electric and flex fans
#745459 February 20th 2019 2:22 am
M
Matman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
hi.......Its been a very long and very hot summer here down under, especially in Qld.
Now that my G10 Shorty is close to being back on the road I`d like to make sure it doesn`t have any overheating issues.
I have already fitted a new radiator, problem is the original fan sounds like a swamp boat propellor.
So I have been wondering ing .. should I fit a flex fan?
Also when the A/C is regassed and running maybe I should look at fitting a twin electrin fan setup, one to kick in for normal running and the second when the A/c is on.
Has anyone gone this route? I`d be interested to know if its worth doing
thanks

Re: electric and flex fans
Matman #745464 February 20th 2019 7:01 am
veteran
veteran
I've done it but my reasons were to give me more access to the motor and to show off the shiny bits I've added. The old fan was working fine the new ones work well too. I don't drive it enough or in hot weather to tell you which works better.

79 chevy G30 cobra camper conversion.
[Linked Image]
Matman #745479 February 20th 2019 1:55 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Our old Ford has dual fans and they are great. The first is operated by a Flex-a-lite variable speed controller. The second comes on with a regular thermostat and/or AC override. Both can be turned on manually as well. I also run a "delay off" timer set for 15 seconds.
They are really, really great in the heat!!

Pic of the Flex-a-lite controller mounted on the front of my extra relay box:
[Linked Image]

To the right on the box are the bleed diodes for the fans.
I know ... overkill.

Last edited by CatFish; February 20th 2019 1:56 pm.
Matman #745508 February 21st 2019 7:05 am
M
Matman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Thanks guys, yes I`ll be fitting the dual electric fans, if I get a positive vibe about the flex fans I`ll go that route as well. thanks again, much appreciated.

Matman #745514 February 21st 2019 9:56 am
old hand
old hand
x2 on that flex-a-lite controller Catfish mentioned. I got one by his recommendation and I love it. I was planning on having a manual override switch inside to turn the fans on in case the controller failed, but it has worked so well I never bothered. The soft start feature is great too! Keeps the strain off of the electrical system.

[Linked Image]
Matman #745537 February 21st 2019 5:47 pm
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Interesting to note that no vehicle comes from the factory with a "flex" fan. Take the hint.

Tucson-it's a dry heat...like an oven
Matman #745538 February 21st 2019 6:08 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Please.... Never use a Flex Fan

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
Matman #745550 February 21st 2019 11:53 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Looking at stock fan blades, there is no Foil, no thickness distribution, just bent and angled metal designed to pull and push air. it works, it is effective, yet it is hardly an Ideal method for moving air efficiently.

To say it would be ideal, would be akin to saying airplane wings could just be flat. Same thickness front to back with no foil, no shape, all they need to do is be angled upwards to give enough lift to keep the plane aloft.

Now is it worth the effort to engineer a fan blade with thickness flow, like an Airplane wing?

Well, they likely could get more airflow for less noise and power consumed, but it would be a lot of work, perhaps too much mass.

Enter the electric plastic bladed fan. The impeller blades on many are not simply angled, they have foils, thickness flow, and perhaps even a skythe style shape, to better grab onto the air, and either pull it through or push it through the resistance of the alternator, AC condenser, transmission cooler and then across the engine.

So which is more effective?

Well which could be much more effective, no doubt the well designed electrical fan with a tight fitting shroud so all the fans flow is sucked through or pushed through the radiator.

I am a Fan enthusiast. Look at the engineering which goes into some Computer Fans, Like Noctua's latest 120MM fan.

[Linked Image]

Look at all the little enhancements, like the 'flow aceleration channels' or stepped inlet design to make laminar flow into turbulent flow so the blades can grab more air effectively. Then there is the ultra tight fan tip to shroud clearance, or the inner surface microstructures, and the very mounting designed to cushion the whole thing in soft silicone to limit noise and vibration transmission.

This particualr fan is designed for both good airflow with little to no restriction, and also be quite effective when it is forcing air through a restriction, a pusher style fan. They have fans designed more for one or the other.

Do the radiator electric fans employ any design similarities as these Noctua's, I can't really say, I've yet to fondle one.

I do think the whole automotive engine fan design could be vasty improved upon.

With the computer fan comparison, I have many such fans. Some of them consume 2x as much electricity to move the same amount of air, with no restriction and 1/4 the air if there is a restriction and this is all accomplishe with better electric motor design and the shape of the fan blades. Surely there is a lot of cross over.

Each 25 amps an alternator has to make is said to consume 1 HP from the engine, so a high power electric fan told to be spinning fast, is still putting a load on the engine. As much as a metal fan attached to water pump through a viscous coupling? Likely not.

I've not really read good things about electric radiator fan longevity, which is one reason I have not pursued adding one, and I am also bit of an impeller design snob.

Moving air might be fine and dandy with an angled flat plans spinning on an axis, but I want a nicely shaped foil with an outline designed either to scavenge air in a puller scenario, or push it against resistance, and I do not think anyone has bothered refining designs to have excellent airflow characteristics for lesser amperage consumption at lesser RPMS and making less noise in the process. i think they just rely on availability of sheer RPM, and heck with efficiency of design.

So if it seems little more advanced than the stock flat metal angle bladed metal fan, devoid of an airfoil, I'll leave it stock. for now.

Matman #745568 February 22nd 2019 5:27 pm
veteran
veteran
I think they have made a bit of an effort to incorporate some of the things you mention. This is a typical modern electric radiator fan for automotive applications...

[Linked Image]

79 chevy G30 cobra camper conversion.
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod