1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: For those who like a challenge: mysterious blown fuses.
UncleCreepy #682779 February 23rd 2015 7:21 pm
Maniac
Maniac
If the bulbs are rusted tight in the sockets you may need to break the bulb and wrestle the metal base out with a pair of pliers. Be sure to disconnect the battery first. Rusted in bulbs are bad anyway because you need to be able to remove them to replace them. Maybe try sraying a penetrating lubricant such as Knock 'Er Loose or PB Blaster in the sockets and let it soak for a few hours. Are you remembering to push in and then twist counterclockwise? Don't cut your fingers.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
AdSense long
UncleCreepy #683073 February 26th 2015 6:12 pm
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
One of the bulbs pretty much fell off when I touched it. I mangled it up pretty good trying to get the base out.

I'll wait for a warm day and mess with the bulbs some more, and check the trailer hitch wiring. Thanks for the tips!

UncleCreepy #683080 February 26th 2015 6:52 pm
Maniac
Maniac
When you get the old bulbs out and put the new bulbs in, be sure use some dielectric grease around the base of the bulbs.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
UncleCreepy #686582 April 14th 2015 12:24 am
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Sorry for the delay: I've been out of town and the weather has been bad.

I replaced all of the non-working exterior bulbs, and used dielectric grease as recommended. I can't see much of the trailer hitch wiring, but what I can see looks fine.

I ran out of 20A fuses, so I used 25A fuses and neither blew. I purchased more 20A fuses, and figured out that everything works fine when the engine is not running, but when I try to turn signals or hazard lights with the engine running, the fuses pop pretty quickly.

I replaced the turn signal flasher unit based on a recommendation, but that did not fix anything.

So..... where do we go from here? smile
My thought is to start testing individual sockets or, but I'm not sure what to check for.

UncleCreepy #686584 April 14th 2015 1:03 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
When incandescent bulbs are fed more voltage, they consume more current too, so the engine running having the voltage up in the mid 14's is enough to blow 20 amp fuses but not 25.

But there is still obviously a problem somewhere as these bulbs should not be blowing a 20 amp fuse.

About the trailer wiring harness, the actual connector itself is less likely the issue compared to where the installer took the power from.

They use these wire taps which one places over the wire, and squeezed to puncture the insulation and make contact with the wire.

These will always fail at some point, it is just a matter of time, because the insulation is compromised, and the very act of tapping the wire here breaks a lot of the wire stranding.

So I would investigate the trailer wiring harness where it taps into the original wiring harness. The headlamp switch itself on the dash passes all the current for the signal lights, and the headlamps too. Look for burnt insulation or corrosion at the headlamp switch connector.

get a can of this:
http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-C...28987560&sr=8-1&keywords=CAIG+d5

No other electrical contact cleaner comes close. others just flush dirt and grease, Deoxit removes oxidation, and enhances conductivity of the mating metals.

Do note that Di-electric grease prevents water and oxygen intrusion and thus corrosion, in theory. It also helps heat transfer, it does not clean electrical contacts and does not conduct electricity.
When it gets really old it can actually cause issues.

UncleCreepy #686587 April 14th 2015 6:47 am
Vanner
Vanner
I believe the wiring harness for the rear lights go over the drivers door and along the upper bulkhead to the rear, where it splits left and right over the left rear cargo door... If any paneling is screwed in that area it may have gone\rubbed through and is shorting when the van moves....

Primary cause is trailer hitch wiring usually though, where some drill the hole through the floor, leave it dangling and do not use a grommet....

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
UncleCreepy #740731 September 23rd 2018 2:02 am
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Thanks for the replies gents. I'm back at this again. Still haven't solved it!

Something has to be wrong with the left side turn signals, and I highly suspect it has something to do with the left rear wires or plug.

Any recommendations on checking the socket with a volt meter and what to test or look for?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
frscke1 28
CatFish 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747