Picked up a Speedway Motors engine hoist and a cheap piece of frustration engine stand, but at $50 each, I couldn't be picky. Wife and I got the 305 unloaded and placed on the stand in the garage yesterday. I started the cleaning process today. Of course the day started off right when one of the C clips holding a wheel on the engine stand went light speed through the garage and a wheel fell off. Luckily no big crash.
I was so tired after cleaning this thing, painting the hitch receiver for the Astro, and doing a ton of tree trimming around the property that I forgot after pics. I'll get them next time. Going to scrub it down a little more, slap some gaskets on, and paint it orange. Then it will be ready to haul.
I cleaned out the spare parts stash from the back. Hope to get the seats, carpet, and plywood out soon.
reading comprehension isn't my strong suit... so the 305 isnt original to the van was it something you owned previously or is this a fingers crossed i hope it works type motor? should look nice all cleaned up and painted
Got the 305 primed and painted. Not the best rattle bomb job ever, but it's good enough to get her going. I will clean all the gasket surfaces that I didn't tape next and start putting it together for the swap. The spray can of orange paint went into cruise control and wouldn't stop spraying. Flikr is down, so when it comes back online I'll upload that video for a chuckle.
Re: Stinky Scott's Chevy Shorty
#748781 May 23rd 2019 8:43 amMay 23rd 2019 8:43 am
Seriously? LOL! I've been drooling over yours non-stop for a couple years now on IG. Thank you!
She has been put on hold the past couple weeks while we sorted a hitch receiver on the Astro and began tearing things out of our second house for the big remodel. Hopefully back to work on her soon as the rain goes away.
Took a little time with the kiddos today and took the bench seat out. No idea what it came out of, but it doesn't recline, so it's going away.
Pulled the rotten greasy carpet out, half million stripped flat head screws and rivets out of the rotten plywood floor, trashed the plywood. Vacuumed all the crud and piles of dead stink bugs out with help from the Goose.
Got a pic of the sheetmetal patch that was poorly welded into the roof vent hole at some point. There is also a large bolt and rubber washer in the front roof section. I want to put another vent in the rear section eventually and undecided on a sunvisor for the front. Might put one in if I can find the old style that lifts really high.
Hopefully we will have time tomorrow to pill the front seats and vacuum up there. Then we can pressure wash all the funk out of the floor and start prepping it for new paneling and flooring.
Cant get the pics to load from my phone, so I will throw them in when I get the kids home from bible school.