Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: idler arm washers
nikothenomad #741077 September 29th 2018 10:43 am
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Interesting stuff 68. I would have to say that my limited experience with moly greases is that I am not as sold on it as others have been. Perhaps the issue is more with bearings as you said but I'm much more a fan of just making sure things are lubed regularly so that metal isn't on metal.

So far we haven't seen any leaking or dripping with our high temp grease which I cannot say the same for the greases we were using prior. Can't remember what we used to use but I do recall that I found it leaking out more often or quickly compared to the high temp we have been using.

I think I will stick with the high temp since it seems to fill the joints very well and so far has appeared to last longer. We run pretty frequent oil changes and grease each time so I figure we are doing well and any failures we are getting seem to be just poorly made parts.

Speaking of... the AC Delco's that just arrived were made in the USA. Guess we'll see how they hold up. I'm looking forward to finally getting the front end all shored up again.

Pulled off the upper control arm on the passenger side and it went well so I'll go ahead and remove all four and get them ready for painting prior to pushing in the new bushings which will arrive on the 1st.

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
nikothenomad #741082 September 29th 2018 2:57 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
I know a lot of people burn out the rubber on control arm bushings, I sacrificed a drill bit instead. Getting a hacksaw blade in the inside to score the interior of the outer casing, then hitting the outer side end with a chisel on that score line can have them easily drop out of the control arm. Trying to press them out will likely mangle the control arm.

Do you have access to a press? Installing the new UC bushings, I had access to a 20 ton press and was surprised how hard I had to pull on the lever to seat the Mfers.

nikothenomad #741083 September 29th 2018 5:27 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
68, thanks. yes, i have watched videos on and read about the many variations of removing control arm bushings. then i went to advanced auto and rented their control arm bushing press. i've also got access to an air gun for that extra umph if needed. i have seen information about deforming the control arm so i am well aware of that potential problem and will be on the look out for issues. seems like the biggest issue is with the design of the LCA because there is just one bushing split between the two sides and if you don't put something between the two you can get deformation.

i feel pretty confident that with the rental tool it will go well. then again.... i haven't started yet HA HA

my biggest question is about the angle of the upper control arm shaft. does it only go in that way or can i get it backwards or angled wrong? since i plan to sand down and paint everything marking them somehow seems out of the question. i'm hoping that the shaft only fits one way but haven't found any information on it yet so have put off taking the shaft out so far.

Nicole
nikothenomad #741084 September 29th 2018 6:49 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
ok i think i answered one of my own questions. although the bar does rotate once i loosen the end bolts, the bar doesn't come out. now i see why you mentioned burning or drilling. hmmmmm. interesting. i will have to see what i can come up with. not quite what i had been thinking was my plan.

Nicole
nikothenomad #741112 October 01st 2018 1:25 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Yep, cant really get the bushings out with the rod in place, can't get the rod out with the bushings in place.

Upper control arm bushing replacement on Dodge vans is not a fun job unless you like the smell of burning rubber.

The LCA I cut a piece of red oak to size and held it in place when i used he ball joint press to install the bushing to kepe the press from deforming the LCA.

Pressing the new bushings in with a press with the rod in place, in a professional auto repair shop, also required a bunch of different spacers, though i guess one can actually seat the bushings with the pivot bar in place and use the pivot rod nuts to seat them.

Its been since 2011 or perhaps 2010 since I did mine, so the memory is not fresh.

nikothenomad #741118 October 01st 2018 8:39 am
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
68, well until last night i thought i was fortunate to have found the bushing kit that i did. the c clamp that it comes with has a 'c' on the end and 'c' shaped pushers (open on one side) so that they fit around the shaft bar. unfortunately when i went to use it i discovered that the 'c' on the end of the clamp had been completely misshaped by the last person to rent it so none of the cups fit into it correctly.

i tried it several times and made some progress but when it came to the final push the clamp could not contain its parts under pressure. so, i've contacted the store and they will have another (hopefully in good shape) one in for me at 11.

i'm looking forward to trying it because i was surprised to find a kit that would fit around the shaft.

meanwhile, last night i decided to play around with a drill on one of the bushings and cut (with small very sharp saw) the outer rubber away and then took a drill bit to the inner rubber. it actually went quite well for the portion that i did but then dinner was calling and i never took it to the end.

i'd rather try the press if it works so we'll see what happens with the new kit they get in today.

Nicole
nikothenomad #741134 October 01st 2018 2:12 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Ha! Well, second rental had stripped C clamp and bolt. Now awaiting third rental box to arrive from another store to see if we can finally get a whole set that is in good enough condition to finally remove the control arm bushings!

Nicole
nikothenomad #741149 October 01st 2018 11:10 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Rental tools, Oh the Joy!

Hope you have been able to rust treat and prep the control arm for paint while you wait. I like 99 cent store scrubbie sponges post wire wheeling loose rust, and OSPHO.

Sacrificing a drill bit, and you could had those old bushings out by now ;)

and be admiring your newly painted control arm.

nikothenomad #741153 October 02nd 2018 10:06 am
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Well, that is true! I could have them out by now but I am determined to see how the press works. And.... I have not yet decided on my paint choice so no admiring for a good long while I am sure!

Speaking of, the third rental tool that I got was brand spanking new. However... for some reason, my originals have a washer between the bushings and the shaft bolt hole. It seems to be causing some problems in that it doesn't quite fit and match the diameter of the interior rubber surface and is just slightly smaller in diameter than the outside metal of the bushing.

Nothing I have seen shows this washer and it doesn't come with new bushings but I don't want to destroy it (yet) in case I discover that for some reason it is supposed to be there!

Nicole
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod