Air Cleaner Options?
#749057 May 30th 2019 1:51 pm
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Curious what you guys are running for air cleaners? Im not a fan of the stock one because the plumbing that goes forward to the fan never stays together correctly. I want to get rid of all the plumbing. Maybe get a nice one from summit or something without plumbing. What are you guys doing/have done. its a 1995 G30 350 TBI

Re: Air Cleaner Options?
MXDUDE #749113 May 31st 2019 9:44 am
old hand
old hand
i actually purchased an open element for my 79 yesterday...and it didn't work! all my Research pointed to a 14" element cleaner (Edelbrock 1221, I think). I brought it home and pulled the doghouse to put it on and it would not clear my AC Compressor at all. I am going to go and see if there is a taller spacer to help out. I need it to set up less than an inch higher to clear, or I need to get a 12" diameter assembly.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
MXDUDE #749117 May 31st 2019 11:01 am
Maniac
Maniac
Don't run an open element air cleaner. Hot underhood air is bad for power and economy. You want a closed air filter housing with a duct off the snorkel routed to draw cool air from beside or below the radiator. I run stock air filter housings on all my vehicles.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #749189 June 03rd 2019 10:55 am
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Reed
Don't run an open element air cleaner. Hot underhood air is bad for power and economy. You want a closed air filter housing with a duct off the snorkel routed to draw cool air from beside or below the radiator. I run stock air filter housings on all my vehicles.

In a van, I don't see how an open element will draw in any warmer air than was already being pulled in? The stock filter element was less than 10" diameter by 3.5" tall in an enclosed housing with a short snorkel. The snorkel had maybe a 2" diameter opening to draw air from as far back as behind the alternator and never had ducting from the snorkel forward to a cooler air point.

The 14" Diameter by 3" Tall Element should provide about 25 more square inches of filter media and with unobstructed airflow compared to stock, allowing the engine to breath more efficiently. The engine is essentially a large air pump. Given that the inlet air temp will be very likely the same, the easier it is to draw air in should result in better performance.

All that aside, i found a plastic spacer set and was able to space the 14" Edelbrock 1221 assembly up high enough to clear the AC Compressor. I put the plastic spacer between the stock steel spacer and the carb to maybe isolate some of the heat transfer. i know it doesn't make a difference, since these aren't high performance, but anything can help. Seat of the pants: It feels like the engine is accelerating easier. I already have a 2.25 dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40's dumping through the sides (through the rear of sidepipes), so the only exhaust limitation is the manifolds. I am also running an old Edelbrock 2PSP intake, so I am not reaching RPM's high enough to need any more flow.

MXDUDE #749195 June 03rd 2019 1:06 pm
Maniac
Maniac
If you read what I said, I told you to add a duct coming off the stock snorkle to pull cold air from beside or below the radiator. Just air for an existing hole in the radiator support. All the manufacturers were doing this by the mid 80s. Yes, unless the van already has a factory cold air intake, leaving the stock air cleaner in place will suck in hot air from the top of the engine compartment, just like the open element air cleaner.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
NEmery #749284 June 05th 2019 12:05 pm
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by NEmery

In a van, I don't see how an open element will draw in any warmer air than was already being pulled in? The stock filter element was less than 10" diameter by 3.5" tall in an enclosed housing with a short snorkel. The snorkel had maybe a 2" diameter opening to draw air from as far back as behind the alternator and never had ducting from the snorkel forward to a cooler air point.

The 14" Diameter by 3" Tall Element should provide about 25 more square inches of filter media and with unobstructed airflow compared to stock, allowing the engine to breath more efficiently. The engine is essentially a large air pump. Given that the inlet air temp will be very likely the same, the easier it is to draw air in should result in better performance.

All that aside, i found a plastic spacer set and was able to space the 14" Edelbrock 1221 assembly up high enough to clear the AC Compressor. I put the plastic spacer between the stock steel spacer and the carb to maybe isolate some of the heat transfer. i know it doesn't make a difference, since these aren't high performance, but anything can help. Seat of the pants: It feels like the engine is accelerating easier. I already have a 2.25 dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40's dumping through the sides (through the rear of sidepipes), so the only exhaust limitation is the manifolds. I am also running an old Edelbrock 2PSP intake, so I am not reaching RPM's high enough to need any more flow.

Awesome.. Glad to hear you got it to work.. If i go with the 12" model, do you think I need the spacer?

Reed #749288 June 05th 2019 1:05 pm
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M

Honestly I dont see how it would be any different than my current stock set-up that wont stay put together... It pulls air from top of the engine anyways...

MXDUDE #749289 June 05th 2019 1:19 pm
There are oblong clips to hold the snorkel together ... FIX IT ! ... it gets clean / cooler air from the front of the van grill not from the top of the engine bay ... both of my 454 vans have this snorkel with a Air Hog donut style air cleaner.

With a open air donut it gets warm/hot dirty air .... not good for mpg. I get 14 mpg on both of my 454's !

Thats why Nascars cant follow ea other very long ... hot dirty air from the front car.... same thing under your dog house.

That snorkel is important to getting good clean cold air .....more clean air thru more HP out the back !

Why do you think K&N (the best after market air cleaner on the market) runs a snorkel off the top of the motor to get closer to the ft of the vehicle ? to get that clean cold air !

Last edited by frscke1; June 05th 2019 1:43 pm.

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
frscke1 #749291 June 05th 2019 2:10 pm
M
MXDUDE Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by frscke1
There are oblong clips to hold the snorkel together ... FIX IT ! ... it gets clean / cooler air from the front of the van grill not from the top of the engine bay ... both of my 454 vans have this snorkel with a Air Hog donut style air cleaner.

With a open air donut it gets warm/hot dirty air .... not good for mpg. I get 14 mpg on both of my 454's !

Thats why Nascars cant follow ea other very long ... hot dirty air from the front car.... same thing under your dog house.

That snorkel is important to getting good clean cold air .....more clean air thru more HP out the back !

Why do you think K&N (the best after market air cleaner on the market) runs a snorkel off the top of the motor to get closer to the ft of the vehicle ? to get that clean cold air !

Who sells the clips or the whole replacement assembly? Dont care which one, just cant find anything new. Really dont wanna go to the yard for that piece....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users