Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Air Cleaner Options?
MXDUDE #749293 June 05th 2019 2:37 pm
Maniac
Maniac
You could always use hose clamps and dryer hose from the hardware store.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
MXDUDE #749296 June 05th 2019 3:30 pm
Alot of my parts have come from a yd .... this one is my spare ... I paid 10 bucks for it... but I see its worth a small fortune lol

Any van g10 g20 g30 77 thru 95 will have one of these

[Linked Image]

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
Reed #749297 June 05th 2019 3:57 pm
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Reed
You could always use hose clamps and dryer hose from the hardware store.

I have all the OEM pieces except the clamps. But even zip tied tightly it still wants to come apart. Its like it is .5" too short if connected correctly. Why I wanted to go with something different.

frscke1 #749298 June 05th 2019 3:59 pm
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by frscke1
Alot of my parts have come from a yd .... this one is my spare ... I paid 10 bucks for it... but I see its worth a small fortune lol

[Linked Image]

Looking at yours, I see the front piece has 2 bolts that go into the front clip above the fan. I dont have those on my stock set-up. Might be part of the prob.

MXDUDE #749299 June 05th 2019 5:41 pm
Its a down spout bolted to the top or the grill support... right next to the hod release.

Maybe 94 was the cut off going into the Express series .... if you can complete the assy it works GREAT !

[Linked Image]

looking at the pic ... do you think the air is better at this end of the snorkel or down in that black hole on top of the motor ?

the pic shows I fixed this one with a pc of alum "L" till I found the spare. Well time to replace that one .. glad I have spares of A LOT of parts. Yards are great for giving up expensive parts cheap...

Last edited by frscke1; June 05th 2019 6:01 pm.

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
frscke1 #749300 June 05th 2019 7:21 pm
old hand
old hand
My 87 Ram Van has the same set up as pictured there. Big improvement over my 79.

1987 B250 - Painkiller
MXDUDE #749307 June 06th 2019 8:19 am
old hand
old hand

Mine is a '79 and that plastic snorkel absolutely would not work with the stock air cleaner housing. The place where that plastic piece attaches is at least double the size of the stock snorkel inlet. On the 70's cars, snorkel ducting (on GM cars so equipped) was still that round fabric material of about 3" diameter with the wire to keep its shape and flexibility. Also on a '79, there is a donkey dick with a valve for the heat riser/choke set up that runs down under the small-ass snorkel inlet to the right side (heat riser equipped) exhaust manifold that heats up and can warm the incoming air... i am sure the engineers had their reasoning (like for far north folks in winters or something), but down here in the humid south that is definitely counter productive...

MXDUDE, sorry man but I have no clue what will fit on your '95. The 14" had to be spaced only to clear the rear of the big AC compressor on my '79. If I didn't have AC the 14" would have been fine as is. Since you have conflicting opinions here, my advice to you is to try it both ways and see what your real world results are. I don't know much about the TBI system, like are they a speed density system? Do they have a MAF? Do they have an intake air temp sensor? MAP sensor? If a FI system is equipped with these things, programming is set to make adjustments to fuel and spark accordingly. This could make a big difference over an old 4 bbl small block set up. The only way you will know for sure of how your van responds is to try it. What does it cost to try out different set ups? I have like $30 invested in putting the open element on mine (thanks to autozone rewards dollars), so if it had not run any better I wasn't out much.

Either way, I have already noticed on mine that the engine absolutely accelerates easier than with the small enclosed element. I wont have a MPG until the next road trip, as I measure it on highway drives only due to too many variables with around town readings. I will guarantee its better than the 11mpg that I had last month when i drove to Daytona for Vanning Mayhem or to Florence, SC and back on Memorial day (that was keeping it between 65-70mph at all times...350/TH350, 3.75 rear gear on 31" tires with ambient outside temps of 102). I will report back with my MPG next time I record it.

NEmery #749311 June 06th 2019 10:04 am
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by NEmery

Mine is a '79 and that plastic snorkel absolutely would not work with the stock air cleaner housing. The place where that plastic piece attaches is at least double the size of the stock snorkel inlet. On the 70's cars, snorkel ducting (on GM cars so equipped) was still that round fabric material of about 3" diameter with the wire to keep its shape and flexibility. Also on a '79, there is a donkey dick with a valve for the heat riser/choke set up that runs down under the small-ass snorkel inlet to the right side (heat riser equipped) exhaust manifold that heats up and can warm the incoming air... i am sure the engineers had their reasoning (like for far north folks in winters or something), but down here in the humid south that is definitely counter productive...

MXDUDE, sorry man but I have no clue what will fit on your '95. The 14" had to be spaced only to clear the rear of the big AC compressor on my '79. If I didn't have AC the 14" would have been fine as is. Since you have conflicting opinions here, my advice to you is to try it both ways and see what your real world results are. I don't know much about the TBI system, like are they a speed density system? Do they have a MAF? Do they have an intake air temp sensor? MAP sensor? If a FI system is equipped with these things, programming is set to make adjustments to fuel and spark accordingly. This could make a big difference over an old 4 bbl small block set up. The only way you will know for sure of how your van responds is to try it. What does it cost to try out different set ups? I have like $30 invested in putting the open element on mine (thanks to autozone rewards dollars), so if it had not run any better I wasn't out much.

Either way, I have already noticed on mine that the engine absolutely accelerates easier than with the small enclosed element. I wont have a MPG until the next road trip, as I measure it on highway drives only due to too many variables with around town readings. I will guarantee its better than the 11mpg that I had last month when i drove to Daytona for Vanning Mayhem or to Florence, SC and back on Memorial day (that was keeping it between 65-70mph at all times...350/TH350, 3.75 rear gear on 31" tires with ambient outside temps of 102). I will report back with my MPG next time I record it.

No MAF, does have a MAP, intake temp sensor, and electronic advance ( I assume this is what you are reffering to as "programming"?) I will grab one and try it. Also going to try setting up the stock outfit correctly. Thanks for your response. Will report back.

frscke1 #749312 June 06th 2019 10:04 am
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Its a down spout bolted to the top or the grill support... right next to the hod release.

Maybe 94 was the cut off going into the Express series .... if you can complete the assy it works GREAT !

[Linked Image]

looking at the pic ... do you think the air is better at this end of the snorkel or down in that black hole on top of the motor ?

the pic shows I fixed this one with a pc of alum "L" till I found the spare. Well time to replace that one .. glad I have spares of A LOT of parts. Yards are great for giving up expensive parts cheap...

Thanks for the pic. I will see what I can come up with for fasteners.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meanmachine), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 125
CatFish 25
frscke1 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746