Rate Thread
6=8 slant six package deal from Clifford
#750638 July 15th 2019 8:21 am
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Howdy.

I have a 1982 B150 with the 225.
Running pretty solid, but the Holley 1945 probably needs a rebuild. Looking at the condition of some of the components on the engine, I’d like to also take the manifolds off and really clean and inspect. Seeing as how my future plans were a new carb and dual exhaust, (looking for a nice sound) I fell upon this deal from Clifford for the Weber 38 and all the components. I’m wondering on the practicality side, if you guys have heard or know anything about these. And as far as technical, I’m reading I will be losing the vacuum amplifier which I’m trying to lose clutter anyway. PO left a lot of vacuum lines capped, and cut, and placed in the wrong areas. I’m also seeing that I will need to drill and tap a barb to the intake for the power brake booster vacuum line. I’m assuming that is vital. Any info you have for deleting the vacuum amplifier, egr on the intake, changing from hard linkage to a cable for the throttle, and really, any advice you have in general. Thank you! This is also my first project vehicle, so I apologize for any obvious inexperience or wrong terminology.

https://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/68-Mopar-225-Coombination-68M225.htm

1982 Dodge B-150 Shorty 4speed
IBEW

Catchphrase!
Re: 6=8 slant six package deal from Clifford
Buzzcatcher #750660 July 16th 2019 8:52 am
R
R
Good day!

That should be a nice upgrade for your slant. You might reach out to Clifford before ordering to verify the headers will clear properly in a van.

For the throttle cable I’d suggest getting a cable throttle from a newer van in the junkyard. I don’t know what year exactly they changed over, possibly in 88 when they went from carbs to the TBI fuel injection, but my 91 Dodge is a cable. I’ve done a ton of Weber swaps on old Toyota’s with linkage throttles and was always able to get a cable and pedal from a newer version of the same car and make it work pretty easily.

Drilling and tapping your intake shouldn’t be a big deal. Most aftermarket ones have a spot or two that is for drilling. It’ll be an obviously thicker section that looks like a few nickels stacked up on top of an intake runner usually.

Cheers,

- Rich

1991 Dodge B250 Zephyr Conversion. "Bi-frost" 89,000-ish original miles and counting.
- 318TBI; has headwork and other bolt on upgrades. Runs strong and smooth!
- Powertrax locker
- 3" aluminum radiator.
- Rear air springs, rebuilt suspension, steering stabilizer.
RichardB #750663 July 16th 2019 10:36 am
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I’ll have to check the junk yard! Thanks Rich!
I’m starting to hear more about Clifford being a nightmare nowadays, service wise. Holding peoples money and horror stories of low quality and wrong parts. Doesn’t sound good.

IBEW

Catchphrase!
Buzzcatcher #750668 July 16th 2019 11:59 am
Maniac
Maniac
Go to www.slantsix.org and read through the stickies in the engine section, read through the tech articles, and ask questions. For a street driven van I wouldn't buy anything from Clifford.

I would start by etermining what you have right now. A 1982 van might have had some form of lean burn computer or it might not. I would start by getting a shop manual for your van (a real factory one, not a Haynes or Chiltons) and repairing all the damage done by the previous owners. Trace and reconnect all the vacuum lines. Give it a good tuneup and see how well it will run in stock form. Only after you have a good baseline to build from would I start thinking about making any modifications. The biggest problem you will face is the air cleaner. Six cylinder Dodge vans use special offset air cleaners to clear the engine cover on the driver's side. Keep that in mind if you start thinking about changing the fuel delivery system.

The only carburetion change I would make would be to a "Super Six" setup like the factory did, but you have to deal with the air cleaner. Read the article i wrote about the Super Six over on www.slantsix.org

You will be better served installing a free flowing exhaust and working on the cylinder head to increase compression than by getting Clifford's "power package."

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Buzzcatcher #750670 July 16th 2019 3:47 pm
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Hello Buzz, I have a B150 225 4 speed from 82 as well and you may want to double check your carb. The 1945 and 6145 look really similar but the 6145 is a feedback/lean burn carb. Anyway mine has a 6145. If you look under the hood there will be a back box next to the voltage regulator for the alternator. That is the lean burn computer. Also the feedback carb should have an electric throttle stop on the linkage. This holds the revs at about 1000 for a second or two when you let off the gas. Info is tough to find but slantsix.org has some good info and some of the old posts scoured through the forums from Reed are helpful (Thanks btw)

As for upgrades I have been torn, the van runs really well so I haven't wanted to mess with it and end up with a van that doesn't run as well or reliably. 2 barrel intakes are very expensive and pop up on ebay rarely. The 4 barrel intakes are probably overkill for a stock engine. After pricing out some of the items a junkyard 318 is about the same price. In my opinion I will just enjoy the slow ride with all 90hp and save money getting 17mpg, then when the times comes put that money towards a small block.

If I got any info wrong let me know, i'll appreciate any knowledge on the topic.

DontComeKnocken #750676 July 16th 2019 6:56 pm
A
veteran
veteran
A
My 86 b150 was a lean burn,I popped the hood while buying it and saw a bunch of empty harnesses.. someone converted it back points..yeas breakerless point distributor. Lol.

When in doubt..get the sawzall out..
Buzzcatcher #750679 July 16th 2019 7:17 pm
R
R
Thats too bad Clifford might be going to hell with customer service and such. In the past I've heard good things. I do agree with Reed that your first step should be a good all around tune up.
By random chance I saw a dual carb Offenhauser intake for a slant six on my local facebook marketplace this morning. I wonder if that would be worth it? Looks like it uses two of the factory one-barrel carbs.

- Rich

1991 Dodge B250 Zephyr Conversion. "Bi-frost" 89,000-ish original miles and counting.
- 318TBI; has headwork and other bolt on upgrades. Runs strong and smooth!
- Powertrax locker
- 3" aluminum radiator.
- Rear air springs, rebuilt suspension, steering stabilizer.
Buzzcatcher #750697 July 17th 2019 5:43 am
M
veteran
Online Content
veteran
M
Lean Burns, I had a 78 Chrysler Cordoba with the lean burn attached to the side of the air cleaner and constantly had problems with it, somebody had converted it back to points, took me several years to figure out, but the ignition wasn't creating enough spark and the manifold became plugged with carbon. Looked like coal when I chiseled it out. The car ran good after that. They did make a by-pass kit to eliminate the Lean Burn system.

Reed #750717 July 18th 2019 8:49 am
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I did manage to find the factory manual, so that has been helpful. Looks like I will be researching the lean burn, and some other mods suggested by SlantSixDan. Thank you all for the help. Hopefully figuring out the vacuum lines won’t be a nightmare.

IBEW

Catchphrase!

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members