Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Re: Robo's Lowrider Boogie Van
RoboforcerX2000 #743354 November 30th 2018 12:57 am
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
Just about anything is better than that silly, marshmallowy thing GM put on.
I put a Grant #969 on mine... Couldn't be happier.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
AdSense long
RoboforcerX2000 #743356 November 30th 2018 10:21 am
old hand
old hand
Cool idea with the seat!

[Linked Image]
Rusty Pancelode #743377 November 30th 2018 10:01 pm
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode

I put a Grant #969 on mine...

I had to Google it as never heard of them:) Some time in the future I'll make my own steering wheel, but for now cheap chinesium will do.
Here's my idea for my steering wheel- centerpiece similar to my new one and for the rim weld together a timing chain (coz it's thicker, double links) and encase it in clear casting resin or acrylic. It would look like chain inside glass. My worries about that is temperature variations, expanding and contracting metal might crack resin rim. Leaving the chain open is very risky and I don't want to do that. From what I heard where I live if cops see you driving with chain link steering wheel they'll take your vehicle off the road immediately. Apparently it's too dangerous coz your pinky might get stuck between the links...

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
RoboforcerX2000 #743405 December 01st 2018 10:00 pm
OP Offline
Back to my leaking heater core. The problem was me being a bit of a moron sometimes... See the pic how one tube is thicker in diameter and tapers to a smaller diameter? So apparently when I put my thicker hose back on last time I put a clamp too far forward, on a thinner section. Therefore it wasn't clamped properly and collant was squirting towards my heater box and leaking inside my van. Geez...

[Linked Image]

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
RoboforcerX2000 #743438 December 03rd 2018 12:13 pm
veteran
veteran
Glad it was a simple fix though. I went through the wife's entire heating/cooling system in her 2000 XJ last year. What a pain in the arse. New radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, and heater core. I bought a spare HVAC box from a friend that was parting one out, as you have to pull the whole dash in those things to replace the heater core, so I just swapped the whole box. Still a huge pain pulling the dash. UGH!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
RoboforcerX2000 #743471 December 04th 2018 12:34 am
OP Offline
I pulled the dash out to modify and prepare for flocking so while it's out I get my heating sorted as well. Not much pain anymore, after pulling out and putting back in few times I can do it with my hands behind my back before I finish my beer:) I'll an update on it shortly.

RoboforcerX2000 #743548 December 07th 2018 12:33 am
OP Offline
Got my steering wheel hub adapter:

[Linked Image]

Put it on, all looks good, diameter is the same as column

[Linked Image]

Before mounting the wheel I noticed that my horn switch is not gonna fit. The nut ends right at the wheel's flat base and the switch is ~1/2" thickness. So I have to either modify/DIY the switch or make a half inch spacer. No big deal, dunno what I'll do yet.

[Linked Image]

I wasn't sure about smaller steering wheel but I have to say it is really cool:) I drove only few miles so far but it is definitely growing on me. The next question would be whether it will obstruct the view of my screens in the dash. I'll find that out when I have my dash back in.

RoboforcerX2000 #743549 December 07th 2018 1:24 am
OP Offline
Now my dash:)
On the left side of the dash I cut a fiberglass plate and glued it on with epoxy. Instead of putting back on that piece of plastic to cover, it will be flocked and later I'll make a nice carbon/kevlar plate to cover. As my lights switch knob I'll have a piston from 26cc weed eater. Same pistons will be as inside door handle knobs and gear shifter knob on a welder chain, eventually:) I filled that piston with resin and microballoons, drilled a hole in the center for the switch and two holes on the sides which I tapped for M5 grub screws. Also beside it I'll have my power switch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In order to have enough space for my gauge/screens/airbag monitor I have to move my heating control system down. It did not want to fit due to a bracket that holds steering column so I chopped it a bit. Got rid of it's light as well, I know where it's gonna be and what button does what...LOL Using existing cover as a template I cut a piece from fiberglass plate to fit and using CA superglue and baking soda tacked it in place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then I could take out the dash again, for a gazillionth time... From inside I put a bead of epoxy with microballoons to hold that fiberglass pale but I think it will need a small strip of fiberglass cloth as well. I just don't want it to crack at the joint when the dash is flocked. Also using CA+baking soda I started to fill little holes that were there for vacuum forming that vinyl on that I peeled off.

[Linked Image]

With PET plastic covered speaker holes so my filler on the outside doesn't push through:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So here's what my dash is gonna look like. 6in1 digital gauge in the center, 2 screens each side (rear view screen will be at rear view mirror's place), power switch on the left, push start button on the right . Them 2 pieces of cardboard are my imaginary 5in1 digital airbag+air tank monitor/controller and airbag switches. The real stuff is stuck somewhere in the post as our postmen are on strike atm. I got plenty to do before that anyway:)

[Linked Image]

P.S. If anybody has a question, critique, beer, concern or just a thought, speak your mind plz. I can make anything from anything but I'm only a self taught DIY mechanic so there's a chance that I can miss an important detail or smth:)

RoboforcerX2000 #743576 December 07th 2018 8:28 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
Really cool... Looking forward to seeing more.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rich11304, Maggpratt89, theGiggityGig, B150 SHIFT head, Gruff