Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Windshield Wiper Wiring
shrapnel #507229 October 26th 2011 1:03 pm
addict
addict
HEY THAT"S MY VAN (purchased in August)! And Guess what... the wiper's don't turn on. hahaha. Shit... so I'm assuming that something keeps shorting it and frying it out??? I'd like to re-open this topic for discussion. I was ready to buy a new wiper motor (which is most likely what needs to happen) but looks like I'm going to have to figure out some wiring issues to it... Heck, planning on getting a "painless" pre-wired fuse block... maybe I'll just hook it to that.

Bramble On!
[Linked Image]
shrapnel #507283 October 26th 2011 4:04 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Check the grounding of the wiper motor through it's mounting bolts like Nate said. Pay special attention to cleaning up the surface of the metal strap which goes under the one bolt. It only takes a little corrosion to make it lose contact.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
shrapnel #507364 October 26th 2011 8:15 pm
addict
addict
Thanks dude!

Bramble On!
[Linked Image]
shrapnel #749163 June 01st 2019 9:14 pm
D
stranger
stranger
D
Another 7 years has passed and I've stumbled on this thread with a similar question. I have a 1972 Dodge B300/Sportsman and the wipers don't work. The wiring in my van is the same as the OPs.

Here's what I've done:
1) The wiper fluid squirter works when pressing the button, so seemingly there is no blown fuse.
2) I checked the ceramic block for continuity between the two brown wires. There is none. This indicates the ceramic block is a problem. It does get hot when the wiper switch is on.
3) I checked what wires connecting to the wiper motor are live when the switch is manipulated.The pink-ish wire is always live, regardless of whether the switch is off, low or high; and then one of the brown wires is live when the switch is on high only. Strange that the same wires are live when the switch is "off" or "low". This might indicate a problem with my switch (e.g. the low position might not work), but I'm happy as long as the wipers at least partly work. I need functional wipers to pass the road inspection.
4) I tried to ground the motor by running a wire from the body/bolts straight to the 12V battery negative terminal when the wiper motor was supposed to be on. Nothing happened, so my ground is likely not the main problem (this van has little rust).
5) I un-wisely tried to power the wiper motor by running a wire from the battery to where the blue wire attached to the motor. This resulted in a short, which I think damaged the motor because when I first did this sparks flew and the wire got hot, but now nothing happens when I do the same thing.

So my assessment is that my ceramic block is likely a problem, my switch is questionable but seemingly should at least partly work, and my wiper motor may have been fine but is now perhaps damaged from me shorting it out.

Seemingly I should buy a replacement motor, but can anyone advise whether these come with the ceramic thing? Or is that something to order separately?

Thanks very much for whatever help you are willing to provide.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 12 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users