Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Stereo Wiring Suggestion
#746292 March 17th 2019 4:43 pm
J
OP Offline
J
I'm not happy with the wiring coming out of my aftermarket Stereo and could use some suggestions on routing. The amplifier is mounted under the drivers seat and powers the Dash Speakers I installed. Front speakers in the door and rear speakers near the rear cargo doors come off new aftermarket stereo harness.
The wiring from the stereo is routed around the engine "doghouse" cover then under the carpet to the amplifier inputs. Amplifier outputs are routed alongside the same wires back to the speaker harness for the front dash speakers.

Amplifier power is run down the left side of the engine and under the carpet. It looks like a tangled mess right now.

AdSense long
Re: Stereo Wiring Suggestion
JDouglas #746376 March 19th 2019 9:48 am
veteran
veteran
If you weren't 4 hours from me, I'd help you wire the thing up.

Check out YouTube for car stereo installation tips.

I would suggest pulling everything and starting from scratch. It seems like a pain when you think about it, but it will be worth it in the end. Try routing your wiring to the doors, across the underside of dash. Then follow your door frame to the floor. Keep as much as you can hidden under carpet or door sill plates.

Feel free to post a pic of what you have going on and I can make some more suggestions.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
JDouglas #746839 April 01st 2019 2:16 am
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
Agreed, it sounds like the best bet will be a total retire of the system.
I also agree it need to be ran out to the door, down along the foot well and to the amp.
Keep the power, ground, and switched wires separate from the RCA wires as the can cause interference in the form of static and or hum....also make sure your various grounds are to bare metal and maybe even consider running a thin (18ga) wire from ground point to ground point to help kill any potential whines.....

Wish you where closer, I miss doing this kind of work.

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
Uncle_Fester #746979 April 03rd 2019 9:07 pm
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Uncle_Fester
Agreed, it sounds like the best bet will be a total retire of the system.
I also agree it need to be ran out to the door, down along the foot well and to the amp.
Keep the power, ground, and switched wires separate from the RCA wires as the can cause interference in the form of static and or hum....also make sure your various grounds are to bare metal and maybe even consider running a thin (18ga) wire from ground point to ground point to help kill any potential whines.....

Wish you where closer, I miss doing this kind of work.

Hi Uncle,
I have an 04 savana 3500 extended. I had a whine (befiore I somehow blew my cheap 4 ch amp) I now have 2 Memphis amps that I do not want any problems with as they werent cheap. I had a whine or some ground loop noise before. I noticed your 218 awg ground to ground comment. could you explain a bit more what you mean by that?? do you mean from battery to ground point. (I drilled a hole in a support, ground it down to bare metal and bolted my grounds to that but just one amp. curious about what u meant as i said did have whine before
Thanks.
St Paddy

JDouglas #746981 April 04th 2019 5:45 am
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
Let me try....
Using the ground/s you have, run a 18ga wire from battery negative to radio ground, amp ground, and any other grounds you have for the stereo system pieces. This makes sure all ground points are “the same” and reduces the chance of a ground loop (whine) dramatically. Basically this makes the stereo THINK all the grounds are shared by one grounding bolt, while keeping the actual ground wires as short as possible. Always keep the ground for each component with in 24” of the part.
I hope that helps....

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
JDouglas #751906 August 26th 2019 6:48 am
stranger
stranger
Any follow up? How did you solve the problem?

Exco

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but there are only a few things of which I know a lot.
Excoastie #751924 August 26th 2019 10:02 pm
J
OP Offline
J
Exco, I've been dealing with a rust issue over the rear tires and I've not had time to do the rewire on the stereo yet. Thanks for asking.

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rich11304, Maggpratt89, theGiggityGig, B150 SHIFT head, Gruff
12716 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)