car hauler again, and headed south.

Along the way, we crested the 100k mile mark, rolling right along, and running better than ever.

[Linked Image]

Once there, we had some extra time to visit with our son. This included a little light hiking through Giant City with the wife (stayed in the same park as last trip, parked in the same spot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The trip home always includes a stop at the Blue Hat in Coldwater for coffee.

[Linked Image]

Dyno_Dave #750787 July 20th 2019 6:57 pm
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
The following month, we took The Express to Cincinnati for a family gathering. Nothing better for road trips. Unfortunately, the a/c slowly stopped working on the way down. I topped off the system while I was there, and was able to get it working for the drive home, but it's clearly a large leak, as it was again going flat before we made Detroit. I did make it to a swapmeet while I was there, and picked up a few nick-nacks.

Dyno_Dave #750788 July 20th 2019 7:41 pm
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
A trip to the shop for an a/c repair (corroded aluminum lines to the rear system), and just in time. The next day, we left for a short summer getaway.

Great Lakes: Superior, Huron, Michigan, we touched our toes in all 3 during this little tour of northern Michigan.

First stop, Mackinaw City, MI. Stayed in a cabin. With gear, food, bedding, cooler...no other vehicle would have got the job done, while offering leather seating and limo sized rear leg room for our passengers. Again, a fantastic vehicle. Speed limit is 75 much of the way, which means you run 80 just to keep up, and the Vortec powered Express cruised along with no problems.

[Linked Image]

Next morning, we crossed the Straights of Mackinac (different spelling, but still pronounced Mackinaw) by 30 minute launch ride to Mackinac Island. The entire trip we enjoyed cool temps and clear skies. Here, enjoying lunch on the island harbor's edge...best meal of the trip at Mary's Bistro.

[Linked Image]

Next day, across the Mackinaw Bridge...(note: not my image of the bridge...the water was not this rough when we crossed to the island the day before, though it was the night we arrived)...

[Linked Image]

...into the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) of Michigan to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. Here the Sault (Soo) Locks pass huge Great Lakes freighters from Lake Superior to the lower Great Lakes via the St. Mary's river.

But first, lunch at the West Pier Drive-In. Hey, if the van is great for traveling, why not eat inside of it too?

[Linked Image]

First time I'd had a food tray on the drivers window.

[Linked Image]

Then back to the locks. We watched several ships pass through. Here a 1000 footer (the largest the locks can pass) waits it's turn to pass through the locks.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dyno_Dave; July 20th 2019 8:04 pm.
Dyno_Dave #750789 July 20th 2019 7:51 pm
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
Next stop, Canada!

Across the bridge at Sault Ste. Marie, MI, to Sault Ste. Marie, Canada! First time for The Express out of the country.

[Linked Image]

Then an hour or so leisurely drive to Batchawana Bay, so we could stick our toes in Lake Superior. Beautiful park, and no one there. Much of the road to it is through small (?) mountains, and winding along the shore of the lake...beautiful!

[Linked Image]

Then back into the USA, starting at mile 1 (so to speak) of I-75 at the USA/Canada border. That means that with the previously described trip to Orland, FL on I-75, The Express has driven most (but not quite all) of this great north/south interstate.

Back down through the U.P. to St. Igance, on the U.P. (north) end of the Mackinaw Bridge. Spent a night in a nice hotel in St. Ignace, with a beautiful view off the balcony. Another excellent dinner, drinks and evening out.

[Linked Image]

Next morning, we packed up, did a little shopping in St. Ignace, went to the Mystery Spot MYSTERY SPOT ?, then back across the Mackinaw Bridge for lunch in Mackinaw City at Weinerlicious. Really. You can't make that up.

[Linked Image]

Then a high speed run home. Makes you feel sorry for folks NOT traveling by van. cheers

Last edited by Dyno_Dave; July 20th 2019 8:11 pm.
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747