Print Thread
Rate Thread
Why I LOVE being a Vanner
#749648 June 14th 2019 10:47 am
kursed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
There are a TON of reasons I love being a vanner, but I just wanted to share a little of that. So when I first got into vanning a few years back, I landed a crappy 1991 G10 long wheelbase work van with a worn out 4.3L V6 and an automatic. Didn't take very long for me to realize that thing was one underpowered dog. Soon after, the darn transmission took a crap and I determined that it wasn't worth the investment to me for an engine and trans swap, as I really wanted a shorty anyway. Didn't matter that I was rolling a worn out long wheelbase work van though, every vanner I met was excited for me to be in a van. I got invitations to van clubs, and even when I got rid of it, I had folks inviting me to hang outs with the family Toyota Sienna minivan we had at that time saying "Well technically it's a van, come hang out with us!"

Fast forward a year or two and I worked out a trade for the 1976 G10 long wheelbase survivor I named "the Rum Cutter". She wasn't fancy or decked out, simple original paint, and a couple port windows.Yet everywhere I went, I would run into a current or former vanner and be welcomed just like I was a part of their family. If I needed anything, folks would jump at the opportunity to help where they could. So when family came first and I decided to let her go, I thought well that's it, can't be a vanner without a van. I was dead wrong.

It took a few years for me to find another van, and I was determined this time I wanted a G10 shorty like I had lusted after on day one. Even without a van to roll, I was invited to hang out at the local van get together by Rickie. I went and hung out for a few and introduced myself to a few of the guys. Had a good time, but didn't stick around long for the same reason I'd been inactive for a while on here, I was in a pissy mood because I didn't have a van of my own.

Finally got one! I landed the 82 G10 shorty about a month or so ago, and ever since I got her, I've been reminded of why I love Vannin' so damn much. I've had folks pitch in to help in any way they can. Last night I posted that I was looking for an old used wooden steering wheel, someone quickly responded with a link to one for sale on eBay. I always prefer to buy used from a fellow vanner before hitting places like eBay or Amazon, so I went to Facebook and posted in a Vanner group there. Damn if folks didn't start chiming in right away and I landed not only one, but TWO decent used steering wheels and still ended up cheaper than what one would cost on eBay!

I've been into all sorts of automotive groups in my past, but NONE have felt as much like family as you all. When I had a 1957 VW the Volks community was horribly divided. You had the purists on one side, and the customs on another, and yet another corner had the rat rod crowd. But generally speaking, you only found friends in your particular corner and I didn't fit into one category so I ended up getting screwed often. It's the same way in the hot rod community, it's divided and you have to stick with a click or get hosed. Motorcycles, classic trucks, you name it they are almost all like this... with the exception of vans.

It doesn't matter if I'm talking about my 2000 Chevy Astro van or the 1982 G10, or whatever! If it's a van, I'm welcomed in with open arms. I just wanted to take a minute to thank all you jokers for always making me feel like family no matter what, even when I didn't have a van. For that I am eternally grateful and I will always be a VANNER!

cheers

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
AdSense long
Re: Why I LOVE being a Vanner
kursed #749650 June 14th 2019 12:15 pm
old hand
old hand
glad to see you found a wheel. I had one pop up on my marketplace today for cheap that I was going to share, but since you got a couple i may pick it up for myself.

I have also noticed that Vanners are a different breed than most other automotive folks. (I am not trying to start a "what is a Vanner" debate, but when I say Vanner I am using it as somebody that is more than an owner... Somebody that loves all vans and wants to preserve the van culture that has been around for over 40 years!) They are much more willing to help a fellow Vanner regardless if they know each other or not, and less judgmental of other's style and personal choices of van and style. Vanning is a much more relaxed and accepting community. There are exceptions to this, but this is the typical way I have found it.

kursed #749672 June 15th 2019 8:36 am
Old Timer
Old Timer
Well said NEmery!

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
2020 Chevy van Sapphire Sweet.
Club Vannerz.
vanninvanner@comcast.net
newkirkinc1 #749746 June 17th 2019 2:27 pm
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by newkirkinc1
Well said NEmery!

thanks.

kursed #749770 June 17th 2019 10:38 pm
kursed Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yes, very well said and true. I just wanted to let you all know you are freaking awesome and thanks for being the coolest. I can't wait to get the darn van on the road and hopefully meet some more of you at some runs.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
kursed #749830 June 19th 2019 10:55 am
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kursed
Yes, very well said and true. I just wanted to let you all know you are freaking awesome and thanks for being the coolest. I can't wait to get the darn van on the road and hopefully meet some more of you at some runs.

Come on down sometime and bring the family!

kursed #749850 June 19th 2019 4:05 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Vanners ROCK! van

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
kursed #749889 June 20th 2019 7:45 pm
Old Timer
Old Timer
Hell yes!

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
2020 Chevy van Sapphire Sweet.
Club Vannerz.
vanninvanner@comcast.net

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129
frscke1 28
CatFish 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746