Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
Re: Robo's Lowrider Boogie Van
RoboforcerX2000 #747525 April 21st 2019 7:07 pm
OP Offline
Cheers!

Now, before we continue I'd like to explain myself on smth:) It might be annoying to watch my progress when I'm jumping from one to another thing, coming back to finish earlier bits, jumping far ahead and going back again. I have few reasons for that. Main reason is that my van is my daily driver and some parts takes days to finish. I'm working long hours and after work I can do only a small thing or two, just not worth to take a welder out or smth like that. I don't have a garage and working on my van outside at my driveway, therefore working till late would make me a bad noisy neighbour. I'm not banging millionaire's daughter so each part for my van has to wait for my wages check and while I'm waiting I'm doing smth else.
Before I start building smth I already have a 3D image of complete thing spinning in my head with broken down list of all the pieces and A to Z steps so be patient plz, everything will come into places, eventually:)

If we cool with that, then let's get back to my dash again. Yet again, not the last time... LOL

After resin on stretched material was set I put 2 layers of fiberglass on the inside:

[Linked Image]

Then I could take out MDF supports, it will not warp anymore:

[Linked Image]

Before going any further I had to test fit my electronics and test fit the piece in my van to make sure there was no warp. With tiny adjustments all is good:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Biggest headwreck was filler/sanding session, damn... Couldn't use any power tools, all manually by hand, and had to take extra time to make it perfect as this is the piece I'll be staring at all the time when driving.

[Linked Image]

Sprayed some color, clear satin, put it together, installed in the van to admire my work and took it out again:) Before it goes in permanently I have to make a female plug connector to suit existing one for original dash and wire it as much as as my knowledge allows it. It will be finished wiring when I go to my brother in-laws who is a proper mechanic. And I'll go there when I have my car alarm installed so we can do it all in one day. Few more pics before it went out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
AdSense long
RoboforcerX2000 #747527 April 21st 2019 7:34 pm
OP Offline
When I have a full day off to myself at a weekend I can boost up my bodywork.
Before I start my gullwing doors I have to cut that ugly rain gutter so let's start there. Also I have to weld and fix panels around my windshield so it make sense to prepare front gutter before I do that. Just in case I'll be stuck with windshield.
After cutting front gutter off I ended up with top roof panel tapered therefore too thin to butt-weld it. I never did that before, also welding body panels is kinda new to me. I had to put a half an inch strip to join two panels together at the front. Sides were fine as I was more careful on cutting and sanding... Ran out of gas for my MIG and nowhere to get it on Easter weekend I ended up using flux core which is much more messy. And that combined with my yet to be perfected welding skillz will require some filler and sanding session. Here's the start of it and and half cut van, I could do only half the van in a day and a half. Now that I know what to do the rest will go faster:)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
RoboforcerX2000 #747540 April 22nd 2019 7:55 am
old hand
old hand
We don't mind at all! That dash is still the coolest thing! It turned out great!

Also you are a madman doing significant bodywork like shaving the gutters while daily driving this! You're nuts! haha!

[Linked Image]
tuner4life #747564 April 22nd 2019 9:38 pm
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tuner4life
You're nuts! haha!

Aww... what a compliment! A virtual hug? :))
Yep, cutting gutters and driving bit me already. I should have checked the weather first for the next few days or do an smaller section and finish it completely. Now there's only first filler session with some gaps and not siliconed around my windshield. All doors has worn rubber seal as well. No point changing them now as I'll be making rear and side gullwing doors and front ones will get suicide door hidden hinges. And it was raining all night and all day so let's say I had some "extra" drips in my interior...

RoboforcerX2000 #747569 April 23rd 2019 7:17 am
Old Timer
Old Timer
Dash is definitely a nice job. Great work.

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
2020 Chevy van Sapphire Sweet.
Club Vannerz.
vanninvanner@comcast.net
RoboforcerX2000 #747596 April 23rd 2019 9:53 pm
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Nice build! The bumpers look awesome and the interior is coming out sweet. Love the red I have a similar color throughout mine. You have some balls driving that low! Very cool

RoboforcerX2000 #747602 April 23rd 2019 11:43 pm
OP Offline
Cheers lads, appreciate the heads up!
People say the older you get, the lower your balls drop:) My front is already roughly my riding height I was looking for. I'd like to drop another good half an inch but it would be illegal due to my lower A-arms. In British Columbia regulations say that lowest part of your vehicle cannot be lower than the bottom of your rims. My tires are ~2 inch and I have around 2 and a half inch from the ground to lower A-arms. From the ground to chassis' crossmember I have ~3 1/2 inches, smth around that from the top of the tire to wheel wells inside my fenders. So when airbags goes in next year I can drop my front fully on the floor without major mods. I'm waiting for my brother-in law to help my lower the back, that's coming shortly. I'll take one overload and next smallest leaf spring and that will drop ~1 inch in leaf thickness plus whatever extra sag I will have due to weakened leaf springs. And where leafs are bolted at their front I can drill another mounting hole in the bracket around 3 inches higher what will raise my axle by another inch and a half. Altogether my back will drop ~2 1/2 inches and that's not even close to what I want LOL. My front has dropped ~5 inches for final riding height so I want to drop my back 4-5 inches for it to be just a tad above level compared to the front. But here's a problem for me to solve- atm from my axle to the frame there's only ~3 1/2 inches and after 2 1/2 rear drop I'll have only 1 inch of suspension travel. And that's not even to a rubber stopper on the frame, that's metal to metal... Then we can revisit our chat about low balls LOL
So I ain't gonna have my back as low as I want to for some time plus future airbags for rear end wouldn't make any sense. I need a C-cut on my frame before airbags... Now I go get some beer and go brainstorming how can I make that happen on the van that I'm driving every single day:)

RoboforcerX2000 #747606 April 24th 2019 12:15 am
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Well, LOW balls would be better than NO balls I reckon. 😂

RoboforcerX2000 #747832 April 30th 2019 4:32 am
veteran
veteran
Bring that bad boy out to Vantopia at Equity Alberta at the first weekend in may-june. Would love to see it.

Shanning P.
Alberta, Canada
[Linked Image]
1991 Dodge Ram 250
Member of Vandits VC. Calgary
Stay Weird!
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747