Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Robo's Lowrider Boogie Van
#742852 November 18th 2018 12:18 am
OP Offline
Ahoy there!
Finally I found new love of my life and me being me (nothing is good enough out of the box) have to pimp it. It's 92' Chevy G20 with 5l V8:)

[Linked Image]

As I don't have a garage and still most of the stuff doing myself it is gonna be a few years project, but eventually it will be unrecognizable. I have a list of stuff that I want to do to my baby and everything has to be one at the time coz it is my daily driver. Here's my plans:
1.Less is more. Hide all hinges, gullwing side and rear doors, flush mount door handles etc, very minimalistic design.
2. Flat/mat red paint job.
3. Digital gauges, LCD screens in the dash with cams as rear view mirrors.
4. The lower I go the more she likes it:) Smaller wheels, 3in drop spindles + leaf spring shackles, airbags later with 4link suspension. I want to ride as low as possible without frame mods.
5. Sunroof windows, 25pcs altogether.
6. Cedar strip canoe style interior, red flocked dash with carbon/kevlar molded parts.
7. Some engine mods- camshafts, better carb etc.
8. Magnaflow or similar exhaust.
9. Have some beer and a lot of fun while DIYing:)

Let's start tidying up the bumpers. Here's what original front one looks like:

[Linked Image]

I got rid of side brackets and cut the middle ones a bit. Made incisions in the bumper so I can slide it in the brackets to have a nice 1/4" gap from the bumper to the body. Also had to cut a bit in and fold the ends towards the body as bumper lines does not match body lines:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tacked it then welded everything, as well as all bolt holes. Bondo on, primer on, and it is gonna stay like this until it rolls in to bodyshop for painty job. Here's what it looks like now:

[Linked Image]

Rear one was much worse than the front one- sticking out 2" out the back and 3" each side, I had to shorten it whole 6 inches! Did same style as the front one and mounted white LED strip for plates' lights:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also in the pics you the change of wheels. Instead of existing R16s I put 205/55/R17, what lowered the van by 1":)

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
AdSense long
Re: Robo's Lowrider Boogie Van
RoboforcerX2000 #742854 November 18th 2018 12:39 am
OP Offline
Getting my dash ready for flocking. To peel that fugly vinyl off is a bit of nightmare...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On the same note, made myself a tool for pulling body panels:)

[Linked Image]

If it's broken- I'll fix it! If it's not- I'll break it to figure it out how it works so I can fix it.
RoboforcerX2000 #742865 November 18th 2018 4:32 am
O
old hand
old hand
O
Nice work.

1975 Ford E-150 shorty (sold)
2016 Ram Promaster shorty
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 5.7l
1984 Ford E-150
RoboforcerX2000 #742893 November 18th 2018 7:57 pm
journeyman
journeyman
I like your bumper mods. Great work. I'm interested in what you'll do next.

RoboforcerX2000 #742897 November 18th 2018 8:19 pm
OP Offline
Cheers lads!

Next, I got rid of those big bulky mirrors and replaced them with a motorbike ones. Once I get my cameras I'll tidy up even them ones. I was tempting to get rid of mirrors altogether but reading regulations I'll probably leave them on just not to start an argument with cops... It says that you *have* to have mirrors, but doesn't say whether it can be a digital (cam+screen) or it has to be an actual glass. It's kinda grey area but in a small'ish town you don't want to get in to bad books with cops, especially when your ride will be recognized everywhere:))

[Linked Image]

Some stuff I did before I signed up here- floors at the front. Grinded all the rust, sprayed and glued industrial rubber mat:

[Linked Image]

And as long as I have my dash out, I fixed my heater box, cleaned from rust and painted blower housing. My motor was still working but was way too noisy, couldn't enjoy the music of V8, so I decided to replace it. The one I got from Lordco had fins too tall and not wanting to wait till tomorrow for the right one I swapped the old fins to a new motor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RoboforcerX2000 #742928 November 19th 2018 4:21 pm
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
Since you're already there, it would be a good time to replace the heater core, too.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
RoboforcerX2000 #742933 November 19th 2018 6:08 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Nice, Going to be Sweeeeeeeet

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
Rusty Pancelode #742947 November 20th 2018 2:23 am
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rusty_Pancelode
Since you're already there, it would be a good time to replace the heater core, too.

I kinda put everything back together already. It is my daily driver so whatever I started in the morning at a weekend I have to put it back as it was. Except that I'm driving with no dash on atm. Was pulled over by cops next day I took my dash out and got a comment "hm, what an interesting interior..." I explained my pimp process and showed them that everything is plugged in and working, all is good:)
Speaking of heater core, more likely I'll have to replace it whether I want it or not. Started the van in the morning and saw some coolant dripping from the spot where one of the hoses connected to a heater core. Presuming that the hose is cracked at the end (heater core did not look corroded, looked more like new one), after work I chopped a bit and tightened. Still leaking... It wasn't leaking before I took everything apart and I didn't forced or bent anything, but obviously it was my doing.
I have aluminium brazing rods and I can find that crack using pressure, but for what they cost it's not worth the hassle, I'll just replace it.

RoboforcerX2000 #742949 November 20th 2018 9:53 am
old hand
old hand
No windows with those tiny mirrors is going to be a trip. You are braver than me!

Looking good so far though. I like what you did with the bumpers.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530