Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Re: Robo's Lowrider Boogie Van
RoboforcerX2000 #746557 March 25th 2019 12:56 am
OP Offline
Oh, I was busy this weekend, did loads on my van:)

Got my new wheels and before putting them on I grinded a bit of lower A-arms. Common problem of knocking wheel weights with drop spindles in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That helped a lot, but didn't eliminate the problem so on tmy drop spindles I welded 10mm spacer to limit my steering endpoints a wee bit. My best guess it limited only by one or two degrees as it is barely noticeable when driving.

[Linked Image]

Tires are 205/50 R17 stretched on 9" wide 0 offset rims. Now the van looks and sits exactly the way I was imagining, minus the back which still waiting for the drop:)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was waiting to swap my driver's seat until I finish with my steering wheel and I glad that I did. If I make it non adjustable forward/back then either backrest was hitting steering wheel while swiveling or I couldn't reach pedals. So I had to weld 2 sets of seat sliders criss cross for the seat to be adjustable 4 ways. Forward/back for distance to the pedals and to clear steering wheel while swiveling, and left/right to clear door pillar while swiveling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
AdSense long
RoboforcerX2000 #746561 March 25th 2019 3:12 am
OP Offline
Forgot to mention smth about the wheels. New rims are 9" width and outside of the rim at the front is deal plum with the outside of my fender. Even when I have nearly an inch from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender I'm afraid that when hit a bigger bump on the road my fender might touch the tire, especially when wheels are turned a bit. So I cut a bit from the inside of my front fenders:

[Linked Image]

Measured my stance and front is 1 inch wider than my back, half an inch on each side. At the back I have nearly an inch from each tire to back fender plum. I thought I'll get half an inch spacers for the back for the stance to be the same as the front but couldn't source out half inch longer wheel studs. I actually did, but paying $10 for a stud is a bit meh... So I ordered 1 inch wheel spacers for the back for 60 bucks including studs. Now my stance will be one inch wider at the back than the front. I'm not entirely sure whether I'll like it yet, we'll see when I'll get them in the post and put them on.

And once again back on my dash, not the last time anyway:)
To my front section I glued carbon rod pins. Front section will sit in the pins to align and will be screw on top to main dash.

[Linked Image]

I ripped the tights of my wife... ehm, you don't need to know whole 2 minutes of saucy details, all you need to know is that this material is perfect for resin molding like speaker boxes etc:) I glued the edges with CA, made cross supports and tacked with hot glue. Then pushed in fiberglass pieces nearly 4 inches in (this depth kinda looks more appealing to me personally) and tacked again with hot glue.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once that was done I soaked material in resin, taped it in main dash and had to drive my van like this for 2 days. I couldn't do the piece out of main dash because it is flimsy and deforming due to stretch, it just had to be where it sits until resin sets. And my resin sets fully after 48 hours.

[Linked Image]

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
RoboforcerX2000 #747002 April 05th 2019 2:15 am
OP Offline
While dash is waiting for smth else I can do my grill mods.
I inverted center bracket and welded extra piece at the bottom. I need it to be closer to my radiator to have space wanted for the grill:

[Linked Image]

Then I made some fiberglass and carbon/kevlar plate:

[Linked Image]

Cut out one section at the time and using 5min epoxy started glueing 2.5in fiberglass strips:

[Linked Image]

When all was done I put the grill back in the van and glued thin MDF supports using hot glue. This way it will not deform for the next step:

[Linked Image]

I bent pieces of wire (they will hold my mesh), glued them on and with resin glued extra strip of carbon/kevlar cloth. It will hold my wire in place and will further connect fiberglass strip to plastic grill:

[Linked Image]

While supports were still in I sprayed around some low expanding foam. It will give some rigidity to fiberglass plates for sanding:

[Linked Image]

Only then supports could come out and filler/sanding sessions could start:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sprayed few coats of primer, cut my honeycomb mesh and secured in place using wire pieces:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Using wire system now I can take my mesh out when the van rolls into spray booth, whenever that's happening....
I won't put my grill back in till after this weekend as there's more cutting to do on the van but hold your breath, it won't be long:)

RoboforcerX2000 #747003 April 05th 2019 2:36 am
OP Offline
Originally my van had wider stance at the front than the rear. Measured between front disc brakes and rear drum brakes, front was wider by 1 inch, half an inch each side. And that was like that when I got it, even before drop spindles went in. Dunno why is that so, but is was annoying me visually. With my new wheels front tires are plum with front fenders and at the rear I had nearly an inch to go each side to be the same looks as the front. I thought I'll put half an inch spacers for the stance to be the same as the front but didn't want to pay 10 bucks per stud plus spacers so I found a pair of 1 inch spacers for 60 bucks with studs pressed in and lugnuts included:

[Linked Image]

And I'm glad than I went for 1 inch spacers rather than half an inch. I think it looks better this way coz now rear wheels are plum to rear fenders, same as my front:)
Pics before and after:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RoboforcerX2000 #747004 April 05th 2019 2:43 am
OP Offline
One more picture. That back needs to be lowered ASAP... can't find a weekend that I'm not working, but it'll happen, soon... :))

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RoboforcerX2000; April 05th 2019 2:44 am. Reason: Grammar mistakes due to beer...

RoboforcerX2000 #747013 April 05th 2019 8:00 am
old hand
old hand
Jeez you are good at custom fabrication! The dash and now the grille both look great!

I know you just bought new wheels, but, might I suggest replacing the backs with some that are the correct backspacing/width.. Those spacers scare me (And that is coming from a tuner guy). These vans are too heavy for spacers imo. Plus you could fit a much wider wheel/tire combo back there ;)

[Linked Image]
RoboforcerX2000 #747075 April 06th 2019 9:08 pm
OP Offline
Cheers bro! I kinda feel your fear/discomfort about them spacers, I'm a bit like that as well, they don't look that trustworthy to me either. I would feel more secure with longer studs.
When I was looking for my wheels I was hoping to find same wheels with two width measurements to have wider at the back and not to have spacers, but when I saw these it was love at first sight and for $152CAD I got married instantly:) Unfortunately they come only in 9" width. The van is heavy indeed, but it will become lighter eventually. Not much, but still. I'll make fiberglass gullwing rear and side barn doors, make fiberglass front and rear bumpers and probably my hood as well. Roof will get 25 polycarbonate windows and carbon/kevlar interior door panels. My best guess when I finish my mods it'll lose nearly half a ton, like a good ass of a wife that was sent to the gym :))

RoboforcerX2000 #747238 April 10th 2019 11:11 pm
OP Offline
Before putting my grill back on I sprayed satin black all that goes behind it, including radiator:

[Linked Image]

And there it is:)

[Linked Image]

RoboforcerX2000 #747242 April 11th 2019 7:49 am
Old Timer
Old Timer
Looks nice! Good job.

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
2020 Chevy van Sapphire Sweet.
Club Vannerz.
vanninvanner@comcast.net