New/ Used Promaster Wagon?
#741096 September 30th 2018 4:13 pm
T
TABrinn Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
My 98 3500 Maxi has terminal cancer in the roof. What Idiot designed the ribs and channels in the roof to pool water deserves to be hung by the thumbs!

What are you guys' thoughts on the Promaster? I've seen plenty of used ones, but they are all panel vans. Maybe the dealer will be able to track down a passenger one I like at a reasonable price. Looking for a Hi-Top, Extended WB, diesel, 3500. 12-15 passenger. Any Promaster owners here?

The front end is fugly, but I'm thinking if I can get my hands on a Fiat Ducato front clip, it'd help massively. I'd do a badge swap and all. The Promaster is based off the pre-2014 Fiat Ducato, Citroen Relay, Peugeot Boxer vans. In 2014, these European vans all got facelifts that look far better... at least to me. I've seen the older Dodge Sprinters get rebadged as Mercedes and they are indistinguishable unless you decode the VIN.

If I do bite the bullet for a new one, I want to rack up 300K or last at least the next 20 years. I'm doing my homework on this one for sure.

Re: New/ Used Promaster Wagon?
TABrinn #741157 October 02nd 2018 1:54 pm
T
TABrinn Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller???

I realize most people here are classic van aficionados, however, I thought someone would have some experience with the big 3's newer euro-style vans. All the big car mag reviews like Car and Driver seem to be very biased to their big advertisers over the last few decades especially.

They all fawn over the Ford Transit van. In Europe this van has had decades of development. The Mk7 Transit has a nice looking front end that mirrors the looks of the F150 truck.

The Dodge Promaster is based off of the European Fiat Ducato. It is front wheel drive, which allows for a lower floor for easier passenger access and cargo loading. Both American versions are really ugly but if I can get hold of the European front clip, possibly from Mexico, a few hours south, and both could be made into nice looking vans and the customizable appeal increases 10 fold!

TABrinn #741169 October 02nd 2018 8:06 pm
R
R
My only input is 2 days of driving the mid roof cargo version (Don't think it was the long wheelbase) on a company house building trip to Mexico last year. The gas engine had good power and it steered well without any funny sight-lines from the drivers seat. Suspension did well bouncing along with 50+ sheets of plywood in the back while going up and down big hills with giant potholes and such (Tijauna does not have good roads!). A coworker of mine just got the small one and it looks great.
Another coworker has the big transit van, he's got it decked out for both carpentry stuff, and has fold down bed stuff built into all of it so he can go rock climbing on the weekends. Good stuff!

- Rich

1991 Dodge B250 Zephyr Conversion. "Bi-frost" 89,000-ish original miles and counting.
- 318TBI; has headwork and other bolt on upgrades. Runs strong and smooth!
- Powertrax locker
- 3" aluminum radiator.
- Rear air springs, rebuilt suspension, steering stabilizer.
RichardB #741187 October 03rd 2018 10:57 am
T
TABrinn Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Yes, Richard, I like the looks of many of the small (micro) vans. Why the manufacturers feel the need for a whole new design for the big vans is a mystery to me! You'd think they'd save a pile of money of they used many of the same parts across different models... leading to bigger profits rather that a more affordable vehicle of course. The same front end, grill headlights, bumpers, hood, etc, with a bigger box. Should be a no-brainer!

I have a lead on a 2013 Sprinter for an unbelievable, fire-sale, type price. Hopefully everything works out, and its not some sort of scam. I'm always a little nervous buying stuff online off sites like CL.

I will be sad to see my Ram Maxi-Van go. It was nice to not have to worry about every ding, nick, scuff, etc. I bought it off a government auction website, as a retired service vehicle. Ran like a champ... still does! The paint was all scraped up where they had carelessly removed all the decals and that era of Dodge had peely paint adding insult to injury. Since it was such a terrible paint job, I didn't feel bad spray painting some cool flames down the sides to jazz it up. I had big plans to customize it, going with the Dajiban look, but lowering components are unavailable for the HD 1 ton suspension, unless I went full custom $$$. Then I considered a 4BT swap, some H1 hummer wheels and an OD green military themed paint job... ready for the zombie apocalypse.

I have 2 other classic car projects, a fix and flip explorer, and my current daily driver, all in desperate need of attention and the funds that might otherwise go toward hopping up the van. Of course I have kids (#7 on the way!), mortgage, college, bills to pay, etc, etc, etc, that need those funds first. They way I'm going, I'll likely have to wait for retirement when I'm too old and busted up, to get around to finishing any of my projects!

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)