by MufflerMan Mike - March 27th 2024 5:15 pm
1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How are the Japanese getting their Dodge vans so low?
#742262 November 02nd 2018 4:03 pm
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I’ve seen all the photos that everyone else has seen. Other than some coil over shocks, shorter leaf spring packs, thick sway bars and probably custom front coil springs they basically look stock. Those modifications will only score you a couple inches. Custom machined spindles? It’s possible, but unlikely. Modified control arms? Doesn’t look like it. Relocated leaf spring hangers? I don’t even see how this would be possible on these vans without a lot of cutting, grinding, fabricating and welding. They probably don’t have access to anything we aren’t aware of. Other than being really, really, really, ridiculously clever...........

The Japanese are known for their ingenuity and pragmatism. I can’t imagine they would chop up a bunch of parts or sections of frame and spend a TON of time and money trying to find the best way to put it back together JUST to lower the van. That’s a lot of work just to change the ride height of a vehicle that will STILL be top-heavy. PLUS you’d have to worry about the reliability and safety of a vehicle fitted with modified parts that would be competing on a race track with other drivers and spectators. It doesn’t seem like a good investment of time and resources. The rear axle can be flipped, but I haven’t seen any photos of a Dajiban with a flipped axle. Sure, it’s easy to flip the axle. Now the rear is dropped 6”. How do you drop the front to match without doing all that cutting and welding I just mentioned? How the H3LL are they getting these vans so low? How are they getting that extra couple inches without modified/experimental parts or hundreds of hours of labor?

I crawled underneath my ‘96 Dodge Ram Wagon shop van and poked around a little bit. Then I had a lookie-loo inside the van, specifically the floors. I’m pretty sure I have figured it out. My guess is based not on what we CAN see but what we CANNOT see. Or, rather, what we aren’t looking at. Are you ready? I said ARE YOU READY?!

Drum roll please!!

O

M

G

W

T

F

R

O

F

L

M

A

O

They’re body-dropping them. Don’t even try to tell me I’m wrong. Just kidding, I’d love to see what other people think.

Last edited by tyler_bros; November 03rd 2018 2:41 pm.
Re: How are the Japanese getting their Dodge vans so low?
tyler_bros #744443 January 11th 2019 7:41 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
I remember one vanner here, used Dodge Dakota lowering spindles to drop his van like 4” and then used shorter spring on top of that for like 6” total drop up front.
I am sure it was a first gen B series van (73-78) van, but it might help with ideas and maybe part numbers too....
I wish I could remember the banners name or the vans name to make searching easier. Sorry.

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
tyler_bros #744444 January 11th 2019 7:51 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
Some pretty good info in this thread, might be of help.

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/479117/1.html

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
tyler_bros #744625 January 20th 2019 1:34 pm
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I finally found photos that show possible evidence of a body drop on a Dajiban. I saved them, marked the areas in question and then...could not post them here because the format is not allowed. Here is a link - https://www.facebook.com/576602479164909/posts/1177711949053956/

Check the photos of the front suspension. Then look at the little outrigger supports that connect the frame rails to front support bar. Notice the gap? BODY DROP

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747